Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by newarenanow »

pfim wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Idk how ppl insult the holier than though psu fans. They definitely were, but all fan bases take on different personas

If something like this happened to the penguins... Flyers fans could definitely insult us for always acting like we're better
Look, I'm sure I share common thoughts, morals etc with people on this board, and I may even like some of you. But I'm a person with my own thoughts and beliefs, I don't share a "Penguin's persona" with anyone. Generalizing based on someone's loyalty to a sports team is beyond absurd.
This sounds like a typical Pens fan response.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Rocco wrote:
PSU saw their coach fired and disgraced, their 2011 season tanked, their 2012 recruiting class torpedoed, and will have this stigma around them for 50 years. I don't think they will be untouched by any defintion of the word.
I don't think the things you've listed here are just punishments for what was done. Not even close. And let's face it, things are very much back to normal on the fundraising and recruiting trails.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
PSU saw their coach fired and disgraced, their 2011 season tanked, their 2012 recruiting class torpedoed, and will have this stigma around them for 50 years. I don't think they will be untouched by any defintion of the word.
I don't think the things you've listed here are just punishments for what was done. Not even close. And let's face it, things are very much back to normal on the fundraising and recruiting trails.
For now, yes. We'll see if PSU actually holds these recruits from Meyer this time.

I'm not sure there is a just punishment. Actually, there is- put the people responsible in jail. That's what is going to happen.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Rocco wrote:I'm not sure there is a just punishment. Actually, there is- put the people responsible in jail. That's what is going to happen.
This. Not sure why so many people seem to be missing this.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Rocco wrote:
I'm not sure there is a just punishment. Actually, there is- put the people responsible in jail. That's what is going to happen.
Agree with the first part. Don't agree with the second. Certainly the arm of justice should (and will) extend far beyond the criminal proceedings. Sanctioning the program itself is the crux of the issue for me, and there doesn't seem to be any method for doing so. Things will be back to normal for the program soon enough, and that's unjust imo.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Question,

If a company covered up a man molesting children in it's offices....how would the company be punished?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Troy Loney wrote:Question,

If a company covered up a man molesting children in it's offices....how would the company be punished?
The individuals involved in the cover up would be charged criminally, and multiple civil suits would likely be filed by the families against the company. I'm sure there would be some government sanctions too.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

shafnutz05 wrote:

The individuals involved in the cover up would be charged criminally, and multiple civil suits would likely be filed by the families against the company. I'm sure there would be some government sanctions too.
And the PR nightmare would likely cost the company its business, which doesn't seem to be happening here. It's not a good comparison.

Even if it was, the penalties the company faced wouldn't necessarily be just.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

shafnutz05 wrote:

Depends on how big the company is. If you can tank the world economy and put countless numbers of people around the world out of work, and then receive money from the government, then covering up a child rape is probably worth a free few billion.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

If it was a store, or a regional branch, or something like that I could see the main office shutting it down. Fast food joints that were drug dealing spots were shut down for those reasons.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

They'd likely be charged with violating various criminal conspiracy statutes, and if state lines were crossed they'd be looking at RICO charges.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Those involved in the cover up would be brought to trial. Fines would be levied on the company by the government, and those that do business with the company would most likely stop being associated with the company. The biggest punishment to the company would come from the civil suits against it by those molested and the shareholders of the corporation stopping and/or removing their investment in the company.

The same things will and are happening at PSU. Curley and Schultz are being brought to trial for perjury and failure to report a crime. The government may fine the school. The school is being sued by those molested. Contributions and applications to the school may fall, and advertisers associated with the school may pull out.

The added difference is the NCAA. How they should react to the situation is open to debate.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

pittsoccer33 wrote:

If it was a store, or a regional branch, or something like that I could see the main office shutting it down. Fast food joints that were drug dealing spots were shut down for those reasons.
Bars too. There was a bar I used to live by that covered up a drug dealer and the whole place was shut down.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

The company would be liable for the actions of their leadership wouldn't it? There are going to be serious financial implications here right?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Troy Loney wrote:The company would be liable for the actions of their leadership wouldn't it? There are going to be serious financial implications here right?
of course
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

The problem I have with the general blood lust of the media frenzy is that this is the case of a few bad eggs. We have gone from a society that used to demand punishment just for those responsible, to a society where we want people not remotely associated with the incident in an arena and fed to the lions. I blame the media entirely for this. Justice is punishing the people responsible only.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

AlexPKeaton wrote:The problem I have with the general blood lust of the media frenzy is that this is the case of a few bad eggs. We have gone from a society that used to demand punishment just for those responsible, to a society where we want people not remotely associated with the incident in an arena and fed to the lions. I blame the media entirely for this. Justice is punishing the people responsible only.

So you don't think the institution is at all responsible for the people they put in charge of running it?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Troy Loney wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:The problem I have with the general blood lust of the media frenzy is that this is the case of a few bad eggs. We have gone from a society that used to demand punishment just for those responsible, to a society where we want people not remotely associated with the incident in an arena and fed to the lions. I blame the media entirely for this. Justice is punishing the people responsible only.

So you don't think the institution is at all responsible for the people they put in charge of running it?
or that the enviornment of that institution had anything to do with the decisions the people made?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Troy Loney wrote:

The "institution"? No. The group of people that should have been responsible for over site, maybe.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Troy Loney wrote:

i would agree with you if they weren't already in the process of wiping the slate clean and rebuilding. give me the names of the people that were responsible for this and let me know if they're still employed by Penn State. if they are, then they need to go.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

or that the enviornment of that institution had anything to do with the decisions the people made?
PSU people don't seem to bite on this line of thinking, they don't think there's anything wrong with being obsessed with PSU football.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

Well if the environment is responsible, we better charge everyone with a State College zip code, since when they went to Mr. Stanley P. Environment's house to charge him they found out he was really just a beaver, and beaver's can't be held responsible.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Troy Loney wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

PSU people don't seem to bite on this line of thinking, they don't think there's anything wrong with being obsessed with PSU football.
And people worked up by the media don't understand what justice is.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

It's too bad the media wasn't involved in 1998.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Troy Loney wrote:PSU people don't seem to bite on this line of thinking, they don't think there's anything wrong with being obsessed with PSU football.
Because Steelers football in Pittsburgh is any different.