Colby Armstrong bought out.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Colby Armstrong bought out.

Post by Pitt87 »

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:No squared.

BEPF
Cubed
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by She'sTheFastest »

Ah, the old Colby talk. It's not usually supposed to start until around the trade deadline.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

If he can't make the Leafs, what make you think he can play for the Pens?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Pitt87 wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:No squared.

BEPF
Cubed
no to the power of birdnose
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by DesertPenguin »

Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Asham - Vitale - Armstrong

Tangradi
Jeffrey

If you can fit him under your cap with a 1 year deal, Colby Armstrong can help this team in a limited role. Kill penalties, add some grit and have the ability to move up the lineup in case of an injury. Would you rather have to move up Adams, Asham or Armstrong if there is an injury in the top 9 to one of our wings? Armstrong any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Except Armstrong sucks. It's even worse because Jeffrey was a legit liner before he got hurt.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Samsdog »

Malkamaniac wrote:Except Armstrong sucks. It's even worse because Jeffrey was a legit liner before he got hurt.
Not to mention the fact, and this is getting passed over a lot, that Jeffrey's deal was a two-way last year but a one-way this year, so chances are unless he's moved he's going to get every chance to make the team out of camp. When they're stocking up on players I think that they're going to assume Jeffrey is in the NHL next year as a bottom-6'er or at least a depth healthy scratch.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by steelershark »

did Jeffrey have a setback on his knee? He played sparingly after he was considered "good to go."
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back. Another reliable right handed bottom line guy. Maybe pay the league minimum on top of his buyout money.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Hugo Stiglitz »

So basically anytime a former Penguin becomes a UFA they're automatically linked as coming back to the Pens?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:So basically anytime a former Penguin becomes a UFA they're automatically linked as coming back to the Pens?
Armstrong at least fits a grit need the Pens need. Just like Jagr fit the need for a winger last year. No more no less.

Only way I take Colby back is if he is willing to take a sub mil. for a year. A try-out if you will.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Hugo Stiglitz »

Rylan wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:So basically anytime a former Penguin becomes a UFA they're automatically linked as coming back to the Pens?
Armstrong at least fits a grit need the Pens need. Just like Jagr fit the need for a winger last year. No more no less.

Only way I take Colby back is if he is willing to take a sub mil. for a year. A try-out if you will.
There are 8,093,234 other options than Colby who are cheaper and have actually played a full season over the past three years.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I don't disagree. At sub-mil. though would be a bargain if Army plays as the Army of old. If he doesn't then you aren't losing much if anything at all.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

pens_CT wrote:
no name wrote:When a team buys you out its a tell tale sign your game is going south. When a team can't trade you for a 7th round pick it generally says... you suck.
In this case it tells you nobody wants to take on his salary, not for even a 7th round pick. Like some others have said, I would think about him for under a million on a one year deal for fourth line duty. I would look at others such as Daniel Winnik or David Moss first though.

Good point i will conceed to that, Colby was due 3 million not worth that. I guess on our squad a 800k hit wouldn't hurt.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Hugo Stiglitz »

Rylan wrote:I don't disagree. At sub-mil. though would be a bargain if Army plays as the Army of old. If he doesn't then you aren't losing much if anything at all.
I understand what you're saying, and it's one thing to take a gamble on a player when it comes to the top-six, i.e. Sullivan, Satan, etc...,but why do we need to take a risk for someone to play the fourth line when other options are available who already cost less than $1M and are healthy?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Because he is very versatile. Proven capable to be a highly respected pk man and also the ability to provide an even strength spark. Plus, he is getting bought out and will be making moola from the Buds. Why not Jay Mckee him and perhaps get him for league min?
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jogr4909 »

Colby only at rock bottom price.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Line 1: Hilbert - Crosby - Armstrong
Line 2: Surovy - Malone - Rita
Line 3: Koltsov - Talbot - Fata
Line 4: Roy - Pirjeta - VandenBussche
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I always though Surovy and Christenson were going to be world class snipers. Boy was I wrong.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Christensen is only good in a shootout with nobody else around him.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Hugo Stiglitz »

I just still don't get it. Who cares if he costs $500K? There are guys under $1M who have been healthy and do just as much as him. If you think signing him for under $1M that you're taking the chance of bringing back the one season he put up 20 goals, then you guys need out of la la land.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Hugo Stiglitz »

I'd rather re-sign Asham than Armstrong.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

MRandall25 wrote:
DelPen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Come on, why not? The guy is a good hockey player, it's not his fault Toronto was retarded. He's better than Kennedy in every aspect of the game.

Cooke-Sutter-Armstrong would be a great third line.
Surely you can't be serious.

But just in case:

Army had as many points in 10-11 as Kennedy had goals.
I am serious. Armstrong will kill penalties and is better on the powerplay. Their scoring output is about the same. In what way is Kennedy better than Armstrong?
Troll/10
DelPen's been on this board for more than 10 years I'd guess. He was one of the few people that posted regularly during the strike years and other gloomy times.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

It all makes sense. Crosby took 8.7m per year so we could go bring back the only teammate that ever made him happy.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

now's a good time to get into this...it's funny that people can't wait to get rid of kennedy. is he overpaid? maybe. but by what, a few hundred grand? oh lord, what an albatross. and he has all those years left on that contract!

but the funnier part is that somehow he's now perceived as an inadequate 3rd liner. he's the same guy he's always been. you know...the guy who was an asset in the 09 SCF and the guy who put up 3 and 3 in the philly series. at worst, he's a good 3rd liner (and at best, he's a good 3rd liner). he's a known commodity who gives you the same strong effort every game. if you think he's not fit for that spot, you have some weird ideas about what a 3rd liner is supposed to be. and by weird, i mean stupid.

and as it relates to armstrong, kennedy's about 12 times as fast and has a better career PPG - even with colby getting spoon fed 40 points in 47 games by sid in 06.