The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Post by Ossa »

Bioshock wrote:Paul Alexander is probably my most hated radio host currently in the city. Just an arrogant, talentless hack. Also, he has the audacity to put down other hosts when he clearly has no talent to speak of. He clearly hates hosting the morning show as well
When Alexander had a solo show on KDKA awhile back, I really enjoyed his show. However, now he is kinda annoying. It seems like he just adds in his 2 cents just so he can be heard with the "look at me" kinda feel to it. I listen to the morning show occasionally so I might not know enough about him, but it seems to me that he doesn't work well with two or three other hosts along side him.

Worst by far is Andrew Fillipponi. He doesn't know anything about hockey and he is worse than Colin Cowherd. Can't stand him.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

viva la ben wrote:Well, Vinny gave his regular sign off..looks like he will be back.
Maybe the Lord ain't willing or the creek will rise this time.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Ossa wrote:Worst by far is Andrew Fillipponi.
Yeah, it ain't even close.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Can you imagine if Cook and Alexander hosted a show together?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I just got into this twitter argument with some guy I never met because I ripped Filiponi about his stance on the Crosby deal over a week ago. I was bored so I said what the hell I'll go for it. The guy was telling me that Poni is right to not like to cuz Crosby's 1 ill timed hit away from the Pens being in salary cap hell. (I dont think I need to explain my response to you guys) I explained how Poni just didnt like it cuz his schtick is to be a contrarian. This guy just kept hitting back that he's not contrarian, he's opinionated unlike the other homers on that station and that he's "Going places." I just told the guy that this station is so 4th rate and he's widely considered the worst on there. Thats why everyone wants Mueller in his spot. LOL it was just really weird. If this guy wasnt tagging @ThePoniExpress in every tweet I'd swear it was just Andrew himself on a different name.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Also when Sutton got the pie in the face on Monday by Burnett, Alexander was getting ready to interview Sutton. He got some shaving creme on his probably free ROOT polo shirt and shot a dagger at Burnett and pouted for a few seconds. The more I hear from him the more I think he is an actual egotistical jerk.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

jimjom wrote:Also when Sutton got the pie in the face on Monday by Burnett, Alexander was getting ready to interview Sutton. He got some shaving creme on his probably free ROOT polo shirt and shot a dagger at Burnett and pouted for a few seconds. The more I hear from him the more I think he is an actual egotistical jerk.
He was on Root Sports Twitter feed spelling Eric Bedard's name wrong. Once, sure. Two, Three, Four,etc.... Yeah, you are covering the team, you should learn their names. Ass shoes.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Kovy27 wrote:
jimjom wrote:Also when Sutton got the pie in the face on Monday by Burnett, Alexander was getting ready to interview Sutton. He got some shaving creme on his probably free ROOT polo shirt and shot a dagger at Burnett and pouted for a few seconds. The more I hear from him the more I think he is an actual egotistical jerk.
He was on Root Sports Twitter feed spelling Eric Bedard's name wrong. Once, sure. Two, Three, Four,etc.... Yeah, you are covering the team, you should learn their names. Ass shoes.
Erik Bedard?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Kovy27 wrote:
Alexander's air of superiority is unreal. Colony is a down to earth guy. I've had an opportunity to meet him when the Fan was newer at an appearance, and he couldn't have been nicer. Giannotti has that NYC thing about him, tries to mix in the morning zoo aspect of radio in with sports but at least he's trying while at the helm (albeit his "trying" IMO is "auditioning for a job in a bigger city"). Alexander's work with Root and the Fan is boiling down to collecting a pay check. Seriously for as much history as the guy has here, I don't recall ever seeing him until about 10 years ago or so - I guess he was a weekend guy on a network newscast?
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

If you're listening tonight, just in case you missed it, Colin Dunlap does not like caller driven talk radio. Again, he does not like caller driven talk radio. In case I did not make myself clear, Colin Dunlap is NOT a fan of caller driven talk radio.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

For as marbled-mouth as Vinnie can be at times, he really enunciates the hell out of Neal Huntington's name every time he says it. "HunT-TING-TON"
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Was not in favor of trade for Justin Upton. Filjabroni agrees with me. May need to re-evaluate opinion.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm listening to WFAN until baseball resumes.
da Fan is really reaching now.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

columbia wrote:I'm listening to WFAN until baseball resumes.
I like how every show today talked in length about Cutch's tweet about his flight, but then talked about how it wasnt a big deal and really petty to pick at. But then the show after that would bring it up, say the same thing, then the show after that would bring it up....
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm listening to WFAN until baseball resumes.
I like how every show today talked in length about Cutch's tweet about his flight, but then talked about how it wasnt a big deal and really petty to pick at. But then the show after that would bring it up, say the same thing, then the show after that would bring it up....
Meh, I can't even say I blame them

There really is nothing going on right now
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

This morning, some guy called in and said that the Homerun derby should add different elements to it such as including "skill hitting" and other types of skill related items because power hitters dominate it.

The Morning show just laughed and said they should include layups in the slam dunk contest and running skills in a passing contest.

It was hilarious. The caller was upset because McCutchen didn't win.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I hope they keep Vinnie...because he's - gasp - just about the best there.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

What talent?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Its odd because in Pittsburgh the fan spanked espn. I mean they changed 1250 to disney radio, and put espn on 970 which doesnt even reach all of alleghenny county.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Chris Mueller isn't all that bad. Gut the station make it national till like 3pm. Throw Madden and colony on from 3 till 7. Mueller from 7 to 11. I'd be happy with that.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

The Fan is just awful radio and i hate that they are being successful enough to have a "radio chain" like this all around North America. Tons of cities have "The Fan" and it's all caller driven radio that sucks. It's lazy radio. I kinda like to think of it as the Walmart of radio broadcasting.

Trib-live radio and Clear Channel are leaps and bounds better programming because the Hosts drive the show and take the voice of the show away from the morons like you and me who call in.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

The problem with trib live radio is that its not really radio ie its not on the fm or am dial, and clear channel plays music during their talk shows.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

viva la ben wrote:The problem with trib live radio is that its not really radio ie its not on the fm or am dial, and clear channel plays music during their talk shows.
Yeah, i feel ya. Madden really needs to get in his next contract that no music be played. I really like Trib-live though. The discussions between Dejan, Guy, Steigerwald, Laird, Yohe and Rossi is far better programming than anything The Fan has.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Bioshock wrote:
viva la ben wrote:The problem with trib live radio is that its not really radio ie its not on the fm or am dial, and clear channel plays music during their talk shows.
Yeah, i feel ya. Madden really needs to get in his next contract that no music be played. I really like Trib-live though. The discussions between Dejan, Guy, Steigerwald, Laird, Yohe and Rossi is far better programming than anything The Fan has.
I have to agree. If I'm at my desk between 10am and noon, I try to tune in to Trib Live. Steigerwald definitely voices some things that wouldn't go over too well at the Fan.