LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by Gaucho »

joopen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
columbia wrote:Does this mean I can start smoking again and it wont matter?
I'd like that.
Spoiler:
It's been 358 days.
Spoiler:
10,000 (I'm 27)
That's cheating. :slug:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

So cool...

[youtube][/youtube]
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

That video title is very misleading. I am disappoint.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

how is that disappointing? you can see around corners with a laser. that's neat stuff.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ossa »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... sions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I feel vindicated by this
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Global warming does occur however the people saying that humans are causing is have a very small sample size in relative terms to judge that on. The Earth has been around for billions of years and they are using a ~200 year sample to say that global warming beyond any doubt is occurring because of humans. The Earth has been proven to warm and cool since before the CO2 admissions and quite frankly until there is a larger sample size I'm not self centered enough to believe that I or any human made device is causing it.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Pavel Bure wrote:Global warming does occur however the people saying that humans are causing is have a very small sample size in relative terms to judge that on. The Earth has been around for billions of years and they are using a ~200 year sample to say that global warming beyond any doubt is occurring because of humans. The Earth has been proven to warm and cool since before the CO2 admissions and quite frankly until there is a larger sample size I'm not self centered enough to believe that I or any human made device is causing it.
:thumb:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

hard to take this seriously with all the gossip adds surrounding the article. :lol:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Pavel Bure wrote:Global warming does occur however the people saying that humans are causing is have a very small sample size in relative terms to judge that on. The Earth has been around for billions of years and they are using a ~200 year sample to say that global warming beyond any doubt is occurring because of humans. The Earth has been proven to warm and cool since before the CO2 admissions and quite frankly until there is a larger sample size I'm not self centered enough to believe that I or any human made device is causing it.
This is my argument to every single person that has ever told me about Human caused Global Warming. Almost word for word. I just get told that I am a degenerate that wants to world to die. Can't work with those people lol
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

So here's the thing... if we find out that man doesn't contribute at all to global warming. Not one bit. But from the scare of global warming science has developed all sorts of new technologies that run off of things that aren't carbon based, and develop them to the point where they are comparable to carbon based fuels, would it really be so bad? So what if it's real or not. There's a lot of really cool science going on just on the premise of it being real. It's almost like the video I posted on the previous page. During the space race moon days we developed a lot of really cool technology that couldn't be done anywhere else in the world and now we have a lot of products in our everyday lives as a direct result from those days. Now the space race is pretty much at a timeout as we don't have the money to fund it, but hopefully in the near future we can start it back up again and begin to develop these new ideas and new ways of thinking.

tl;dnr: Who cares if global warming is a myth, there's some cool science going on.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

count2infinity wrote:So here's the thing... if we find out that man doesn't contribute at all to global warming. Not one bit. But from the scare of global warming science has developed all sorts of new technologies that run off of things that aren't carbon based, and develop them to the point where they are comparable to carbon based fuels, would it really be so bad? So what if it's real or not. There's a lot of really cool science going on just on the premise of it being real. It's almost like the video I posted on the previous page. During the space race moon days we developed a lot of really cool technology that couldn't be done anywhere else in the world and now we have a lot of products in our everyday lives as a direct result from those days. Now the space race is pretty much at a timeout as we don't have the money to fund it, but hopefully in the near future we can start it back up again and begin to develop these new ideas and new ways of thinking.

tl;dnr: Who cares if global warming is a myth, there's some cool science going on.
Thank you for the tl;dnr. :lol: But yea, I agree that the myth has helped create awesome advances. No arguments here. Its the forcing of a belief into a hysteria that needs quelled. But that is politics not science.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

It reminds me about the famous stance on religion. Sure I believe in God, because there's either two outcomes, He exists or He doesn't. If I believe and He doesn't exist, I only looked kind of foolish every Sunday morning. If I don't believe and He does exist, eternal damnation. It's all about what you risk in the end.
So while I agree that the position that humans are the primary cause for Glabal Warming is tenuous at best, I don't see the harm in trying to reduce CO2 emissions by reasonable efforts. Blowing it up to mass hysteria is not what I'd call reasonable.
Last edited by CBear3 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

CO2 isn't even the number 1 greenhouse gas :scared:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

CBear3 wrote:It reminds me about the famous stance on religion. Sure I believe in God, because there's either two outcomes, He exists or He doesn't. If I believe and He doesn't exist, I only looked kind of foolish every Sunday morning. If I don't believe and He does exist, eternal damnation. It's all about what you risk in the end.
So while I agree that the position that humans are the primary cause for Glabal Warming is tenuous at best, I don't see the harm in trying to reduce CO2 emissions by reasonable efforts. Blowing it up to mass hysteria is not what I'd call reasonable.
But what if you chose the wrong Religion? Every week you're just making God madder and madder. :scared:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
CBear3 wrote:It reminds me about the famous stance on religion. Sure I believe in God, because there's either two outcomes, He exists or He doesn't. If I believe and He doesn't exist, I only looked kind of foolish every Sunday morning. If I don't believe and He does exist, eternal damnation. It's all about what you risk in the end.
But what if you chose the wrong Religion? Every week you're just making God madder and madder. :scared:
:lol:
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Rylan wrote:CO2 isn't even the number 1 greenhouse gas :scared:
It is true that CO2 is not a terrible greenhouse gas. What I mean is that the molecule's structure itself is no where near as bad as say, methane or CFCs. But structure is not the only thing that plays into how a greenhouse gas effects the atmosphere. Due to its sheer abundance in the atmosphere, CO2 makes up for its lack of a "good" greenhouse gas structure.

Even if you don't agree with global warming/climate change, you still need to understand the importance of reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. The increased CO2 in the atmosphere ends up being dissolved into our oceans, which due to some chemical reactions ends up acidifying the ocean. As the ocean acidifies, it will cause many issues for marine life.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

obhave wrote:
Rylan wrote:CO2 isn't even the number 1 greenhouse gas :scared:
It is true that CO2 is not a terrible greenhouse gas. What I mean is that the molecule's structure itself is no where near as bad as say, methane or CFCs. But structure is not the only thing that plays into how a greenhouse gas effects the atmosphere. Due to its sheer abundance in the atmosphere, CO2 makes up for its lack of a "good" greenhouse gas structure.

Even if you don't agree with global warming/climate change, you still need to understand the importance of reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. The increased CO2 in the atmosphere ends up being dissolved into our oceans, which due to some chemical reactions ends up acidifying the ocean. As the ocean acidifies, it will cause many issues for marine life.
I will be dead in 20 years without an heirs. No worries about my children :lol:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Pascal's Wager. Those smarmy French philosophers...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Pascal's Wager. Those smarmy French philosophers...
Kraftster wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Pascal's wager:

1. "God is, or He is not"
2.A Game is being played... where heads or tails will turn up.
3. According to reason, you can defend neither of the propositions.
4. You must wager. It is not optional.
5. Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing.
6. Wager, then, without hesitation that He is. (...) There is here an infinity of an infinitely happy life to gain, a chance of gain against a finite number of chances of loss, and what you stake is finite. And so our proposition is of infinite force, when there is the finite to stake in a game where there are equal risks of gain and of loss, and the infinite to gain.
WOW - That is awesome. That's exactly the position of those on the fence.
And this sensational response by Robert C.W. Ettinger, the father of Cryonics.
Pascal's Wacky Wager: As noted, logic has almost nothing to do with religion,a nd those who try to drag it in are just spinning their wheels, for the most part. Even so, to help a few sophomores liven up their evenings a bit, let's look at Pascal's famous wager (which was anticipated by others centuries earlier). The eminent mathematician averred that it makes sense to believe, reasoning somewhat as follows:
If there is no God and you believe, you have lost nothing and gained hope. If there is a God and you disbelieve, you have lost hope and earned Hell. Therefore you have nothing to lose and much to gain by belief.
Of course, our friend Blaise overlooked a few little details -- such as, for openers, how one can obtain genuine faith merely by an act of will based on calculated self interest. Beyond that, there are inconvenient questions such as what happens if you choose to believe in the wrong God (God of another religion), and the true Gold holds this against you.
And then, of course, one may use a format similar to Pascal's to opposite effect as follows:
IF there is no God and you believe, you have debased your integrity and gained nothing. If there is a God, and he is unjust or maleficent, then he may condemn you despite your faith. If there is a God and he is beneficent, then he will understand and forgive your skepticism. Hence by disbelief you have nothing to lose and integrity to gain.
fantastic
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

a pendulum's periodic swing doesn't depend on the mass of the substance attached to it, but rather by the length of the string (9th grade science experiment, i know...) It's awesome watching these pendulums move together.

[youtube][/youtube]
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

http://www.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/glar ... -0426.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pretty cool stuff.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

These new data are the latest to strongly support of a controversial hypothesis proposing that a major cosmic impact with Earth occurred 12,900 years ago at the onset of an unusual cold climatic period called the Younger Dryas.
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Study ... t_999.html
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter spacecraft has found that the Shackleton crater at the moon's frigid south pole contains about 22% ice on its surface, astronomers reported Thursday in the journal Nature. To their surprise, the team apparently saw more ice on the walls of the crater than on its floor. Such ice could prove very valuable for any extended moon mission, providing water and a potential fuel source to astronauts.
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sci ... 5750.story
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

cool stuff:

http://www.space.com/17217-big-bang-pha ... heory.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;