The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Post by Member »

I realize they own the rights to the Pirates/Panthers broadcasts, but just kill the station if you're not going to do an 'all Pittsburgh Sports' format.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Hopefully all the national stuff is for overnights.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

viva la ben wrote:Hopefully all the national stuff is for overnights.
Does anyone know if they're an "I heart radio" station? I'm to lazy to look it up.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

epp, no they are not. i heart radio is for clear channel only, methinks. the fan is a cbs station
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:epp, no they are not. i heart radio is for clear channel only, methinks. the fan is a cbs station
Got it.. Thanks.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

They are not on iheartradio. They do have apps for iPhone and Android. The Android one is called "CBS Pittsburgh". I think they black out the Fan during Bucco games on their app, though. The last time I tried listening it was playing KDKA-AM.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I use the TUNE IN app on my andrioid phone for the fan. They also have WYEP on said app.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

newarenanow wrote:
IronDukes37 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:...It's been a while since they shook up the station...
2 January 2013 CBS radio flips the switch on their 24/7 national sports radio network (CBS Sports Radio).
Pittsburgh's 93.7 is earmarked as one of the stations slated to carry a portion of national content.
Still trying to find out what that all means (how much national vs local), this rumor could be a precursor to the pending changes.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 75545.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That kind of sucks IMO. I loved the "all Pgh" format.
IIRC, either heard/read that 93.7 was planning to defer on the national content aside from late nights, big events, and top of the hour sports news updates. However, this may have changed since then.

Not sure how I'd feel about a national syndicated AM/PM drive show. Despite Alexander, The Machine, and Poni being absolute dog mud, I don't know if I could deal with a New York/Boston/LA-centric nationally syndicated show based on some I've tuned in to recently.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Meh, national shows are available on 970 and 540. For all its faults if The Fan went away I personally would miss the local content.
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ned Braden »

It should be ... even a national hack beats hearing Pirate/Pens pre-game talk after they've played the next game ... it'd be nice to not hear the same update every 20 minutes for 5 hours, too.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Streaks House wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
IronDukes37 wrote:
2 January 2013 CBS radio flips the switch on their 24/7 national sports radio network (CBS Sports Radio).
Pittsburgh's 93.7 is earmarked as one of the stations slated to carry a portion of national content.
Still trying to find out what that all means (how much national vs local), this rumor could be a precursor to the pending changes.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 75545.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IIRC, either heard/read that 93.7 was planning to defer on the national content aside from late nights, big events, and top of the hour sports news updates. However, this may have changed since then.

Not sure how I'd feel about a national syndicated AM/PM drive show. Despite Alexander, The Machine, and Poni being absolute dog mud, I don't know if I could deal with a New York/Boston/LA-centric nationally syndicated show based on some I've tuned in to recently.
If they do this it will die just like ESPN 1250 did. National shows don't work in Pittsburgh. No one listens.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Bioshock wrote:
Streaks House wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
IronDukes37 wrote:

If they do this it will die just like ESPN 1250 did. National shows don't work in Pittsburgh. No one listens.
I hope Terry Fox and gang know this. The guy is a moron.

Someone I actually miss that was on 93.7:
Spoiler:
#KalenaBellWatch :scared:
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Agree. Although I like to pick on Vinman and his obsession with the word "again" and the phrase "and again um er so again and erm Cookie" but I'd rather listen to them from 10-2 than the godawful Jim Rome show or Fabulous Sports Babe or that guy that has the Greek name that played for USC. DO NOT WANT. The only national show I ever liked was when Bob Valvano had an overnight show on 1250 from 2001-2005.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Big Ben maler got me through many late shift a couple years ago on fox sports radio.
Last edited by FreeCandy44 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

good god the fabulous sports babe is horrible.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Some guy called in The Fan this AM and was arguing with PA about the value of a closer. The guy was obviously into sabremetrics, throwing all kinds of stats at PA as to why the closer isn't all that valuable (he was arguing that the Pirates should trade Hanrahan for a bat).

Not that I agree with the caller, but he was making a VERY compelling argument and deserved to be heard. PA pulled the "Im in the club house after every game, you have no idea how important a closer is, blah blah blah." He also kept cutting the caller off each time he tried making a point and kept pulling the "I'm with the team every day card" and ended up hanging up on the guy. It was the most arrogant, condescending piece of radio I've heard in a long time.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

kenny the kangaroo addressed that very same call in the pirates thread. alexander is a d-bag and his points sucked. "WELL HOW MANY WORLD SERIES DID THE YANKEES WIN WITH MARIANO RIVERA PAL?!?" as if to imply that the only reason that the yanks won anything was their closer. Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Andy Petite, etc. etc. had nothing to do with it. It was all mo rivera. right.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I saw you mention that KTK. Im glad someone else on here heard it. I couldn't believe the arguments that were coming out of the mouth of a so called "professional."
SteelCityVoice

Post by SteelCityVoice »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Some guy called in The Fan this AM and was arguing with PA about the value of a closer. The guy was obviously into sabremetrics, throwing all kinds of stats at PA as to why the closer isn't all that valuable (he was arguing that the Pirates should trade Hanrahan for a bat).

Not that I agree with the caller, but he was making a VERY compelling argument and deserved to be heard. PA pulled the "Im in the club house after every game, you have no idea how important a closer is, blah blah blah." He also kept cutting the caller off each time he tried making a point and kept pulling the "I'm with the team every day card" and ended up hanging up on the guy. It was the most arrogant, condescending piece of radio I've heard in a long time.
I love how Paul Alexander constantly mentions Root Sports, and how he gets to stand right next to the dugout.

I'd love the chance to do some mainstream sports talk radio here in Pittsburgh. I like to think my style would be conversation, logical debate with fans. Just two guys talking sports. I have never felt the need to talk down to people when covering the Pittsburgh Power.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

also calling someone a nerd and telling them to go play with an abacus does not score points for professionalism.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by TheGhostofGoulet »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:kenny the kangaroo addressed that very same call in the pirates thread. alexander is a d-bag and his points sucked. "WELL HOW MANY WORLD SERIES DID THE YANKEES WIN WITH MARIANO RIVERA PAL?!?" as if to imply that the only reason that the yanks won anything was their closer. Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Andy Petite, etc. etc. had nothing to do with it. It was all mo rivera. right.
In 1996, the Yankees closer was John Wetteland, who bolted for the Texas Rangers after winning the WSMVP.

Who was the Yankees set-up man that year?

Yes, none other than Mariano Rivera, who made the transition from 7th/8th inning guy to the greatest closer in baseball history, so yes Paul Alexander, it is possible to switch from a set-up man to a closer.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Paul Alexander is probably my most hated radio host currently in the city. Just an arrogant, talentless hack. Also, he has the audacity to put down other hosts when he clearly has no talent to speak of. He clearly hates hosting the morning show as well
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

So I'm sitting here in my car listening to the last half hour of Richichi.....trying to figure out if this will be his last broadcast. He seems very professional, and I doubt he'd even mention it.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Well, Vinny gave his regular sign off..looks like he will be back.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Bioshock wrote:Paul Alexander is probably my most hated radio host currently in the city. Just an arrogant, talentless hack. Also, he has the audacity to put down other hosts when he clearly has no talent to speak of. He clearly hates hosting the morning show as well
It is very close between Alexander and "The Poni". I met Alexander at the Igloo. Said hi to him, he just ignored us until I called him a dbag.