I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: I'm bored, lets talk Nash

Post by GenoMachino71 »

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:Why don't we just trade Jordan Staal for Rick Nash. I mean its pretty obvious that Staal wants out after not signing a 10 year $60 million contract with us. So package Staal who can be the face of a franchise for Nash and give Sid the winger he needs...
Staal would not resign with Columbus....

so you think they would trade Nash to get a 1 year rental of Staal before he gets the hell out of there??
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

GenoMachino71 wrote:man there are some bad posts in there.....

can we make a post and pin it to the top saying Paul Martin and/or Tyler Kennedy are not hot/valuable assets that will be key players in landing a guy like Nash, Ryan, or Yandle
It won't be read or will be ignored.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens15 »

Yeah, our utter lack of NHL ready forward prospects make this hard to see happening.

Then again, if we had any of those, we'd probably just as soon be keeping them anyway.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

I think this has been mentioned before, but a three-way trade may be in order here.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens15 »

Mr. Colby wrote:Columbus doesn't have to lower their asking price. Nash is signed for 6 more friggin years, there's no rush. Other teams will get desperate, so they should just wait it out.

And enough with this crap about having a guy on your team that doesn't want to be there. They are open to trading him, so he needs to act like a professional and be patient. He will get his when someone wants him bad enough to pay the asking price.

And the other thing - teams will get into a bidding war.

So case in point - Pens don't have what it takes to get him and won't later because the asking price may never be lowered.
With that being the case, I could see him not moving. Columbus will have to realize that they are not going to get an Eric Lindros type haul for Rick Nash. Just don't think it's going to happen. So either they lower the price, or they will end up keeping him.
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by RainbowsAndCottonCandy »

GenoMachino71 wrote:
RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:Why don't we just trade Jordan Staal for Rick Nash. I mean its pretty obvious that Staal wants out after not signing a 10 year $60 million contract with us. So package Staal who can be the face of a franchise for Nash and give Sid the winger he needs...

so you think they would trade Nash to get a 1 year rental of Staal before he gets the hell out of there??

Thats true, I guess we should just keep Staal...
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by GenoMachino71 »

Tico Rick wrote:I think this has been mentioned before, but a three-way trade may be in order here.
that would get super complicated.... I'm not quite sure how it would work too

I doubt a team like NY, Philly, Det, SJ, etc would get in a 3 way deal to help the Penguins get Nash...

they would basically be trading some of their forward prospects to Columbus and getting some of the Penguins DMen prospects in return..... I dont see that happening

its really hard to piece together a 3 team deal involving the Penguins getting Nash.... I just dont think too many teams in the East will want to help the Penguins land Nash
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Krom »

Sign Weber to an offer sheet the Preds might not match, then trade Letang to Jackets for Nash.

Of course, you'd burn all your bridges with Nashville. Who could, in turn, do the same with Malkin down the line.
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by GenoMachino71 »

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:

Thats true, I guess we should just keep Staal...
I thought the Staal deal was really good actually

I'd rather have Sutter/Pouliot/Dumoulin than Staal for 1 more season before he bolted for Carolina
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by GenoMachino71 »

Krom wrote:Sign Weber to an offer sheet the Preds might not match, then trade Letang to Jackets for Nash.

Of course, you'd burn all your bridges with Nashville. Who could, in turn, do the same with Malkin down the line.
wow

I'm speechless after this one :face:
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Krom »

GenoMachino71 wrote:
Krom wrote:Sign Weber to an offer sheet the Preds might not match, then trade Letang to Jackets for Nash.

wow

Why be speechless? This is a message board.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Krom wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:

wow

Nashville can never sign Malkin to an offer sheet.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Krom »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Krom wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:

wow

Nashville can never sign Malkin to an offer sheet.
In keeping with the majority of posts on this thread, I was speaking in the hypothetical. Sarcasm can get lost in translation.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

It's not even hypothetical. Malkin can't be signed to an offer sheet because at his next deal, he won't be a RFA
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by GenoMachino71 »

Froggy wrote:It's not even hypothetical. Malkin can't be signed to an offer sheet because at his next deal, he won't be a RFA
not to mention the Penguins would pretty much have to offer Weber a 10+ year and like $14 million per season for Nashville not to match.....

so the Penguins would give up 4 1st round picks and crush their salary cap.... just so they could trade Letang to get Weber and Nash

thats some brilliant management!!!!!
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Krom »

GenoMachino71 wrote:
Froggy wrote:It's not even hypothetical. Malkin can't be signed to an offer sheet because at his next deal, he won't be a RFA
not to mention the Penguins would pretty much have to offer Weber a 10+ year and like $14 million per season for Nashville not to match.....

so the Penguins would give up 4 1st round picks and crush their salary cap.... just so they could trade Letang to get Weber and Nash

thats some brilliant management!!!!!

Now you're getting it.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by It'sagreatdayforhockey! »

penny lane wrote:since Sid made a commitment to the pens, it is beyond time to make one back to him.
He needs a quality, not ancient & not on a tryout-out contract wing.

That's easy and the solution helps solve 2 problems.

Give Crosby; Neal and Kunitz. Give Malkin; Kennedy and Martin. Crosby gets his wingers, Malkin has a terrible year and takes a pay cut. That will leave us with the cap space to sign Parise and Suter next year.
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by GenoMachino71 »

penny lane wrote:since Sid made a commitment to the pens, it is beyond time to make one back to him.
He needs a quality, not ancient & not on a tryout-out contract wing.
I agree with you, but again, at what price

do you potentially gut your farm system to bring in a guy like Nash or Ryan? I dont know.... I guess it depends on what the price is and I'm sure they've made some calls to see the asking price...

do you take a gamble and sign Semin to a multi-year deal (because I doubt he has signs a 1 or 2 year deal)

at worst, the Penguins go into next season with pretty good cap space to still potentially bring in a good player via trade and can have Crosby with Kunitz/Dupuis (which he's had alot of success with) and Malkin with Neal

thats still a damn good top 2 lines/top 4 forwards with 3 legit all stars

but I agree, ideally, the Penguins should get Crosby a winger who can score 30+ goals a year next to him to repay him for taking much less salary that he could have taken
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Kennedy. Vitale. Jeffrey. Our only homegrown forwards on the NHL roster outside of Sid and Evgeni. This is a problem.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by GenoMachino71 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Kennedy. Vitale. Jeffrey. Our only homegrown forwards on the NHL roster outside of Sid and Evgeni. This is a problem.
not really because 3 homegrown guys in Goligoski, Staal, and Whitney brought in Kunitz, Neal, and Sutter

who cares how you get them.... whats it matter if you trade a homegrown DMan for a forward.... its not like they can only sign free agents on huge deals to get good players on the Pens

and its funny that you have to say "outside of Crosby and Malkin"...... arguably the 2 best players in the NHL..... why not include them?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

GenoMachino71 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Kennedy. Vitale. Jeffrey. Our only homegrown forwards on the NHL roster outside of Sid and Evgeni. This is a problem.
not really because 3 homegrown guys in Goligoski, Staal, and Whitney brought in Kunitz, Neal, and Sutter

who cares how you get them.... whats it matter if you trade a homegrown DMan for a forward.... its not like they can only sign free agents on huge deals to get good players on the Pens

and its funny that you have to say "outside of Crosby and Malkin"...... arguably the 2 best players in the NHL..... why not include them?
They were "gimme" picks...
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Because the Penguins got extremely lucky and had no choice but to pick them? You're right, it doesn't matter where you get them, but our D prospects will fetch significantly less than Goligoski right now. The problem with waiting for a trade to get a forward is that the price and 'value' fluctuates depending on exogeneous factors (outside the Pens control) such as the cap room, who won the Cup with what type of players, and other teams' needs. Right now, the price is extremely high for any of these forwards (so it has been said) and the Penguins literally do not have the pieces to put together a solid trade for one. It will probably be years before you can expect one of our D prospects to bring in a similar return to the Gogo trade outside of possibly Despres.
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by GenoMachino71 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Because the Penguins got extremely lucky and had no choice but to pick them? You're right, it doesn't matter where you get them, but our D prospects will fetch significantly less than Goligoski right now. The problem with waiting for a trade to get a forward is that the price and 'value' fluctuates depending on exogeneous factors (outside the Pens control) such as the cap room, who won the Cup with what type of players, and other teams' needs. Right now, the price is extremely high for any of these forwards (so it has been said) and the Penguins literally do not have the pieces to put together a solid trade for one. It will probably be years before you can expect one of our D prospects to bring in a similar return to the Gogo trade outside of possibly Despres.
the thing is, the Penguins dont NEED to make any trades right now to improve their top 2 lines.... they have 3 all star caliber players in Crosby, Malkin, and Neal.... Kunitz is good for 20 to 25 goals and Dupuis should be around 20

the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line is proven already.... it was great when they were together in the past and I imagine that line will be together to start the year if they make no major additions before the season..... and Neal and Malkin have each other

so while it would be great to get Crosby another winger, its not an absolute necessity right now

the Penguins arent going to be forced to trade a player they dont want to trade to get Crosby that winger, because it isnt a huge need right now..... Ray Shero is not an idiot.... I'm sure he knows what the value of his young DMen are right now and what they could fetch now or down the road in a trade.... if he makes a deal, I'm sure it will be one hes comfortable with and has evaluated from all angles
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

GenoMachino71 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Because the Penguins got extremely lucky and had no choice but to pick them? You're right, it doesn't matter where you get them, but our D prospects will fetch significantly less than Goligoski right now. The problem with waiting for a trade to get a forward is that the price and 'value' fluctuates depending on exogeneous factors (outside the Pens control) such as the cap room, who won the Cup with what type of players, and other teams' needs. Right now, the price is extremely high for any of these forwards (so it has been said) and the Penguins literally do not have the pieces to put together a solid trade for one. It will probably be years before you can expect one of our D prospects to bring in a similar return to the Gogo trade outside of possibly Despres.
the thing is, the Penguins dont NEED to make any trades right now to improve their top 2 lines.... they have 3 all star caliber players in Crosby, Malkin, and Neal.... Kunitz is good for 20 to 25 goals and Dupuis should be around 20

the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line is proven already.... it was great when they were together in the past and I imagine that line will be together to start the year if they make no major additions before the season..... and Neal and Malkin have each other

so while it would be great to get Crosby another winger, its not an absolute necessity right now

the Penguins arent going to be forced to trade a player they dont want to trade to get Crosby that winger, because it isnt a huge need right now..... Ray Shero is not an idiot.... I'm sure he knows what the value of his young DMen are right now and what they could fetch now or down the road in a trade.... if he makes a deal, I'm sure it will be one hes comfortable with and has evaluated from all angles
They need to get somebody to fill that last top 6 spot. Kennedy isn't it, and Tangradi please give me a break, he will be lucky to make the roster. Shero has to do something, I guess will find out before camp what his plan is.