Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

2013 Death Penalty.

The University must be punished for this. A year of not profitting from football is just. However many years that fallout impacts the school? Tough.

It also gives the current kids in the program who had nothing to do with this a year to figure out their future. They should be able to talk to any school at anytime during the current year.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

I love how people are more concerned with the death penalty than actual legal justice against the people who covered this up.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:2013 Death Penalty.

The University must be punished for this. A year of not profitting from football is just. However many years that fallout impacts the school? Tough.

It also gives the current kids in the program who had nothing to do with this a year to figure out their future. They should be able to talk to any school at anytime during the current year.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

steve784 wrote:I love how people are more concerned with the death penalty than actual legal justice against the people who covered this up.
Seeing Penn State's football program get the death penalty would be the height of orgiastic fantasy to a lot of people out there.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Despite the fact that I would love Matt McGloin to never step on the field at Beaver Stadium again, that's not exactly the way I want it to happen.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

I hardly ever am a proponent of the Death Penalty in college sports but it would be just ridiculous here. None of the administrators or coaches involved in the coverup that happened more than ten years ago are still at PSU, but hell, let's screw over all the innocent players and students at the university!
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

There are most certainly a lot of people that are far more concerned with seeing Penn State's football program get sentenced than the other people that covered this up. Penn State is not a repeat offender. Penn State did not gain a "competitive advantage". The employees that broke the law are either in court or headed that way. This is a legal issue, not under NCAA jurisdiction.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

shafnutz05 wrote:

Has there ever been a bigger case of lack of institutional control?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Despite my own personal objection to it, I fully expect the NCAA to come in and deliver the sweeping leg kick to pretty much end this football program for years to come.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

Please point me to an NCAA rule that was violated. Then show me how PSU was a repeat violator which would bring the death penalty into play.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:]Has there ever been a bigger case of lack of institutional control?
This is the biggest issue that the NCAA can look at, and a valid one.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

shafnutz05 wrote:There are most certainly a lot of people that are far more concerned with seeing Penn State's football program get sentenced than the other people that covered this up. Penn State is not a repeat offender. Penn State did not gain a "competitive advantage". The employees that broke the law are either in court or headed that way. This is a legal issue, not under NCAA jurisdiction.
Is Penn State a member of the NCAA? It's most certainly under their jurisdiction.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yeah, I think people are missing out on the "repeat violator" aspect of it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
steve784 wrote:I love how people are more concerned with the death penalty than actual legal justice against the people who covered this up.
Seeing Penn State's football program get the death penalty would be the height of orgiastic fantasy to a lot of people out there.
I don't know why it's so out of the question. If a sports program at another school was used as a conduit to harm children, and that harm was knowingly and actively covered up, how could you argue against shuddering it other than by saying "the only ones hurt will be the innocent players and their fans."
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Rocco wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

Please point me to an NCAA rule that was violated. Then show me how PSU was a repeat violator which would bring the death penalty into play.
I'm sure there are plenty of NCAA code of conduct violations.

You are right. I guess it is only a first-time violation. They covered it up and let it happen multiple times and wrapped it all under a "first-time" offense.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
I don't know why it's so out of the question. If a sports program at another school was used as a conduit to harm children, and that harm was knowingly and actively covered up, how could you argue against shuddering it other than by saying "the only ones hurt will be the innocent players and their fans."
Oh no, I'm not saying it's out of the question, and I think it might happen.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, I think people are missing out on the "repeat violator" aspect of it.
It also still has the power to ban a school from competing in a sport without any preliminaries in cases of particularly egregious violations.

Also, that's a weak statement to hang your hat on, given how far above and beyond the situation at Penn State goes.
Last edited by King Sid the Great 87 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote: I'm sure there are plenty of NCAA code of conduct violations.

You are right. I guess it is only a first-time violation. They covered it up and let it happen multiple times and wrapped it all under a "first-time" offense.
None of which will apply to the football team but to the administration. It's a criminal conspiracy which is going to result in the people involved going to jail and the DOE going after PSU. The NCAA's rules don't fit the situation here.

And as strange as it sounds, you have to be found guilty first to be a repeat violator.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
I like how you include the word "only" in your quoted text when you can scroll up and see that's not what I said at all.

Who would the Death Penalty be punishing right now? Certainly nobody currently at the University.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local- ... g-1089510/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Per the letter, Penn State will be required to answer several questions – outlined below – once the NCAA has received responses, according to the letter, it will decide on what actions, if any, to take next.

How has Penn State and/or its employees complied with the Articles of the Constitution and bylaws that are cited in this letter?

How has Penn State exercised institutional control over the issues identified in and related to the grand-jury report?

Were there procedures in place that were or were not followed?

What are the institution's expectations and policies to address the conduct that has been alleged in this matter upon discovery by any party?

Has each of the people alleged to have been involved or to have had notice of the issues identified in and related to the grand-jury report behaved consistently with principles and requirements governing ethical conduct and honesty? If so, how? If not, how?

What policies and procedures does Penn State have in place to monitor, prevent and detect the issues identified in and related to the grand-jury report or to take disciplinary or corrective action if such behaviors are found?

More specifically, the bylaws and articles stated in the letter to Penn State include the following:

Article 2.1: "It is the responsibility of each member institution to control its intercollegiate athletics program in compliance with the rules and regulations of the Association. The institution's president or chancellor is responsible for the administration of all aspects of the athletics program. These principles of institutional control are further elaborated on in Articles 6.01.1 and 6.4 of the NCAA constitution. "

Article 2.4: "For intercollegiate athletics to promote the character development of participants, to enhance the integrity of higher education and to promote civility in society, student-athletes, coaches, and all others associated with these athletics programs and events should adhere to such fundamental values as respect, fairness, civility, honesty and responsibility. These values should be manifest not only in athletics participation, but also in the broad spectrum of activities affecting the athletics program.

Bylaw 10.1 requires that individuals "act with honesty and sportsmanship at all times so that intercollegiate athletics as a whole, their institutions and they, as individuals, shall represent the honor and dignity of fair play and the generally recognized high standards associated with wholesome competitive sports."

Emmert commented on Bylaw 10.1 in some detail, stating that "while admittedly, the actions alleged to have occurred in this instance are not specifically listed in the bylaw, it is clear that deceitful and dishonest behavior can be found to be unethical conduct. Surely, the spirit of the bylaw also constrains behavior that endangers young people."

Bylaw 19.01.2 states that "individuals employed by or associated with member institutions for the administration, the conduct or the coaching of intercollegiate athletics are, in the final analysis, teachers of young people. Their responsibility is an affirmative one, and they must do more than avoid improper conduct or questionable acts. Their own moral values must be so certain and positive that those younger and more pliable will be influenced by a fine example. Much more is expected of them than of the less critically placed citizen."
After reading that by the letter of the law they should get it. If that's the rule, then follow it. I'd be behind a punishment like that, just not in a "OMGZ PENN STATE SUCKS HAHAHAHAHAHA SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!" kind of way.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

shafnutz05 wrote:There are most certainly a lot of people that are far more concerned with seeing Penn State's football program get sentenced than the other people that covered this up. Penn State is not a repeat offender. Penn State did not gain a "competitive advantage". The employees that broke the law are either in court or headed that way. This is a legal issue, not under NCAA jurisdiction.
Is Penn State a member of the NCAA? It's most certainly under their jurisdiction.
The NCAA isn't a criminal legislative or judicial body.

Look, it's obvious this was covered up to protect the football program, so let's dispense with the "no competitive advantage" aspect of this.

However, the NCAA is probably the most impotent sports governing body in the US. It isn't equipped to deal with this sort of situation, nor should it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, I think people are missing out on the "repeat violator" aspect of it.
It also still has the power to ban a school from competing in a sport without any preliminaries in cases of particularly egregious violations.

Also, that's a weak statement to hang your hat on, given how far above and beyond the situation at Penn State goes.
What NCAA violations are applicable here? Lack of institutional control isn't a violation.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Staggy wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
I like how you include the word "only" in your quoted text when you can scroll up and see that's not what I said at all.

Who would the Death Penalty be punishing right now? Certainly nobody currently at the University.
I don't think many instances of the death penalty would only affect those that were at X University. That's not really the greatest argument. The repeat violations part will probably save them.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

The death penalty and NCAA sanctions rarely affect those who are currently at the university, that's not really a valid reason to not sanction a school, no.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

pfim wrote:

What NCAA violations are applicable here? Lack of institutional control isn't a violation.
Not to mention the institution had too much control over the process, which was the problem in the first place.