Suter & Parise sign with Wild

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Suter & Parise sign with Wild

Post by Idoit40fans »

canaan wrote:I don't get the reaction of Sullivan leaving. He is very replaceable and overrated
not unlike yourself. heyoooooooo
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Arlow wrote:They will instantly make the Wild a slightly better than .500 club.
IMHO I see it that way also. They still have basically the same team they had last year with a larger payroll. We'll see how far they go, if they go, into the playoffs. If a new CBA is agreed to they could be worse off if it's 65 mil or less. Guess we'll see on that one.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Just sign Huselius, Doan and Colaiacovo and I'm good 8-)
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by iceolater »

EJ Hradek‏@EJHradek_NHL

RT @Ledger_NJDevils: Lou: "I did reach out to (Ryan) Suter. He did not have any interest in coming to this conference."
There ya have it, Suter killed the Parise to Pens hopes. Never wanted to play in our conference.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

Sad the pens didn't get him, but happy the Wild did.

The Pens have their stars, the Wild really needed this. Good for them.

And don't talk crap on Minnesota. A lot of people here like Pittsburgh, so don't make an ass of yourself.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

They chose being on the same team and close to home over being on a team with any real hope of winning a cup anytime soon. Seems pretty dumb to me, but it was their choice. Minnesota will be better next year and might even squeak into the playoffs, but they are no real threat. I guess being close to family for the next decade means more than winning a cup for those two.
dukeharris

Post by dukeharris »

FallenHero96 wrote:Sad the pens didn't get him, but happy the Wild did.

And don't talk crap on Minnesota. A lot of people here like Pittsburgh, so don't make an ass of yourself.
Don't see any "crap" being talked here, just opinion.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

dukeharris wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:Sad the pens didn't get him, but happy the Wild did.

Don't see any "crap" being talked here, just opinion.
It was more in the other thread, but I was just throwing it out there.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Horatio, did you hear about Suter and Parise?

No.

Yeah, they both took the exact same deal to play in Minnesota together.

Well, that's certainly.... (sunglasses)... Wild.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Sams_Dog wrote: also like Shane Doan a lot. He's only like 32. I think. He would be a Gary Roberts type guy in the room..
Hes 35..36 this coming October. But yeah, for a year, maybe 2..
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

While I'm disappointed that the Pens didn't sign Suter and Parise, I'm a bit relieved that they didn't invest in two more long-term contracts. The fact Suter and Parise didn't sign with an existing contender helps ease the disappointment quite a bit.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Troy Loney wrote:
Bunkerman535 wrote:Like it or not the Penguins are not as good as they were last season. Losing both Parise and Suter stings, losing Staal hurts, losing Sullivan hurts. The team as it is composed now is not good enough to make a cup run. Now the Staal deal looks bad, Sutter will be ok but no help from the other guys for a while. Lots of cap space in today's NHL= losing.
Nonsense.
i don't see anything in there that's nonsense
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shmenguin wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
Bunkerman535 wrote:Like it or not the Penguins are not as good as they were last season. Losing both Parise and Suter stings, losing Staal hurts, losing Sullivan hurts. The team as it is composed now is not good enough to make a cup run. Now the Staal deal looks bad, Sutter will be ok but no help from the other guys for a while. Lots of cap space in today's NHL= losing.
Nonsense.
This team is most definitely capable of making a cup run with the players they have now. It's nonsense to think they can't compete with what they have.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Overstatement of the Year from Neil Sheehy: "This is like Gretzky going to L.A., Malkin and Crosby going to Pittsburgh," said Sheehy, Suter's agent. "It's a game-changer. It's huge. It's major league-type stuff. The Wild just got two of the best players in the league at their positions."
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Troy Loney wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
Nonsense.
This team is most definitely capable of making a cup run with the players they have now. It's nonsense to think they can't compete with what they have.
A team with Crosby and Malkin is always capable of making a cup run. That said, judging by the recent track record of the past few Crosby/Malkin teams, this team, as currently constructed, is going to have a tough time making much noise when it counts. Unless Bylsma gets fired.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

"The team as it is composed now is not good enough to make a cup run"

that's not gospel, but it's not nonsense either. especially since they also brought back the coaching staff that crapped all over the place in april.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shmenguin wrote:"The team as it is composed now is not good enough to make a cup run"

that's not gospel, but it's not nonsense either. especially since they also brought back the coaching staff that crapped all over the place in april.

Ok, but then that comment about missing out on Parise doesn't change that at all does it? Bringing in another impact offensive player would reinforce whatever inane mentality they went into the Flyers series with that they needed 5 goals a game to win.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Troy Loney wrote:
shmenguin wrote:"The team as it is composed now is not good enough to make a cup run"

Ok, but then that comment about missing out on Parise doesn't change that at all does it? Bringing in another impact offensive player would reinforce whatever inane mentality they went into the Flyers series with that they needed 5 goals a game to win.
parise makes a significant difference. he's more valuable than simply the sum of his abilities.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sams_Dog wrote:Overstatement of the Year from Neil Sheehy: "This is like Gretzky going to L.A., Malkin and Crosby going to Pittsburgh," said Sheehy, Suter's agent. "It's a game-changer. It's huge. It's major league-type stuff. The Wild just got two of the best players in the league at their positions."
Can't blame him for saying that....Imagine what his commission was on this deal!!

Silly statement though, nonetheless...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

shmenguin wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

parise makes a significant difference. he's more valuable than simply the sum of his abilities.
not to mention we suck at being healthy. that's an important consideration. picture sid or geno getting hurt and then compare this roster to last year's
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

KG wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:Overstatement of the Year from Neil Sheehy: "This is like Gretzky going to L.A., Malkin and Crosby going to Pittsburgh," said Sheehy, Suter's agent. "It's a game-changer. It's huge. It's major league-type stuff. The Wild just got two of the best players in the league at their positions."
Can't blame him for saying that....Imagine what his commission was on this deal!!

Silly statement though, nonetheless...
commission: 215,000/yr
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

These guys make the Wild better, no doubt, but I started trying to think of who the other Minnesota defensemen are and I could not come up with one off the top of my head.

So at F they have Parise, Koivu, Heatley, Seto as their only reliable top-6 options. At D they have Suter, and guys like Gilbert and Jared Spurgeon. Ho hum. At G they have an aging and underperforming Nick Backstrom. They're not that special.

No doubt though that those 2 guys made them a playoff team, and I'm happy for that organization to bring in 2 big names.

Those deals would be absurd here in Pitt, there's no way we could have competed with those offers as currently structured. I would never condone 13 years for a guy that isn't a franchise player.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

was there a need to sell tickets in Minny , for hockey? No. They haven't made the play-offs ince 03, that's what mr and mr parise-suter must do. ;)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

wut
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Parise is a franchise player, most certainly. Maybe not behind two other franchise players, but still.

Minnesota also has a reliable top 6 option in rookie Mikael Granlund. Granlund has been playing in and dominating SM-Liiga for the past two years. He'll have a little adjustment period, I'm sure, but he is going to be really, really good. They also have Jonas Brodin on defense who is coming over and making the jump this year. Judging by the reports from some of the NHL Swedes who played with Brodin internationally recently, he's going to be another good one. Then, of course, they grabbed Dumba this year. Larsson and Zucker should be NHLers soon too.

They'd be even further ahead if not for that terrible trade to dump Kim Johnsson's salary where they gave Leddy up for, lol, Cam Barker.

But, yeah, they're not an immediate contender. A playoff team and up-and-comer, though, definitely.