Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Mr. Colby »

Troy Loney wrote:
Rylan wrote:...a clash of ideologies begins the utter destruction of the fabric of a thread brought about through a foe that everyone despises. Said foe has a shadow that some have projected over everyone that is a Penn St. alum or current student. That makes no sense.
It's not about the pedophile, it's about the culture of football at State College and amongst the Alumni that led to the cover up. This wouldn't have been covered up if so many people weren't making so much money and gaining prestige through the University and it's football program.
What?

It's about the pedophile.

What is the title of this thread?

The cover-up has been addressed - all those involved have been dismissed.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

It's amazing I wasn't fired the second this all broke.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

All the money PSU alums pump into the university and the state college economy is the reason that this was covered up. If you people didn't go up in droves every home game in the fall and pump millions to the university and the community this doesn't happen. This can probably be said about other major college programs, but hopefully we wont have to know.

I'm not sure what's hard to understand about this.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Troy Loney wrote:All the money PSU alums pump into the university and the state college economy is the reason that this was covered up. If you people didn't go up in droves every home game in the fall and pump millions to the university and the community this doesn't happen. This can probably be said about other major college programs, but hopefully we wont have to know.

I'm having trouble understanding the relevance of this at the current point in time?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

If the President of the United States is involved in a cover up is every American citizen accountable? Are those that contributed money to the President's election campaign accountable?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Troy Loney wrote:All the money PSU alums pump into the university and the state college economy is the reason that this was covered up. If you people didn't go up in droves every home game in the fall and pump millions to the university and the community this doesn't happen. This can probably be said about other major college programs, but hopefully we wont have to know.

Wow. Just wow.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

I don't think this should have an impact on a PSU diploma, but I think it will. I've read polls that said some employers won't hire a PSU grad. Sure, they're idiots for thinking that way, but still, they're the ones hiring/not hiring.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Kraftster wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Given that one of Sandusky's attorneys had sex with his 17 old year client, it doesn't surprise me the defense consists of "This isn't abnormal behavior, just having fun and it was misunderstood."
Eh, I think its unfair to compare the two. Sure its skeevy to sleep with a 17 year old, but in alot of states that isnt even illegal. This guy raped pre teen boys.
She's still a minor at 17. He was in his 40s. It's statutory rape. It's illegal in PA.
Didn't he marry her?
Yes, and they separated. Don't know if they are divorced.

This all came out when the Sandusky story initially broke.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

ulf wrote:I don't think this should have an impact on a PSU diploma, but I think it will. I've read polls that said some employers won't hire a PSU grad. Sure, they're idiots for thinking that way, but still, they're the ones hiring/not hiring.
There's no way that's actually true in more than a few extreme cases. I mean, how many PSU alumni are there currently at working age. That just can't be true.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Mr. Colby wrote:
ulf wrote:I don't think this should have an impact on a PSU diploma, but I think it will. I've read polls that said some employers won't hire a PSU grad. Sure, they're idiots for thinking that way, but still, they're the ones hiring/not hiring.
There's no way that's actually true in more than a few extreme cases. I mean, how many PSU alumni are there currently at working age. That just can't be true.
Even if it's just a few idiots, it's a few more than before. But there's probably more than a few.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i don't have a dog in this fight, but if i was hiring someone, this scandal wouldn't even cross my mind if i saw PSU on their resume.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

I don't even know how to respond to that.

HOW DARE YOU PEOPLE SUPPORT YOUR UNIVERSITY AND GO TO FOOTBALL GAMES?! SAVAGES!
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I don't necessarily disagree, but I really don't understand how that makes the alums somehow accountable?

That would be like blaming Penguins fans if Mario did some misdeed and it was covered up because of the PR damage it would have caused.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

steve784 wrote:

If that's how you choose to represent this, that's fine. Obviously not what i'm saying.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Penn State has world class scientists that produce scientific discoveries on a regular basis. I highly doubt anyone is going to think less of the discoveries made here because of Sandusky. He will not sully my future diploma in any way, shape, or form. PSU has the biggest (not one of, it's the biggest) alumni associations in the world. I think it's fair to say that people in power to hire others know darn well that students that are graduating from PSU had nothing to do with that scandal and got here well after anything occurred. To think that a diploma from here is now worth less is absurd.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Troy Loney wrote:
steve784 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote: If you people didn't go up in droves every home game in the fall and pump millions to the university and the community this doesn't happen.

If that's how you choose to represent this, that's fine. Obviously not what i'm saying.
What were you saying? I'm pretty sure that's a direct quote.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Yeah it's too bad we are loyal to our school. If only no one went to the football games and no one cared aabout the future students we all could have stopped this demon. Matter of fact I should go wash the blood off my hands now, be right back
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

steve784 wrote:

It's like saying that someone that is robbed is responsible for the thief's actions. if they lived in a cave and did not have any possessions to steal then they wouldn't have been robbed.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Kraftster wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I really don't understand how that makes the alums somehow accountable?

That would be like blaming Penguins fans if Mario did some misdeed and it was covered up because of the PR damage it would have caused.

Who said anything about accountability? No one is accountable, it's a culture thing, it exists in most large state univerisites....I just think people need to chill out on college football.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Troy Loney wrote: Who said anything about accountability? No one is accountable, it's a culture thing, it exists in most large state univerisites....I just think people need to chill out on college football.
that's like saying due to a riot in england over a soccer game, the nation as a whole should "chill out" over soccer. it's just something that is engraved in society. one scandal is not going to change it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Troy Loney wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

Who said anything about accountability? No one is accountable, it's a culture thing, it exists in most large state univerisites....I just think people need to chill out on college football.
You didn't mention accountability, but I didn't know what other point you were trying to make.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

count2infinity wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Am I remembering this correctly, that either Sandusky or his attorney was saying that the showering with the children wasn't weird. It's a jock thing or something for him to shower with the boys?
pretty much. showering and horseplay while naked was "normal" and blowing raspberries on them was just him trying show his care for them. it's a weak defense to say the least.
"I did everything the prosecution alleges.... except it wasn't illegal, it was 'horseplay'. You see."

:face:

If it wasn't actually happening, it would laughable how much Sandusky and his attorney are right out of the textbook of sexually deviant behavior. They're both such broad strokes that movie characters this un-nuanced would be rewritten to make them more believable.
DudeMan2766 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Given that one of Sandusky's attorneys had sex with his 17 old year client, it doesn't surprise me the defense consists of "This isn't abnormal behavior, just having fun and it was misunderstood."
Eh, I think its unfair to compare the two. Sure its skeevy to sleep with a 17 year old, but in alot of states that isnt even illegal. This guy raped pre teen boys.
If I read things correctly, under PA law the age of sexual consent is 16.... but you can be convicted of Corrupting the Morals of a Minor if you are over 18 and have sex with anyone under 18; so 16 and 17 year olds can bang each other, but anyone over 18 coming to that party is in trouble. Plus if you are more than four years older than the victim it's also Stat Rape. The girl bore Amendola a child before she turned 18. What Amendola did was illegal and, i would suggest, deviant..... and it was also wildly unethical, as he was serving as her attorney in her emancipation action against her parents.
mac5155 wrote:
columbia wrote:
Thank *** I chose to go elsewhere and not have my degrees sullied by that pervert and his enablers at the highest level of the institution.
You're better than that.
Don't be so quick to judge.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I can see it now...

Hey, I just met you.
And this is crazy.
But you went to Penn State.
Pedophile, maybe?
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SirMario66 »

Hey, I think it's absurd that a degree would be worth less after this scandal but face it, this is what PSU is known for now. You live by the football program, you die by the football program. PSU fans dug their own grave by idolizing Joe Paterno and making him the face of their enitre university (think about how absurd that is in itself; a football coach representing an academic institution). It's not their fault that they didn't know that he was a corrupt man with very questionable morals but that's the price you pay for making him your ambassador by making football more important than everything.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

lol