Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Post by brwi »

Instead of the original 25. Really? Every time I think Gary Bettman has a clue he does something completely asinine like this. What the hell difference is 25 vs. 21 games and is it any way enough to override your league disciplinarian over 4 games? Just stupid, IMO.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Bettman lowers Torres' suspension to 21 games

Post by mikey287 »

- Unexpected amount of playoff games for Phoenix probably helped prompt this. Conventional "wisdom" says that 1 playoff game = 2 regular season games for suspensions.

- CBA negotiations coming up. Nothing says "look, the system works...it's fair" better than reducing a big suspension on the eve of discussions...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i thought the suspension was a little lengthy, given the comps, but the outrage over the lowering is a bit over the top.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I agree with lowering it. I also agree with the outrage, as its entertaining even if its not running as rampant as I had hoped.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Based on severity I guess I get it, but i'm not sure how you can agree with lowering his suspension. Repeat offender, pretty clear hit to the head, and a near complete reversal of the NHL's position at the time of the suspension:
Should the 25 games not be served by the conclusion of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the remaining games of the suspension will carry over into the following regular season. Torres will be prohibited from playing in any preseason games until he has served this 25-game suspension (playoff and regular-season games).
Should the suspension carry over to next season, because he is classified as a repeat offender under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Torres will forfeit $21,341.46 in salary for every regular-season game in which he is ineligible to play.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I agree with lowering it because it was excessive. It couldn't possibly be more simple.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I think it was a political move by Bettman.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

mikey287 wrote:I think it was a political move by Bettman.
this.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Pitt87 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I agree with lowering it because it was excessive. It couldn't possibly be more simple.
Simple? The NHL rallies against hits to the head for 2 years, overreacts to a vicious hit to a star player by a repeat offender in the playoffs, makes a clear example of him publicly and directly, then Bettman overrules the disciplinary committee admitting they overreacted and the penalty was excessive, reduces it by what is essentially an arbitrary number of games, thereby opening the door to appeal any long-term suspension here forward as a similar overreaction, and your position is that it couldn't be more simple?

Its a political move by Bettman. It has little to do with excess.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I agree with lowering it because it was excessive. It couldn't possibly be more simple.
Simple? The NHL rallies against hits to the head for 2 years, overreacts to a vicious hit to a star player by a repeat offender in the playoffs, makes a clear example of him publicly and directly, then Bettman overrules the disciplinary committee admitting they overreacted and the penalty was excessive, reduces it by what is essentially an arbitrary number of games, thereby opening the door to appeal any long-term suspension here forward as a similar overreaction, and your position is that it couldn't be more simple?

No, my position couldn't be more simple. And it has everything to do with excess. It was longer than most other suspensions handed out and was handed out during the playoffs. The original suspension was political and an overreaction. The adjustment was reasonable.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

No, my position couldn't be more simple. And it has everything to do with excess. It was longer than most other suspensions handed out and was handed out during the playoffs. The original suspension was political and an overreaction. The adjustment was reasonable.
I'd say Torres earned every game of that excessive suspension with his body of work over the years. The guy is a scumbag; it's amazing that Cooke gets all the bad press and Torres continues to play just as dirty a game as he ever did.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Torres was given that many games to guarantee he wouldn't play again in the post-season.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

So I am guessing Asham misses the first game of the Rangers season?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Considering there was no remorse from Torres or the Yotes on the hit it should have been increased.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Pitt87 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

The adjustment was an equal, opposite political overreaction. This is why no one trusts the NHL, including the PA, to do the right thing...
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

DelPen wrote:Considering there was no remorse from Torres or the Yotes on the hit it should have been increased.
Of course there was no remorse- it helped Phoenix win the series. He could have pretended to be upset and no one would have believed him.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Can bettman reduce the length of hossas concussion too