The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Post by Troy Loney »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:this morning, toolbag alexander was talking about how casey mcghee is so much more comfortable at 3rd compared to 1st. of course, alexander started to relate and was yakking about how even if hes just fooling around with the kids, he always goes straight to shortstop becuase thats where he played when he was growing up. the dude loves self promotion

I think I heard once on the radio that he had his high school football jersey framed and hanging in his game room....He probably has his middle school baseball jersey framed next to it.
His own wife called in to confirm
Alexander is a huge tool bag know it all. I think the know it all Pittsburgh Sports Media types is the genre I hate the most (Pompeani, Savran, Alexander, Dunlap and DK every know and then).
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Alexander living up to his bill this morning. Railing on Dude Where's my Car....what an idiot, is he going to come in some monday morning and rip on the childishness of saturday morning cartoons? Then some guy calls in and clearly states that he lives in atlanta, and mentions how he wants them to be on national TV. Alexander jumps all over it because he doesn't care about that....Colony is just like, he wants them on national TV so he can get a chance to watch them.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I like how Alexander seems super mad that Giannotti got the week off. Like he mentions it multiple times a day. So what???? Like he's the senior member of the show and he should have the first crack at vacation?

The show without Giannotti is pretty bad with Alexander at the helm. I really like Colony but Alexander is taking the show down this week with his mopey voice and the vacation comments. Doesn't even sound like he wants to be there.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:joe bendel, now heres a guy that loves using the term guy.
Now here's a guy who also loves to wonder where the Steelers would be if they added a Rashard Mendenhall or a Hines Ward, or where the Pens may be if they could get a Zach Parise or a Ryan Suter. Here's a guy who would also love to see the Pirates add another bat like an Andrew McCutchen or a pure power bat like a Pedro Alvarez.

(When he discusses rosters, player moves, etc., he ALWAYS describes a player by using "a/an" in front of their name.)

For what it's worth, I do like Bendel, especially as it gets closer to Pitt football season as he's one of the few journalists in the mainstream media that devotes a significant amount of time towrds talking about it.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Stoosh wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:joe bendel, now heres a guy that loves using the term guy.
Now here's a guy who also loves to wonder where the Steelers would be if they added a Rashard Mendenhall or a Hines Ward, or where the Pens may be if they could get a Zach Parise or a Ryan Suter. Here's a guy who would also love to see the Pirates add another bat like an Andrew McCutchen or a pure power bat like a Pedro Alvarez.

(When he discusses rosters, player moves, etc., he ALWAYS describes a player by using "a/an" in front of their name.)

For what it's worth, I do like Bendel, especially as it gets closer to Pitt football season as he's one of the few journalists in the mainstream media that devotes a significant amount of time towrds talking about it.
Flip side to this is personalities who think the Steelers should look for the Mendenhalls and Wards.

A Joe Bendel when he is not overdoing the Pitt talk. A guy like me turns the station because I don't give 2 craps about Pitt sports.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I love these calls: Pirates should trade for Cole Hamels, but they shouldn't give up anything to get him. Then unfortunately the knowledgeable caller with the retort that you have to give more than the equivalent of two top prospects because of the compensatory picks is inarticulate and unable to fully state his point.

I like Colony, but he's really slacking. He's oblivious to the fact that losing a group A FA brings in the compensatory pick and either the 1st or 2nd round pick from the team that signs him. Then for some reason he's talking as if Cain is starting on Saturday night, I don't think the Giants are going to bring Cain out on 1 day rest, do you Colony?
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

Mark Madden ‏@MarkMaddenX
Here's a rumor about The Fan: Vinny out, Pompeani 2co-host mid-day w/Cook. Cud he do that, &TV, 2? That's a long day
Last edited by Member on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Member wrote:
Mark Madden ‏@MarkMaddenX
Here's a rumor about The Fan: Vinny out, Pompeani 2co-host mid-day w/Cook. Cud he do that, &TV, 2? That's a long day
If that is true I almost feel bad for vinny. Heck...dump cook. Send him to an old folks home where his disposition would be expected.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

kind of blows for vinnie. he is a good person. can you imagine the d-baggery with cook and pomp?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Good god, pompeani, wtf?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Would feel bad for Vinny. Although I love listening to Pomp. But like Madden says, that would be one heck of a long day for the guy.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

newarenanow wrote:Would feel bad for Vinny. Although I love listening to Pomp. But like Madden says, that would be one heck of a long day for the guy.
4 hours of pomp would be a long day for the listeners.
It's been a while since they shook up the station.
On another note I was surprised to hear Chris Mueller filling in for Jabroni yesterday evening. Much more listenable.
As bad as it sounds Siebel Starkey and Miller is the best show on the station.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Also I'd only feel bad for Vinny if Ron Cook stays on as he deserves to go too. Richichi is a hired gun he'll find employment somewhere else.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

viva la ben wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Would feel bad for Vinny. Although I love listening to Pomp. But like Madden says, that would be one heck of a long day for the guy.
4 hours of pomp would be a long day for the listeners.
It's been a while since they shook up the station.
On another note I was surprised to hear Chris Mueller filling in for Jabroni yesterday evening. Much more listenable.
As bad as it sounds Siebel Starkey and Miller is the best show on the station.
Did that hurt when you typed that statement above? SS&M are almost unlistenable.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Really the only person on the fan I absolutely can't stand is poni.. I have my beefs with some others, but nothing too bad

Conflicted on madden as a "source." on one hand it's probably made up like everything he states, on the other he probably actually could get legit inside info on pgh sports radio world as I'm sure he has friends / former co-workers over there

I actually like vinnie btw
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

The only guy I hate is Poni.

Everyone else is fine with me. I enjoy listening to them.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

lol the other night i was listening to Mueller and I caller thought he was Andrew Filiponi. So Mueller started doing a pretty good Poni impression and making fun of the guy for thinking they sounded alike. I tweeted him that Filponi's next show will now be "My question to you Pittsburgh...is....Do Chris Mueller and I sound alike" followed by 5 hours of phone calls.

He retweeted it and just sound how Poni does a good show yada yada.. Then some guy I dont know tweeted us both back and said "Or Poni's next show will be something like this.....With all these Pirate homeruns, is it time to start questioning the use of PEDs?" I thought both were pretty good representations of what his show is like.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Every single person I know loves mueller and hates poni... I just don't understand why it seems the station is so high on poni?

Maybe the ratings show poni is a "hate him so much but tune in to see what he has to say" type of guy though ala madden. Idk, for me I listen to the fan a ton until I hear poni's voice then it's automatic turn the dial time
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Poni and Alexander are terrible.
Dunlap does a better job than Poni at imitating Mark Madden.
Vinny is just plain goofy, Ron Cook is a grumpy old man.
Gianotti is being polluted by Alexander.
Orie and Sangrilli are plainer than nilla wafers.
Starkey, and Miller make up for Siebel.
Chris Mueller is the best host on the station.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

IanMoran wrote:Every single person I know loves mueller and hates poni... I just don't understand why it seems the station is so high on poni?

Maybe the ratings show poni is a "hate him so much but tune in to see what he has to say" type of guy though ala madden. Idk, for me I listen to the fan a ton until I hear poni's voice then it's automatic turn the dial time
I turn off the station when Poni comes on. Not only can't I stand his shtick, but I hate his voice as well.

As for Madden, he does push buttons to get callers and ratings, but to me, he does it in a very entertaining way that I love to listen to.

Poni is just a moron.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

viva la ben wrote:
I do agree with this. I LOVED listening to Gianottie when he was in the 6 time slot by himself.

While I think he is ok, I think he went down hill once he got on the morning show.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

viva la ben wrote:Poni and Alexander are terrible.
Dunlap does a better job than Poni at imitating Mark Madden.
Vinny is just plain goofy, Ron Cook is a grumpy old man.
Orie and Sangrilli are plainer than nilla wafers.
Starkey, and Miller make up for Siebel.
Chris Mueller is the best host on the station.
I agree with all of this. Giannoti was actually decent until the morning show.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

IronDukes37 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:...It's been a while since they shook up the station...
2 January 2013 CBS radio flips the switch on their 24/7 national sports radio network (CBS Sports Radio).
Pittsburgh's 93.7 is earmarked as one of the stations slated to carry a portion of national content.
Still trying to find out what that all means (how much national vs local), this rumor could be a precursor to the pending changes.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 75545.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That kind of sucks IMO. I loved the "all Pgh" format.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

newarenanow wrote:
IronDukes37 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:...It's been a while since they shook up the station...
2 January 2013 CBS radio flips the switch on their 24/7 national sports radio network (CBS Sports Radio).
Pittsburgh's 93.7 is earmarked as one of the stations slated to carry a portion of national content.
Still trying to find out what that all means (how much national vs local), this rumor could be a precursor to the pending changes.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 75545.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That kind of sucks IMO. I loved the "all Pgh" format.
There's one dude on that station that I hope is out of a job when this happens.

Sports journalists should report on the story, not be part of the story.