George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by largegarlic »

A big reason I refuse to read Martin's books is my experience with Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I think Jordan just got so enamored with the world he created (and undoubtedly, the checks that kept rolling in by extending the series) that he just kept introducing new characters and extraneous plot lines just as a way of playing around in this world. I kept reading the stupid books even though I stopped enjoying it after book 4 or 5.

After watching seasons 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones, I'm not sure I have good reason to think that Martin is going to be fundamentally different in this regard. I know there's going to be the pressure from HBO, but, if I remember correctly, Jordan knew for a while that he had a terminal illness and that didn't help him wrap things up in a timely manner.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I don't get that sense at all about the books.
Spoiler:
There are three key characters that emerge; Tyrion, Danerys and Jon Snow. Bran, Stannis, Arya, Cersei, Littlefinger and Theon would be the main supporting characters. Everyone else is just fodder to advance the story.
And unfortunately for the show...
Spoiler:
This is not about the Starks. They are a blip on the radar and the family name matters little at this point although the kids are still in the story. I think a lot of people who watched the show figured since Sean Bean was the biggest star and a main character early on that the series was about the Starks. I don't know how Winterfell remained in their hands for as long as it did.
As far as pressure from HBO, it will take them at least 5 more seasons to get through to the end of a Dance with Dragons. By that time the next book should be out and after that I think they could get another two seasons from that making 9 seasons.

If GRRM dies before finishing the 7th book then HBO can wrap up the Saga in one more season to make it 10 seasons.

But read the books, much better than the show.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the best part of the Danarys story in Clash of Kings was the trip through the House of the Undying. And they blew it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The Danaerys story line as a whole was painful this season... I felt myself groaning every time they went to it as opposed to the first season where I always looked forward to it. It seemed like they weren't entirely comfortable that the story as it stood in the book could hold up, but we ended up with a watered down and disappointing interpretation.
Spoiler:
So they decided that they needed a better reason to go to the House of the Undying. Fine, whatever... but they dragged it out over a few episodes. Once she found her dragons were missing, she should have gone to the HotU in the next episode, not spend an entire episode going "find my dragons!". They could have started the HotU in episode 8, ended with a cliffhanger and then picked it back up in the finale... that would have been much more effective, IMO.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Just finished season 2.

Danaerys' story line really dragged for me. Aside from that, Emilia Clarke needs to give me a call. Just saying.

Show Spoiler (lesson learned)
Spoiler:
I agree with you twc, I don't know much about the books but in the show they made the HotU sound so bad and all it was was a dark tower? That shows illusions of what seems to be her dreams and hopes? It just seemed meh.
as for the other plot lines
Spoiler:
The betrayal of Theon and his realization of going to far kind of redeemed him. Tyrion has gone from an annoying character into my 2nd favorite with his sheer awesomeness. Arya has grown on me to be a plot line I care about. And Jon Snow is my favorite character and am interested to see how his plot develops. My hope theory is the books/show will end with him and Denaerys as King and Queen of the realm with Tyrion being the Hand of the Royal Court. But I definitely doubt that haha
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Tyrion is an interesting character. He starts off as the hated "Imp", but the more you get into the story, the more awesome he gets. I am kinda sad that they left out one of my favorite lines from Book 2 though (at least I think it was in Book 2):
Spoiler:
"If I could pray with my ****, I'd be a lot more religious".
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

lol I will have to start using that line at any opportunity.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I watched the first 5 episodes of season one last night and am completely hooked.
The soft-core prOn factor was a bit of a surprise, but hey...no complaints on that.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

HBO apologizes over decapitated George W. Bush likeness in 'Game of Thrones'

http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/_ ... of-thrones

:lol:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If they didn't apologize no one would have even noticed aside from the people who actually watch director commentaries.

And it's funny.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

[youtube][/youtube]
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

:thumb:
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I ordered Dance with Dragons on amazon 2 weeks ago, and I still didn't receive it yet! It was scheduled to arrive today at the latest. Since tomorrow is the 4th, I'm gonna have to wait to see if it arrives Thursday. If not, I'm gonna have some complaining to do.

When I ordered the book I was super excited to read it, but now I don't know if I want to read it right now lol.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Just read very slow. :D
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

the wicked child wrote:Just read very slow. :D
In the grand scheme of things, it's best that I drag it out as long as I can. Otherwise I'll be waiting for 3+ years for the next one.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Season 3 is coming... March 31, 2013. :scared:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

the wicked child wrote:Season 3 is coming... March 31, 2013. :scared:
So far away :scared:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So....when will season 2 be on disc?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Most likely Feb 2013... HBO likes to release the sets about a month before the new season or so.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:Most likely Feb 2013... HBO likes to release the sets about a month before the new season or so.
Season 1 was released March 6. Yikes.

Until then there's always HBO Go.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Most likely Feb 2013... HBO likes to release the sets about a month before the new season or so.
Season 1 was released March 6. Yikes.

Until then there's always HBO Go.
Yeah... so not even a month before Season 2... so might be March again then for S2. Bleh.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the nice fella at the flea market yesterday was selling season 2 of GOT for $10 ...lol
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

For those who don't know, Martin posted a Theon chapter on his website from The Winds of Winter.
Spoiler:
Theon's chapter were, by far, my favorite chapters in ADWD. Even though I should have known better, I had no clue Theon was Reek early on, and was genuinely stunned when it was revealed.

Can't wait for Ramsay on the show. I really hope they don't combined Cleftjaw's and Ramsay's roles because it kinda looks like that may be the case. The guy who plays Cleftjaw just doesn't fit with my interpretation of Ramsay Snow - I mean Bolton!