Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by count2infinity »

May 1998: "Curley notifies Schultz and Spanier that he has "touched base with" Paterno about the incident. Days later, Curley emails Schultz: "Anything new in this department? Coach is anxious to know where it stands."
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I'll always love Penn State (the institution), and I'll never waver from that. Paterno's legacy is dead to me.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

So actual police interviewed him in 1998? I don't have a problem if they basically cleared him until the next incident.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Freeh presser at 10...on 93.7 among other outlets.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

shafnutz05 wrote:I'll always love Penn State (the institution), and I'll never waver from that. Paterno's legacy is dead to me.
I give you credit for taking that stance. From what I'm seeing on twitter/internet/tv right now, many PSU alum don't have the guts to even go close to that route.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

AlexPKeaton wrote:So actual police interviewed him in 1998? I don't have a problem if they basically cleared him until the next incident.
that's what I'm getting. they interviewed him and he claimed it was nothing sexual and they just said, "okay, don't do it again..."
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

AlexPKeaton wrote:So actual police interviewed him in 1998? I don't have a problem if they basically cleared him until the next incident.
No, that's fine. But when you view the lack of action in 2001 through the prism of everyone knowing about 1998, it's terrible.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I'll always love Penn State (the institution), and I'll never waver from that. Paterno's legacy is dead to me.
I give you credit for taking that stance. From what I'm seeing on twitter/internet/tv right now, many PSU alum don't have the guts to even go close to that route.
At some point, you have to wonder what it will take for these people to realize that their idol was a fraud and a bad human being.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Agreed.

This is disgusting.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
At some point, you have to wonder what it will take for these people to realize that their idol was a fraud and a bad human being.
I don't think most ever will
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

ulf wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
I don't think most ever will
By most, I'm sure you mean a small, vocal minority.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I wouldn't say I "worshipped" Paterno, but I certainly adored him growing up and had a soft spot in my heart for him. That is all gone now. There are others that will never admit that he did anything wrong, but that's just the way it is.

Let's make it clear that the majority of alumni recognize what he should have done and didn't.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

count2infinity wrote:
that's what I'm getting. they interviewed him and he claimed it was nothing sexual and they just said, "okay, don't do it again..."
how much of that light scolding had to do with the fact that he was a football coach at the top of his game? if joe schmoe uses that "horsing around excuse" does he get away with it? the penn state football culture and air of holiness contibuted in large part to this travesty.

it also raises more questions about sandusky's "retirement" in 99.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Well put. Have felt the same for a while now......hoped that the Joe stuff was overblown, but obviously it wasn't. Screw him.

Also, the amount of practically glee about this by some of the Pittsburgh media today is pretty sick.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I think it's pretty clear Sandusky's retirement came about from what happened in '98.

I just can't believe they gave him access to the football facilities (including with children, etc) for ten full years after 2001. Jesus
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

shafnutz05 wrote:I think it's pretty clear Sandusky's retirement came about from what happened in '98.

I just can't believe they gave him access to the football facilities (including with children, etc) for ten full years after 2001. Jesus
Seriously. It almost feels like they gave him whatever he wanted just so he wouldn't blow the whistle on himself or something.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Is Spanier going to be charged with Curley and Schultz?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

steve784 wrote:
Well put. Have felt the same for a while now......hoped that the Joe stuff was overblown, but obviously it wasn't. Screw him.

Also, the amount of practically glee about this by some of the Pittsburgh media today is pretty sick.
This is the other side of the coin that makes me a little ill. There is a very vocal contingent of Pitt fans (have noticed this less with other "rivals") that are having a hell of a hard time disguising their thinly veiled glee at all of these events. They'll act outraged if you suggest that, but there is no question that there are a lot of people that are sincerely enjoying this. That is just as sick as the rest of the case.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

steve784 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I think it's pretty clear Sandusky's retirement came about from what happened in '98.

Seriously. It almost feels like they gave him whatever he wanted just so he wouldn't blow the whistle on himself or something.
it was a sort of blackmail. to this gentleman's untrained eye, it kind of explains why sandusky always had that crazy look on his face the past two months. he knew that he was wrong, but he also knew that when the truth came out, penn state would feel serious reprocussions.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Along with the utter disregard for the victims.......the pure STUPIDITY of these guys throughout this is just mind boggling.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yeah, the stupidity factor is incredible.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shafnutz05 wrote:I wouldn't say I "worshipped" Paterno, but I certainly adored him growing up and had a soft spot in my heart for him. That is all gone now. There are others that will never admit that he did anything wrong, but that's just the way it is.

Let's make it clear that the majority of alumni recognize what he should have done and didn't.
absolutely. this was mishandled right from the beginning. everyone reported it to someone that they thought knew how to handle it and no one did. Everyone sat back and said, "you take care of it." Joe even said it himself,
I didn't know exactly how to handle it and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was. So I backed away and turned it over to some other people. People I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn't work out that way.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Refresh me on the timeline:

Was Sandusky showing up at bowl games (with children) *after* he retired?
More specifically, after 2001?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

columbia wrote:Refresh me on the timeline:

From the timeline I didn't see anything about more bowl game trips, but it did say he was in a suite at a game in 2011.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

steve784 wrote:
columbia wrote:Refresh me on the timeline:

From the timeline I didn't see anything about more bowl game trips, but it did say he was in a suite at a game in 2011.
Gotcha...thanks.