Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by steve784 »

For PSU alum........I would KILL to hear what Frank Clemente would say about all of this.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Long story short the report concludes Spanier, Shultz, Curley, and Paterno actively concealed the molestation allegations.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
steve784 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I'll always love Penn State (the institution), and I'll never waver from that. Paterno's legacy is dead to me.
Well put. Have felt the same for a while now......hoped that the Joe stuff was overblown, but obviously it wasn't. Screw him.

Also, the amount of practically glee about this by some of the Pittsburgh media today is pretty sick.
This is the other side of the coin that makes me a little ill. There is a very vocal contingent of Pitt fans (have noticed this less with other "rivals") that are having a hell of a hard time disguising their thinly veiled glee at all of these events. They'll act outraged if you suggest that, but there is no question that there are a lot of people that are sincerely enjoying this. That is just as sick as the rest of the case.
I don't really care one way or the other, but I can totally understand the satisfaction that some get out of Paterno being dragged into this solely due to the "JoePa is the greatest thing to ever happen" attitude that Penn State people were always quick to quip about. I grew up in Pittsburgh and lived just outside of Philly for 2 1/2 years, and the Paterno crap was never ending. "JoePa is so benevolent. He's not like Tressel. Penn State has never had a major violation, blah, blah, blah."
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

How can anyone separate "the university" from "the scandal?"

I'm not suggesting that students are somehow complicit, or that the head of the english literature department is, or that the algebra teaching assistants are. Nobody's degree is "cheapened" by this.

But the president, several vice presidents, and the head of the football program (who was one of if not the most well known collegiate employee in the country) conspired to hide the molestation of children to benefit the football team (and therefor university donations). How can that not be considered an epic failure and morally reprehensible on the part of the institution at large?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I find it interesting Pitt fans are singled out as gloating over this. I haven't heard it, and I work with a lot of Pitt fans. Some are just as disappointed as Penn State fans.

I am hearing it from my Ohio State coworkers. They are the ones, while not gloating per se, are laughing at the expense of Penn State.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

I don't feel this way, but from my view Paterno and PSU have always had a "holier than thou" attitude, especially towards Pitt. I think it's unrealistic to expect everyone to have a level head about the situation.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Wow.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... ccess.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

pittsoccer33 wrote:But the president, several vice presidents, and the head of the football program (who was one of if not the most well known collegiate employee in the country) conspired to hide the molestation of children to benefit the football team (and therefor university donations). How can that not be considered an epic failure and morally reprehensible on the part of the institution at large?
To be fair, the bolded statement relies on the benefit of hindsight (i.e. Sandusky has been found guilty of child molestation during this time frame), and a HUGE assumption that, given knowledge of Sandusky's horrible actions (not allegations, rumors, conjecture, etc), they would've acted in the same manner in order to protect a football programs image and earning potential.

Had he been charged and prosecuted in '98, when there was at least enough evidence to submit it to the DA, 2001 never happens. There is no one in this mess that is clean, but the fact that this will all fall on Paterno is disgusting. He didn't do enough, and failed horribly, but he's going to take the lion share (no pun intended) of this on the jaw when there are others IMO that failed far worse.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

I still can't believe this story hasn't been more closely tied with all of this yet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

steve784 wrote:Wow.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... ccess.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I walked through the HUB (which i'm assuming that's what they're talking about) around 9 AM. There were maybe 10 or so people watching the big TV.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Freeh on Paterno:
"We have a great deal of respect for Mr. Paterno, and condolences for his family on the loss. It's a person with a terrific legacy, a great legacy, who brought huge value to, not just the university but the program. He, as someone once said, made perhaps the worst mistake of his life. But we're not singling him out. We're putting him in a category of four other people who we would say are the major leaders of Penn State. But he also was a major leader of Penn State."

Freeh then went on to add, "There's a whole bunch of evidence here, and we're saying the reasonable conclusion from that evidence is he was an integral part of this active decision to conceal. I regret that, based on the damage it does, obviously, to his legacy because he is no longer here. I wish we had had the opportunity to speak to him. I wish we had had the ability to show him those emails. We found those emails, as you know, after he was deceased."
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

malkinshair wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:But the president, several vice presidents, and the head of the football program (who was one of if not the most well known collegiate employee in the country) conspired to hide the molestation of children to benefit the football team (and therefor university donations). How can that not be considered an epic failure and morally reprehensible on the part of the institution at large?
To be fair, the bolded statement relies on the benefit of hindsight (i.e. Sandusky has been found guilty of child molestation during this time frame), and a HUGE assumption that, given knowledge of Sandusky's horrible actions (not allegations, rumors, conjecture, etc), they would've acted in the same manner in order to protect a football programs image and earning potential.

Had he been charged and prosecuted in '98, when there was at least enough evidence to submit it to the DA, 2001 never happens. There is no one in this mess that is clean, but the fact that this will all fall on Paterno is disgusting. He didn't do enough, and failed horribly, but he's going to take the lion share (no pun intended) of this on the jaw when there are others IMO that failed far worse.
paterno was the most powerful man on campus. when you are the most powerful man on campus, and something bad happens, and that bad thing invovles someone who was a long time employee, you better believe the most powerful man on campus is going to get the finger pointed at him.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Spanier, Shultz, Curley, and Paterno are the ones to take the fall. Paterno will get the most blame due to his public image of being an extremely good person who would always do the right thing.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

steve784 wrote:I still can't believe this story hasn't been more closely tied with all of this yet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder, given everything that has shaken out with this report, if this case will be reopened.

And a question. Can it be reopened, if he has been declared legally dead? (He has been.)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Oh yeah, it can definitely be reopened at any time. Those are referred to as "cold cases".
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

llipgh2 wrote:
steve784 wrote:I still can't believe this story hasn't been more closely tied with all of this yet:

I wonder, given everything that has shaken out with this report, if this case will be reopened.

And a question. Can it be reopened, if he has been declared legally dead? (He has been.)
I have no idea. I was in school there when this all went down and I do remember one conspiracy theory being around some huge heroin ring bust they were working on. I think you can add this one to the conspiracy theories for that disappearance as well.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

I feel people are over stating the pitt thing. I was at the pirates game in Cleveland, and there was a "Sandusky" chant started when a group of pirate fans started cheering. This wasn't 3 idiots, it was pretty loud. I think, as someone said, there's a lot of people that are going to have a hard time keeping a level head when PSU took a holier than thou attitude for decades. These people aren't just pitt fans.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Matt Millan on ESPN couldn't look/sound more ridiculous, but for him thats obviously something he's great at. Every time he talks about this, he follows up with "well, the Joe I know wouldnt do that" And reading the parts of the report that don't name the four names specifically, and just say "Penn State" he keeps harping on that part saying, "Im still curious as to who thats refering too." WHO THE F DO YOU THINK IT MEANS YOU MORON??
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

ulf wrote:I feel people are over stating the pitt thing. I was at the pirates game in Cleveland, and there was a "Sandusky" chant started when a group of pirate fans started cheering. This wasn't 3 idiots, it was pretty loud. I think, as someone said, there's a lot of people that are going to have a hard time keeping a level head when PSU took a holier than thou attitude for decades. These people aren't just pitt fans.
I get where people are coming from with points like this, but at the same time they're not valid. So if something like this happened in the Flyers organization, you're telling me yinzer Penguins fans wouldn't chant "Holmmmmmgren" (or whoever) at Flyers fans because there was no prior 'holier than thou' attitude? Get real. There are always morons who will find humor in situations like this.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Oh yeah, it can definitely be reopened at any time. Those are referred to as "cold cases".
Ok, thanks. Wasn't sure what the criteria was for cold cases.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Matt Millen has come off like a total ******* throughout.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Matt Millen has come off like a total ******* throughout.
How does he get hired to do anything.........seriously?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

It's disgusting that all involved covered this up. As far as Joepa of course he's going to take the brunt he was and largely is still the public face of PSU. Everything that will be said about him is deserved, he was a bad person.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

steve784 wrote:
ulf wrote:I feel people are over stating the pitt thing. I was at the pirates game in Cleveland, and there was a "Sandusky" chant started when a group of pirate fans started cheering. This wasn't 3 idiots, it was pretty loud. I think, as someone said, there's a lot of people that are going to have a hard time keeping a level head when PSU took a holier than thou attitude for decades. These people aren't just pitt fans.
I get where people are coming from with points like this, but at the same time they're not valid. So if something like this happened in the Flyers organization, you're telling me yinzer Penguins fans wouldn't chant "Holmmmmmgren" (or whoever) at Flyers fans because there was no prior 'holier than thou' attitude? Get real. There are always morons who will find humor in situations like this.
That's my point. There's morons outside of, and including pitt fans. PSU people pointing out pitt fans gloating aren't realizing its happening everywhere.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

ulf wrote:That's my point. There's morons outside of, and including pitt fans. PSU people pointing out pitt fans gloating aren't realizing its happening everywhere.
No I agree with you.