Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

MRandall25 wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Good lord. You really think the Joe in the e-mail isn't Joepa? Really? All of them were involved in this. Joepa is not bullet proof he actively participated in the coverup of child rape.
I don't know if it was Joe Paterno or not. How do you know it was?
Are there any other "Joes" implicated in this trial?

Thought so.
Joe Amendola? Just kidding. I realize the easy conclusion is to assume the Joe is Joe Paterno, but there remains a possibility that it is not Paterno but someone else.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

:lol: Inferring does not equal truth is all SDD is saying. Take what he is saying at face value.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

I'll say that while I'm convinced the Joe is that Joe, I do wonder about the context of the discussion.

On initially reading the email though, I got the sense that Joe convinced them they needed to talk to Sandusky. Not that he said it shouldn't be reported, but that a guy that's been a friend and practically a part of our family should at least get the benefit of the doubt and we should talk to him about what happened before any reporting took place.
This again goes back to McQuery's testimony, and just what did he tell Curley, Larry, and Joe. There have been varying degrees of testimony given on what he actually saw and heard, and what he relayed.

That doesn't absolve any of them, but if McQuery waffled or felt unsure of what had happenned, and you thought you ran the campus (that goes for any of the Stooges), wouldn't you go talk to your friend about it before reporting it to the police and possibly ending a guys career and (at that time percieved) life's work helping children.

The more I read it and people's opinions on it, the more I see Joe simply stating "don't report it. It'll ruin the school's image." But that may be more an effect of other people's interpretations than what is really being said.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:So the email that everyone is pointing to as implicating Paterno in a cover up allegedly states "After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps. I am having trouble with going to everyone but the person involved." The email is supposed to be from Schultz to Curley.

So from that email everyone is assuming two things: That Curley is refering to Joe Paterno and that Paterno convinced Curley to change his original course of action. How can anyone for certain state that Joe is Joe Paterno and not someone else? Also Curley states that he gave it more thought and talked it over, which means he might have been thinking about not reporting it before talking with "Joe". Also none of the emails state that "Joe" forced anyones hand in not reporting the situation further. It appears that the final decision not to report was made by Spanier after his emails with Schultz and Curley.

I am not saying that Paterno was not involved in any manner, just saying that everyone is jumping to conclusions based on this one email. There might be additional evidence that implicates Paterno further, but until that evidence comes out, it seems people are rushing to judgement.

how do we know that the Subject they reference is Sandusky? maybe they are talking about Engineering 101 or ANOTHER person that may have raped a boy?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

yes these emails are very confusing.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

this thread right now screams for the ALIENS meme
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:this thread right now screams for the ALIENS meme
due to one person...
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SirMario66 »

Actually, they coded the e-mails so that if a search like this came up it wouldn't be that easy to identify Sandusky and paterno.

In all the e-mails they refer to Sandusky as "the subject" and Paterno simply as "Joe" so that their names wouldn't come up in a search.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

SirMario66 wrote:Actually, they coded the e-mails so that if a search like this came up it wouldn't be that easy to identify Sandusky and paterno.

In all the e-mails they refer to Sandusky as "the subject" and Paterno simply as "Joe" so that their names wouldn't come up in a search.
that's tougher than the Navajo code to break.

:roll:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This is an unexpected nuance:
Freeh’s investigators are also exploring the circumstances surrounding Paterno’s decision to eventually hire McQueary as an assistant, the person familiar with the investigation said. McQueary, a former quarterback for Paterno at Penn State, has testified under oath that when he first contacted Paterno to inform him of what he had seen in the showers, Paterno assumed he was calling to ask for a job, and that Paterno brusquely told him he would not be hired.

McQueary was ultimately hired over another, more experienced candidate, and investigators are curious about whether that development came as a consequence of what he told Paterno that morning in 2001.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/sport ... wanted=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Is the NCAA "death penalty" back on the table?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I don't think the death penalty is fair to the players. I hate sanctions that punish the players and student body instead of those truly responsible.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Factorial wrote:Is the NCAA "death penalty" back on the table?
It shouldn't be. It's not an NCAA issue.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Rylan wrote:I don't think the death penalty is fair to the players. I hate sanctions that punish the players and student body instead of those truly responsible.
The more I think about it, the more I agree with whoever said it earlier (i'm not going to look back, so credit wherever it's due), the death penalty ALWAYS punishes innocent students.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Factorial wrote:Is the NCAA "death penalty" back on the table?
As an alumnus, that wouldn't bother you?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

If someone who thinks the NCAA death penalty or sanctions at all is a good idea could do the following:

1) please point me to a rule broken or show how somehow this gave a tangible competitive benefit that is impermissible to the football team;

2) explain the NCAA's "Repeat Violator" rule that governs when the death penalty is on the table should be cast aside;

I would appreciate it. It's not an NCAA issue. They have no legal or moral basis to intervene here. This is a criminal/civil matter best left to the courts and if the NCAA gets involved it will just create a bigger mess and a horrible precedent. If you think the rules should be changed to allow the NCAA to intervene, that's fine, but the rules as stated don't apply. And if you change the rules, you're basically saying you want the NCAA to be something it's not and that the NCAA should intervene whenever athletes get arrested. As someone else put it, asking the NCAA to get involved is like asking your HOA to investigate a triple murder.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Is the NCAA pursuing this angle?

NCAA to investigate Penn State loss of 'institutional control'
http://www.kgw.com/sports/NCAA-to-inves ... 37748.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

I'm not sure how you can say this is a lack of institutional control. If anything it's the exact opposite. The institution had too much control.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It will certainly be interesting to see what the NCAA has to say....if they are indeed looking at it from that perspective.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I think the point some are making is that when you let the football coach run the school, and overrule even the presidents decisions, you run the risk of things being done solely for the beneifit of the football program. Obviously you'd never think it would result in something such as this, but in a way it did.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

DudeMan2766 wrote:I think the point some are making is that when you let the football coach run the school, and overrule even the presidents decisions, you run the risk of things being done solely for the beneifit of the football program. Obviously you'd never think it would result in something such as this, but in a way it did.
What happened at PSU is a criminal conspiracy, and those involved are likely going to jail. The school will be writing large checks very soon. The Department of Education is sniffing around. Why exactly do we feel the need to say the NCAA should get involved when it's not clear there is any reason or jurisdiction to get involved and would create an awful precedent no one really wants? What's the point, other than to show how much we care that we feel there must be a more extreme punishment?
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

The Paterno family wants all the emails released and claimed the email shown on CNN was out of context in a purposeful smear campaign:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... s-released
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

"It is clear that someone in a position of authority is not interested in a fair or thorough investigation."

No, they weren't.
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SirMario66 »

Staggy wrote:The Paterno family wants all the emails released and claimed the email shown on CNN was out of context in a purposeful smear campaign:
Be careful what you wish for...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

SirMario66 wrote:
Staggy wrote:The Paterno family wants all the emails released and claimed the email shown on CNN was out of context in a purposeful smear campaign:
Be careful what you wish for...
Well said. I doubt anyone in the family knows exactly what happened and that JoePa is totally innocent here. It's blind faith (not exactly a bad thing to completely believe in your dad/uncle/spouse/etc).