Former pen signs familiar contract

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Former pens signs familiar contract

Post by MRandall25 »

Pitt87 wrote:
columbia wrote:I'd rather see a player leave for money, than saying he'd rather be elsewhere.
Or just come out and say he'd rather be somewhere he can be a #2 center. GMRS doesn't make an offer he knows will be rejected because a player wants to leave. Waste of time and a great way to piss off fans...
I don't get it. It's not like Staal waited until January to say "Oh, BTW, I'm not signing with you guys". Shero got the best deal for both parties.

What more do you want? Jesus.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Former pen signs familiar contract

Post by skullman80 »

Yeah ... some people in this fanbase take offense to anything. Staal could of strung this out all of next season acted like he wanted to stay and then left to Carolina for nothing.

He didn't do that. He made his feelings known. Shero made a hockey trade that worked for both teams, IMO.

Fans here have no reason to be pissed at Staal, other than petty personal vendettas.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

LOL at the Staal hate. What did you think was going to happen? Play for 20 bucks a game? Way to go Gronk!!!
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

skullman80 wrote:Yeah ... some people in this fanbase take offense to anything. Staal could of strung this out all of next season acted like he wanted to stay and then left to Carolina for nothing.

He didn't do that. He made his feelings known. Shero made a hockey trade that worked for both teams, IMO.

Fans here have no reason to be pissed at Staal, other than petty personal vendettas.
I agree. I wish Staal all the luck. Also Carolina is one of the few teams I have absolutely no hate for and wouldn't mind seeing them do well.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Malkamaniac wrote:Meh it was Staal's right to do what he did, not going to fault the guy for it.
I understand it was his right and I'm not mad he wanted to leave. What I have a bit of a problem with is how he went about it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

skullman80 wrote:Yeah ... some people in this fanbase take offense to anything. Staal could of strung this out all of next season acted like he wanted to stay and then left to Carolina for nothing.

But that's exactly what he did. Or, rather, was planning on doing. He wanted to keep us hanging the entire season, hoping he would sign with us, but it is apparent now that he wouldn't. All he told Shero was that he didn't want to sign anything "at this time". What the heck does that mean? He should have been upfront and said he wants a change, a bigger role, and a trade. It is only because we have a shrewd GM who can smell a rat that this ended up in an immediate trade.

He did not let his feelings known. That's how I see it.

I am not going to take the high road and wish him good luck just because he was a Penguin. He is now a Hurricane and I hope he sucks.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

Sarcastic wrote:

But that's exactly what he did. Or, rather, was planning on doing. He wanted to keep us hanging the entire season, hoping he would sign with us, but it is apparent now that he wouldn't. All he told Shero was that he didn't want to sign anything "at this time". What the heck does that mean? He should have been upfront and said he wants a change, a bigger role, and a trade. It is only because we have a shrewd GM who can smell a rat that this ended up in an immediate trade.

I am not going to take the high road and wish him good luck just because he was a Penguin. He is now a Hurricane and I hope he sucks.
Meh, I am not really trying to defend Staal, but in fairness you don't know what he told Shero, or what he told his agent to tell Shero. You think Shero just read in the paper about Staal wanting to play in Carolina and decided to trade him there? There had to have been more to it than what we found out.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

I don't care. He wanted a bigger role and to be with family, Shero got something back for him, great kid but I'm not sure he was worth THAT much money for his role anyway, so hooray for everyone.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

good for staal. great player, great individual. i wish him the best.

that being said, i cant wait for some of the yinzers to try to parlay this into some good ol' fashioned "dat stall hated picksburgh"
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I was *very* disappointed to see him leave, but I suppose that he did the Pens a favor. Maybe?
Whatever....it's going to sting to see him in a CAR jersey for the first time.
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 66 Fighters of Foo »

I'm hangin' with the "I've got no problem with this." crowd. How long did people think he'd be happy on the 3rd line? He's way too good to be wasting prime years of his career down there. Add in the fact that he gets to play with his brother(s)...I'm a bit surprised anybody's upset about this.

Best of luck, Jordan!
Last edited by 66 Fighters of Foo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by sil »

Dat Stall hated Picksburgh!
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

Dey took our jobs!
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

FallenHero96 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Meh, I am not really trying to defend Staal, but in fairness you don't know what he told Shero, or what he told his agent to tell Shero. You think Shero just read in the paper about Staal wanting to play in Carolina and decided to trade him there? There had to have been more to it than what we found out.
I am pretty sure too many folks believe whatever they read in the papers. There are so many arguments on here based on these things.

Teams and players use the media. Staal AND the Pens did the same. I highly DOUBT that Shero and Staal had only the exact knowledge conveyed in the papers. The Pens came out about the offer for the sole purpose of the fans not throwing a tantrum about trading Staal. They needed the fans to know Staal wanted to leave. I would be more inclined to believe that Staal told Shero his exact position on things more than I believe the limited knowledge of the issue conveyed in the newspapers.

And Staal's agent came out and said he is not inclined to sign an offer sheet at this time. What else is he supposed to say? "Hey fans, he doesnt want to sign here! I sure hope Shero can work out a trade because if not my client is going to get booooooooed all season long".

It was basic stuff, more than likely they communicated openly/honestly and he was traded based on him wanting a bigger role and not being stuck on the depth chart for an entire career. The newspaper junk was clearly fodder for the fans.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Former pens signs familiar contract

Post by Pitt87 »

MRandall25 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
columbia wrote:I'd rather see a player leave for money, than saying he'd rather be elsewhere.
Or just come out and say he'd rather be somewhere he can be a #2 center. GMRS doesn't make an offer he knows will be rejected because a player wants to leave. Waste of time and a great way to piss off fans...
I don't get it. It's not like Staal waited until January to say "Oh, BTW, I'm not signing with you guys". Shero got the best deal for both parties.

What more do you want? Jesus.
First... relax. 8-)

Second... My comment was not about the outcome, which turned out just fine. My comment was about fielding an offer from your current team, rejecting it, being traded to your Bro's team and accepting virtually the same offer there, which is what this thread is about... I doubt GMRS submits an offer if he knows he wants to be traded, unless there is some benefit to having the offer rejected.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think its clear that Staal wanted to see the offer before deciding what to do next. Can't blame him, but to an average fan its a great way to 'turn heel' so to speak.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

The average fan (not just in this town) is a moron to be honest if they don't understand what Staal did.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steelhammer »

I'm glad Staal is gone. We still got the much better end of that trade.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

sil wrote:Dat Stall hated Picksburgh!
:lol: thanks.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

steelhammer wrote:I'm glad Staal is gone. We still got the much better end of that trade.
we lost the best player in the deal, so i wouldnt go that far.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steelhammer »

canaan wrote:
steelhammer wrote:I'm glad Staal is gone. We still got the much better end of that trade.
Maybe for now, but Staal's ceiling isn't very high and I highly doubt his new contract will ever be looked at as a bargain. He'll probably never score 30 goals or see 70 points.

The sum of our return is much much greater. Despite the fact that I am still angry about drafting Pouliot where we did, he has the potential to be something very special in the future. We already have the two best players in the world at center. We dont need to spend extra millions of dollars on Staal to get maybe 10 points more than Sutter will get playing 3rd line center next season.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

steelhammer wrote:
canaan wrote:
Maybe for now, but Staal's ceiling isn't very high and I highly doubt his new contract will ever be looked at as a bargain. He'll probably never score 30 goals or see 70 points.

The sum of our return is much much greater. Despite the fact that I am still angry about drafting Pouliot where we did, he has the potential to be something very special in the future. We already have the two best players in the world at center. We dont need to spend extra millions of dollars on Staal to get maybe 10 points more than Sutter will get playing 3rd line center next season.
Wow, Staal's ceiling isn't very high? I think he's only scratching the surface offensively, especially as a finisher, although he's never going to win the Art Ross Trophy. Carolina still got the best player in this deal. Even if Staal didn't want to continue playing the role of a third-line-center in Pittsburgh, the Penguins made the best move possible.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Not upset, especially if Shero's plan follows through. In place of Staal, you'd have Sutter, Glass and (possibly -- fingers crossed) Zach Parise.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

staal didn't do anything wrong or offensive. you only get 1 shot at this time of your life. you don't want to spend that time with a constant, legitimate dissatisfaction.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Dat der Stall is a jagoff 'n at. Go Stillerz.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by She'sTheFastest »

shmenguin wrote:staal didn't do anything wrong or offensive. you only get 1 shot at this time of your life. you don't want to spend that time with a constant, legitimate dissatisfaction.
Agreed. Gotta go where you're happy. I'm sure GMRS is not giving it a second thought at this point.