GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by columbia »

largegarlic wrote: Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen--I saw on Beer Advocate that this was the highest rated hefeweizen. I didn't remember it being that good, but it had been years since I've had it. Anyhow, this time it was really good (I think I may have been confusing it with Koenig Ludwig hefeweizen before). I can see why it holds the number 1 ranking.
It's good stuff; definitely try out the Dunkel version too.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Weihenstephaner... So good... The first sip I ever had of it was one of those "everything is right in the universe" kind of moments.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

What is the best beer to pair with Guinness for good black and tans?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

largegarlic wrote:Here's some interesting things I had over the past couple weeks...

Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen--I saw on Beer Advocate that this was the highest rated hefeweizen. I didn't remember it being that good, but it had been years since I've had it. Anyhow, this time it was really good (I think I may have been confusing it with Koenig Ludwig hefeweizen before). I can see why it holds the number 1 ranking.

Dupont's Saison--I'm just starting to get into saisons (inspired by Kraftster), and this is only the second I've had (the other being the Ommegang Hennepin). I wasn't that impressed. The Dupont really seemed to lack the complexity of the Hennepin.

The Bruery's Mischief--I just picked this up yesterday and haven't had it yet (or anything else from The Bruery). It's supposed to be a Belgian-style pale ale. Anyone had this?
Gah, the Bruery?? You're in Florida now, huh? I'd love to find some of that stuff up here.

The owner of House of 1000 Beers gave my wife a free Ayinger glass that they used for their sour tasting a couple months ago because of all the sours she bought me for father's day. I've got to make a trip back in there because she said he was really excited to discuss some of the stuff they're trying to get in this summer but she had no idea what he was talking about. Maybe I can try to talk them into getting some Bruery stuff.

Glad to hear you're checking out saisons. I've not had the Dupont. Selection still seems to be pretty sparse around here. At least Hennepin is so quality and its readily available.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

columbia wrote:
largegarlic wrote: Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen--I saw on Beer Advocate that this was the highest rated hefeweizen. I didn't remember it being that good, but it had been years since I've had it. Anyhow, this time it was really good (I think I may have been confusing it with Koenig Ludwig hefeweizen before). I can see why it holds the number 1 ranking.
It's good stuff; definitely try out the Dunkel version too.
I haven't seen the Weihenstephaner Dunkel around, but I will certainly pick some up when I do. I really like the Dunkel wheat beers. I will always get the Ayinger Ur-Weiss or Brau-Weiss when I can find them.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

If you can find the Flying Dog hefe in your neck of the woods, it is also worth trying.

As far as other hefes...

Schneider Weiss is pretty good, but Weihenstephaner is better, and like a buck cheaper per pint where I'm at.

I didn't care much for paulaner, but it is probably because of the tacky packaging.

Ayinger and Erdinger, were both ok, but neither was good enough to stand out to me.

The Weihenstephaner dunkel is great if you want a more "beer-ey" beer.

Schneider Aventinus is really good if you want something to knock you on your butt.

But yeah... Weihenstephaner is my favorite.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I second the thumbs up on Aventinus...Love it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I like weizenbocks (Schneider Weiss Aventinus) more than just straight hefes. The Victory Moonglow is a solid weizenbock and the Ayinger wbock is good too.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Kraftster wrote:
largegarlic wrote:Here's some interesting things I had over the past couple weeks...

Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen--I saw on Beer Advocate that this was the highest rated hefeweizen. I didn't remember it being that good, but it had been years since I've had it. Anyhow, this time it was really good (I think I may have been confusing it with Koenig Ludwig hefeweizen before). I can see why it holds the number 1 ranking.

Dupont's Saison--I'm just starting to get into saisons (inspired by Kraftster), and this is only the second I've had (the other being the Ommegang Hennepin). I wasn't that impressed. The Dupont really seemed to lack the complexity of the Hennepin.

The Bruery's Mischief--I just picked this up yesterday and haven't had it yet (or anything else from The Bruery). It's supposed to be a Belgian-style pale ale. Anyone had this?
Gah, the Bruery?? You're in Florida now, huh? I'd love to find some of that stuff up here.

The owner of House of 1000 Beers gave my wife a free Ayinger glass that they used for their sour tasting a couple months ago because of all the sours she bought me for father's day. I've got to make a trip back in there because she said he was really excited to discuss some of the stuff they're trying to get in this summer but she had no idea what he was talking about. Maybe I can try to talk them into getting some Bruery stuff.

Glad to hear you're checking out saisons. I've not had the Dupont. Selection still seems to be pretty sparse around here. At least Hennepin is so quality and its readily available.
He does get Bruery stuff. However the provisions series from them is mainly the sours and that's only released at the brewery itself in CA.

Right now he has all three bottles of the cigar city/Bruery collaboration - each is a different Witbier aged on fruit - lemon, grapefruit, and orange. Pricey...

There is also some Cisco sours there, and he occasionally has Cantillon and drie fontenein.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Angry Orchard OM NOM NOM
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

mac5155 wrote:Angry Orchard OM NOM NOM
I just saw some sixers of this over the weekend, don't ever remember seeing it before, what's good?
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Kraftster wrote:

The owner/managers at House of 1000 Beers seem pretty cool once they realize you have a sense of what good beer is and aren't just a yinzer picking up a case of Coors Light for the weekend.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

eddysnake wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Angry Orchard OM NOM NOM
I just saw some sixers of this over the weekend, don't ever remember seeing it before, what's good?
It's a hard cider. Tastes amazing. I'm not sure if its new or not but I just heard of it the other night for the first time, too.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Froggy wrote:Weihenstephaner... So good... The first sip I ever had of it was one of those "everything is right in the universe" kind of moments.
Yeah, I was in a big hefeweizen stage for a while (basically the 7-8 years I lived in Florida full-time, since there's no better beer for warm weather). I'm pretty sure that if there is a heaven, it involves sitting at a patio in the late afternoon/evening of a warm summer day drinking a great hefeweizen.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

UVM2003 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

He does get Bruery stuff. However the provisions series from them is mainly the sours and that's only released at the brewery itself in CA.

Right now he has all three bottles of the cigar city/Bruery collaboration - each is a different Witbier aged on fruit - lemon, grapefruit, and orange. Pricey...

There is also some Cisco sours there, and he occasionally has Cantillon and drie fontenein.
Interesting. My wife got me one of the Ciscos actually. Lady of the Woods. I'm very anxious to try it. Wish they had had the kreik too.

I just read something that said that one of the east coast states that Cascade distributes to is PA. Have you seen any Cascade stuff on this side of the state? (I assume it would be at H1kB if anywhere).
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Loaf31 wrote:What is the best beer to pair with Guinness for good black and tans?
I think I'd go with something traditionally British, like Bass or Newcastle. Or mayble Smithwick's for an Irish ale.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Kraftster wrote:
Interesting. My wife got me one of the Ciscos actually. Lady of the Woods. I'm very anxious to try it. Wish they had had the kreik too.

I just read something that said that one of the east coast states that Cascade distributes to is PA. Have you seen any Cascade stuff on this side of the state? (I assume it would be at H1kB if anywhere).
It looks like Cascade does distribute to PA - but obviously that's to Philly. I've never seen Ho1KB pull it in...but I can plant the seed with him as they get a lot of the stuff available across the state (supplication, consecration etc). I traded for both Cascade Blueberry and Kriek in April and they're great. I know you've had both Supplication and Consecration - it doesn't get much better for American sours.

A good website on availability:

http://www.seekabrew.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Yeah, I think Supplication is my favorite American sour. I swear the last time I was out at Ho1kB both of those RR selections were like $16. My wife paid $20 for both this past week.
The Cisco she got was $22, which I was shocked that it was that cheap.

I have one 2009 Cascade Kreik in my basement and had one about a month ago. It was definitely awesome.

I'd like to try to find some other Lost Abbey stuff. I didn't love the Red Poppy Ale, but it was done well enough that I figure they have some pretty cool stuff. I think the Red Poppy is like $30 at Ho1kB, though, which is just too rich for me. I am dying to get out to visit my friend in Portland. The beer prices out there seem crazy cheap. I'll probably saddle up to the bar at Cascade and not leave for a full day. He's bringing some hard to get stuff when he comes into town this September including Anchorage Love Buzz, some Cascade stuff and some Upright stuff.

Have you had the Allagash american wild ale at all? I think its Interlude or Odyssey. Hoping to get my hands on that this summer when I run out east to grab the Weyerbacher sour that is being released at the brewery.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

How do the non-Belgian lambics compare?
The originals are reliant on very old and place-specific yeasts.

Not unlike breads and cheeses (specific molds) around the world. Even NYC pizza has a particular character than can be traced to the water used to make crust.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Kraftster wrote:Yeah, I think Supplication is my favorite American sour. I swear the last time I was out at Ho1kB both of those RR selections were like $16. My wife paid $20 for both this past week.
The Cisco she got was $22, which I was shocked that it was that cheap.

I have one 2009 Cascade Kreik in my basement and had one about a month ago. It was definitely awesome.

I'd like to try to find some other Lost Abbey stuff. I didn't love the Red Poppy Ale, but it was done well enough that I figure they have some pretty cool stuff. I think the Red Poppy is like $30 at Ho1kB, though, which is just too rich for me. I am dying to get out to visit my friend in Portland. The beer prices out there seem crazy cheap. I'll probably saddle up to the bar at Cascade and not leave for a full day. He's bringing some hard to get stuff when he comes into town this September including Anchorage Love Buzz, some Cascade stuff and some Upright stuff.

Have you had the Allagash american wild ale at all? I think its Interlude or Odyssey. Hoping to get my hands on that this summer when I run out east to grab the Weyerbacher sour that is being released at the brewery.
The Allagash wilds are amazing - I think you're speaking of Interlude and Confluence. Both are Belgian pales pitched with belgian yeast and then tossed in wine barrels where the Bretts are added. Very well done stuff - but check out their website. They're well known for running a coolship - cooling the wort in a large, thin steel vessel and letting the open air yeasts inoculate. Unfortunately the coolship beers are mainly brewery only which makes them difficult to get.

The upright stuff is supposed to be amazing, if you grab some let me know what you think. It's hard to get.

I hear ya on Red Poppy. I personally love it and traded awhile back for a few bottles - before they arrived at Ho1KB. 30 is steep - I think it runs about 22 in Philly. I believe I had that Cisco, for some reason I'm thinking its a Gueze but I could be wrong. They had a sour tasting at Ho1KB back in April which was epic.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

columbia wrote:How do the non-Belgian lambics compare?
The originals are reliant on very old and place-specific yeasts.

Not unlike breads and cheeses (specific molds) around the world. Even NYC pizza has a particular character than can be traced to the water used to make crust.
Cantillon and Drie Fontenein are still the premiere Lambic and Gueuze producers and their products still define the styles. The American Wilds are good, but relatively diffferent than the Belgian counterparts and few brewers have mastered the process due to the variation. Blends of young/old Lambic is still mastered by Cantillon/Drie but some American Brewers like Russian River (in Beatification) and Lost Abbey (Duck Duck Gooze) have made really nice blends.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I'm officially intrigued by these sours, i've never heard of this before yinz started talking about. Where is a novice going to get a sample of these things?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm not a huge fan of sours, but then again, I've only ever tried one. Maybe it's time to give them another go.

Any barley wine fans in here? 21st Amendment's Lower Da Boom is amazing.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Its pretty tough to find the american sours. I don't really expect that you'd be able to find them anywhere around here other than House of 1000 Beers in New Ken.

At your best South Hills bottle shop, you might look for Duchesse De Bourgogne. That's probably your best bet of what to look for, seems to be the most common Belgian Flanders Red that you can find. I know One For The Road in Wexford carries it, but its ridiculously overpriced out there. Like $14 for an 11 oz or something. You should be able to find it cheaper than that. Brouwerij Verhaeghe (who does Duchesse) also has Echte Kriekenbier, which is pretty tasty. Its probably the most mild Flanders that I can think of that I've had.

Cuvee des Jacobins is my favorite Belgian Flanders Red that I've had.
Last edited by Kraftster on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I don't really like barleywine. I've tried a couple that are okay. I thought Stone's was brutally cloying.