Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by MWB »

Three of the counts dropped:
Judge John Cleland told jurors that all three counts pertain to "alleged victim 4," while the defense further petitioned to have all counts related to "alleged victim 8" dismissed as well.
Cleland said one count of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse duplicated another charge. Two other counts -- one of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and another of aggravated indecent assault -- were not supported by testimony and the evidence presented, he said.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

With that many charges, the prosecution doesnt have the want nor worry to try to establish a strong case for all of them. the jury knowing that there are that many charges is the biggest thing, in my opinion. the dude is going away for the rest of his life. i have no doubts in that.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I always wonder if that ends up looking worse for the defense. Obviously there has to be an undeniable lack of evidence for the judge to dismiss charges without allowing the charges to go to the jury, but you wonder if in the jurors minds the judge is almost saying, "I think there is evidence supporting all of these other charges," even though his denial on the others does not mean that.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Malkamaniac wrote:Real honest question. Are there people here wanting to see Sandusky go free because it releases Penn State from the grips of bad news? If Sandusky is found guilty, it's a whole heap of nothing good for the school, and reading through this I get the feeling that a few PSU alums/fans want Sandusky to go free so it doesn't damage Penn State in a detrimental way.
I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING. After reading some of the posts about how 'devastating' it has been, I am starting to think about who Penn Staters believe been devastated.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i think there have been some gross misinterpretations of peoples posts in this thread and viewing it as some ardent psu stepfording and i dont believe that to be the case.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Pitt87 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Real honest question. Are there people here wanting to see Sandusky go free because it releases Penn State from the grips of bad news? If Sandusky is found guilty, it's a whole heap of nothing good for the school, and reading through this I get the feeling that a few PSU alums/fans want Sandusky to go free so it doesn't damage Penn State in a detrimental way.
I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING. After reading some of the posts about how 'devastating' it has been, I am starting to think about who Penn Staters believe been devastated.
sigh....who in this thread has honestly made you wonder that? Everything I've read in here indicates that just about every "Penn Stater" in this thread hopes that Sandusky rots in prison for the rest of his life for what he did to the children. I have just pointed out the fact that a "not guilty" verdict would damage the university's and community's reputation beyond repair.

And I'm a little sick and tired of being reminded of who was hurt in this situation. Thanks, I am fully capable of talking about how different outcomes will affect the university and being aware that kids were "devastated" in this situation at the same time. They aren't mutually exclusive.

The mentality seems to be: 100% OF THE TALK NEEDS TO BE ABOUT THE VICTIMS OR YOU CLEARLY CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR PRECIOUS UNIVERSITY THAN THE KIDS! PLEASE THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

canaan wrote:i think there have been some gross misinterpretations of peoples posts in this thread and viewing it as some ardent psu stepfording and i dont believe that to be the case.
Tend to agree.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

If he is convicted, I hope they hold him in custody until sentencing and he never sees the light of day again.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:If he is convicted, I hope they hold him in custody until sentencing and he never sees the light of day again.
Agree, and suspect that will be the case.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

columbia wrote:If he is convicted, I hope they hold him in custody until sentencing and he never sees the light of day again.
thats what i heard would be the case if/when he is found guilty.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yeah he would be a pretty obvious suicide risk if he were to be released until his sentence started.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

when are we supposed to hear the ruling?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

eddysnake wrote:when are we supposed to hear the ruling?
The jury just got their instructions a few hours ago. They have to decide on all remaining counts (47 or 48. I know 1 count was dismissed early and then 3 today). It could take some time.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Kraftster wrote:I always wonder if that ends up looking worse for the defense. Obviously there has to be an undeniable lack of evidence for the judge to dismiss charges without allowing the charges to go to the jury, but you wonder if in the jurors minds the judge is almost saying, "I think there is evidence supporting all of these other charges," even though his denial on the others does not mean that.
You give jurors way too much credit. And you're supposed to be the elitist.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by 60sixx »

I have a bad, bad feeling about this. Like Casey Anthony all over again. I hope to God I'm wrong.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Mother of God. Seriously? Sometimes the anti-PSU sentiment on this board is mind-boggling.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

I got no shortage of Penn State hate, but I think most PSU people want to see justice done.
My prediction is he gets convicted on many of the counts and it's a short deliberation 2 days tops.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

steve784 wrote:
Mother of God. Seriously? Sometimes the anti-PSU sentiment on this board is mind-boggling.
Wha, I'm not anti PSU at all in this case.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

If he gets convicted of just one count, he's looking at an extended jail sentence, and it is highly unlikely he survives a long time due to his age.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Ohhhhhh my:

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2012 ... on_ma.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Wow, I don't get the timing on that one.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

MWB wrote:Wow, I don't get the timing on that one.
its like its straight out of the wwe
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Dottie's complicity in this whole debacle is wretched
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

canaan wrote:Dottie's complicity in this whole debacle is wretched
It would seem. I wonder if she'll ever face any charges. I guess the adopted son's story will have something to do with that.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Shocking, but not that surprising.
He's a monster.