NHL Transactions and News - 2012 Offseason

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: NHL Transactions and News - 2012 Offseason

Post by lemieuxReturns »

mikey287 wrote:Today is QO deadline day, which I always look forward to personally...one mildly surprising one or two here: Benoit Pouliot (just acquired by Tampa) will not get one, but is expected to re-sign there anyway. Anton Stralman did not get one from New York. Blake Comeau ($2.5M) unsurprisingly did not get one from Calgary.

Correction: Stralman did get one.
Is Benoit Pouliot related to the Pouliot we just took at 8th?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

lemieuxReturns wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Today is QO deadline day, which I always look forward to personally...one mildly surprising one or two here: Benoit Pouliot (just acquired by Tampa) will not get one, but is expected to re-sign there anyway. Anton Stralman did not get one from New York. Blake Comeau ($2.5M) unsurprisingly did not get one from Calgary.

No, neither are either of them related to former Rimouski Oceanic star Marc-Antoine Pouliot. Pouliot a very popular name in Canada among Quebecois and non-Quebec francophones alike...Derrick has a little brother playing bantam hockey I believe though.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

mikey287 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

No, neither are either of them related to former Rimouski Oceanic star Marc-Antoine Pouliot. Pouliot a very popular name in Canada among Quebecois and non-Quebec francophones alike...Derrick has a little brother playing bantam hockey I believe though.
thanks.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Elliotte Friedman says: $70.2 million cap.

Calgary acquires the rights to Dennis Wideman, signs him...5 years, $26.25 million. Oh Calgary...oh Calgary...you are a terrible, terrible franchise...

EDIT: Jordan Henry and a 5th round pick 2013 for Wideman's rights. EDIT: Henry, not Hendry (even McKenzie got mixed up on the name too haha...I don't think either of us know who Henry is...so just assumed Hendry.)

After not qualifying Blake Comeau, they have re-signed him - unknown figures there as of yet.
Last edited by mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

mikey287 wrote:Elliotte Friedman says: $70.2 million cap.

Calgary acquires the rights to Dennis Wideman, signs him...5 years, $26.25 million. Oh Calgary...oh Calgary...you are a terrible, terrible franchise...

EDIT: Jordan Hendry and a 5th round pick 2013 for Wideman's rights. Hendry not a bad #7 d-man, maybe a 6 (editor's note)

After not qualifying Blake Comeau, they have re-signed him - unknown figures there as of yet.
Has this happened already? I've not heard a peep about it. That Wideman contract would be simply awful.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

brwi wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Elliotte Friedman says: $70.2 million cap.

EDIT: Jordan Hendry and a 5th round pick 2013 for Wideman's rights. Hendry not a bad #7 d-man, maybe a 6 (editor's note)

Has this happened already? I've not heard a peep about it. That Wideman contract would be simply awful.
Yes, it's done - re: the Calgary part. I can't confirm or deny the salary cap thing, that's all Friedman.

Comeau's deal is one year, either for one and a quarter or one a half...
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Wow that is a big contract for Wideman, yowza.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Jay Feaster put on his Santa suit a little early this year.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

The Twitter feeds are all abuzz, confirming the Wideman trade.

And also talking about how ridiculous the contract is. Holy crap. How is Wideman worth 5.25 a year?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Avyran wrote:The Twitter feeds are all abuzz, confirming the Wideman trade.

And also talking about how ridiculous the contract is. Holy crap. How is Wideman worth 5.25 a year?
When you fail to admit defeat in the face of sure failure, your initial reaction is desperation.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Thats the only way anyone will go play in CGY, throw that money at them
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

That overpay by Calgary is even slightly above the standard get-the-guy-to-come-to-Calgary overpay that is required of that team. And when they keep setting the bar higher each year for draft/development failure, it's not good that they have to rely on free agency so much.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Overpay in Calgary coupled with the fact that these guys need convinced to sign before July 1st. This is how the great overpay happens.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

ok, is his name pronounced wide-man, or weeda-man, because i heard both today
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Froggy wrote:ok, is his name pronounced wide-man, or weeda-man, because i heard both today
The Official NHL pronounication guide that I have says: WIGHD-muhn
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

So does this drive up the price of Suter?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

SolidSnake wrote:So does this drive up the price of Suter?
I don't think so, the guy was/is gonna get paid. He's the only premier D-man in this FA class.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I'll play the devils advocate and say "not as much as most think". Wideman made $4.5 this past season. UFA was going to get him an increase based on stats and the market. I think CGY overpaid and they know that, but that's the price of a couple things (mostly): convincing UFA to play in Calgary and not testing the market
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

SolidSnake wrote:So does this drive up the price of Suter?
Nah, this doesn't do much to Suter. He's not a similar player to Wideman at all. That said there's nothing really that's gonna drive down Suter's price either (unless the GMs get knowledge that the HRR percentage that the players will receive is going down and thus dragging down the Upper Limit, but that information will not come close to coming out in time)...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

canaan wrote:I'll play the devils advocate and say "not as much as most think". Wideman made $4.5 this past season. UFA was going to get him an increase based on stats and the market. I think CGY overpaid and they know that, but that's the price of a couple things (mostly): convincing UFA to play in Calgary and not testing the market
This is a good point here. Though, I think the "overpayment to come to Calgary" thing is a touch overstated by all...that's neither here nor there. Also, in a round-a-bout way this actually could be a cost cutter for Calgary...they have a lot of money in their defense right now and the loser of Suter that really wants a Suter-type d-man and not a Carle or Corvo type will probably want to inquire about Calgary's Jay Bouwmeester who makes north of $6.6 million. Quality player, but a healthy price tag, however he instantly becomes a top-pairing d-man on almost every team in the league...pulling the trigger on a deal for Wideman tells me that Feaster has gotten at least a few calls regarding J-Bo...
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Kinda sucks because if the Pens can't get Suter, I was hopeing for Wideman but it in a way I'm glad they didn't pay that much for Wideman
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

SolidSnake wrote:Kinda sucks because if the Pens can't get Suter, I was hopeing for Wideman but it in a way I'm glad they didn't pay that much for Wideman
Never was a big fan of his...very very poor defensively. When the chips were down, he was knocked down in the playoffs to the lower or even lowest pairing...I'm not sure what's higher: ES goals against Wideman was on the ice for or ES goals against Wideman was not on the ice for in the 2012 playoffs. I bet you it's closer than typical internet hyperbole would indicate...he really is horrendous in his own zone.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how bad of a contract this really is...I'm almost numb to it now...Wideman is terrible and he makes more than $5 million per season...hmph...well, I'll be...

Calgary took one very significant step forward toward being the worst run franchise in hockey and they are mere inches from Columbus. If the Blue Jackets get an acceptable package for Nash, I think they might just leapfrog'em...
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I thought he had a good season for Washington, and his last season in Boston. Again at that price I'm glad the Pens weren't paying him that much.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

wasn't he just about glued to the bench in the playoffs?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Froggy wrote:wasn't he just about glued to the bench in the playoffs?
Yeah, his ice time was reduced in the playoffs pretty significantly, just to stop the bleeding. He was stuck on a horrible third pairing with Jeff Schultz towards the end. Normally, you'd think a $5 million d-man would have his minutes go up when the team needed its stars the most but Wideman was marginalized. Wideman was E or worse in every Caps game this playoffs. The Capitals scored 21 5v5 goals and allowed 21 5v5 goals...Wideman was a team-worst minus-7 in the playoffs. Dale Hunter cites family reasons for returning to London, I cite Dennis Wideman.