Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Kraftster »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Any other previous thread that discussed Paterno turned into a pissing match and got deleted. The attempt was to prevent yet another thread deletion by having a civil discussion about the trial. Unfortunately that failed and this thread will most likely end up like the others.
I hope Amendola didn't promise the jury they would hear from Jerry himself then.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

columbia wrote:Thank *** I chose to go elsewhere and not have my degrees sullied by that pervert and his enablers at the highest level of the institution.
hahaha. Over the last few pages, you, sir, have serious consideration for the best trolling I have seen on any message board in quite some time. Let me tell you something. When I walk across that stage I won't waste a second of my time thinking about how Jerry Sandusky ruined what I was doing with the last four years of my life. This place is much bigger than the actions of an assistant football coach, however terrible they are.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

llipgh2 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Given that one of Sandusky's attorneys had sex with his 17 old year client, it doesn't surprise me the defense consists of "This isn't abnormal behavior, just having fun and it was misunderstood."
Eh, I think its unfair to compare the two. Sure its skeevy to sleep with a 17 year old, but in alot of states that isnt even illegal. This guy raped pre teen boys.
She's still a minor at 17. He was in his 40s. It's statutory rape. It's illegal in PA.
Its still very different.
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SirMario66 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
columbia wrote:Thank *** I chose to go elsewhere and not have my degrees sullied by that pervert and his enablers at the highest level of the institution.
hahaha. Over the last few pages, you, sir, have serious consideration for the best trolling I have seen on any message board in quite some time. Let me tell you something. When I walk across that stage I won't waste a second of my time thinking about how Jerry Sandusky ruined what I was doing with the last four years of my life. This place is much bigger than the actions of an assistant football coach, however terrible they are.
After reading the last few pages, this seems to be the thing that really bothers me and why I'm siding with Columbia. This was much bigger than just one guy, or even just a few corrupt men's actions. This kind of just put sports in perspective for me as I saw what blind loyalty can do to people.

The entire community played a role in this by putting the PSU football program on a pedestal to the point where Joe Pa and the athletic dept felt the benefits of not turning in Jerry outweighed the drawbacks of children getting raped. From reading some of the testimonies and hearing the stories, it sounds like this wasn't just a small secret; this was a pretty well known rumor in Penn State circles (From New York Times Article: "It was an open joke in Penn State football circles that you shouldn’t drop your soap in the shower when Jerry was around.") but State College is such a closed off community that it really never spread or resonated throughout the country, where I feel that more appropriate actions would have been taken by people who were not so consumed by a football program. Paterno probably knew the football program was going to suffer whether he turned Sandusky in immediately or whether he waited til it inevitably would blow up in his face like this.

Honestly, I'm a diehard Pitt fan and if something like this happened in Pittsburgh/Oakland, I don't think I could ever root for my team ever again. Or at least until they completely cleaned house and even then it would take a while. But I'm convinced that there are maybe 2 or 3 school in the US where this could happen for as long as it did.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

The students and the (in some instances exceptional) faculty had nothing to do with any of this, though. For me, that's really what I recall when I see my degree. I'm, perhaps, in the minority in that I don't have a bleed blue and white mentality about the school, but I don't think any of this touches what touched me at Penn State.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Kraftster wrote:The students and the (in some instances exceptional) faculty had nothing to do with any of this, though. For me, that's really what I recall when I see my degree. I'm, perhaps, in the minority in that I don't have a bleed blue and white mentality about the school, but I don't think any of this touches what touched me at Penn State.
Wait...who touched you at Penn State?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yeah, and columbia is grossly overstating the "sullying" of people's degrees and whatever. I'm sure next time you go to a job interview with your graduate degree from Penn State, your interviewer will say, "Gee, your qualifications are great and we really like you!! Unfortunately, every time I look at you I think of the boy diddler. We're gonna have to pass on you."

Give me a break with that holier-than-thou nonsense. Most people are smart enough to know that the students, faculty, and alumni didn't molest boys. This guilt by association crap is ridiculous.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I debated editing but figured that no one would go there. :shrug:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Kraftster wrote:I debated editing but figured that no one would go there. :shrug:
You must have forgotten where you are.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Saying this puts a damper on degrees from PSU is absurd
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, and columbia is grossly overstating the "sullying" of people's degrees and whatever. I'm sure next time you go to a job interview with your graduate degree from Penn State, your interviewer will say, "Gee, your qualifications are great and we really like you!! Unfortunately, every time I look at you I think of the boy diddler. We're gonna have to pass on you."

Give me a break with that holier-than-thou nonsense. Most people are smart enough to know that the students, faculty, and alumni didn't molest boys. This guilt by association crap is ridiculous.
You're giving "most people" a lot of credit.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, and columbia is grossly overstating the "sullying" of people's degrees and whatever. I'm sure next time you go to a job interview with your graduate degree from Penn State, your interviewer will say, "Gee, your qualifications are great and we really like you!! Unfortunately, every time I look at you I think of the boy diddler. We're gonna have to pass on you."

It wont have an effect on us and the kind of jobs that we get....but if you think about high end jobs in NYC and other places that want strictly Ivy League or top of the class people...I'm pretty sure they're pitching those PSU resumes with less thought than they used to.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

SirMario66 wrote:The entire community played a role in this by putting the PSU football program on a pedestal to the point where Joe Pa and the athletic dept felt the benefits of not turning in Jerry outweighed the drawbacks of children getting raped.
That statement is so absurd I don't even know where to begin. I'm sure if the whole community was told about what was happening they would've decided to keep it a secret to protect the height of that pedestal. :roll:

SirMario66 wrote:Honestly, I'm a diehard Pitt fan and if something like this happened in Pittsburgh/Oakland, I don't think I could ever root for my team ever again. Or at least until they completely cleaned house and even then it would take a while.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Do you really think out of state kids with serious aspirations are going to want to go to PSU anymore?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

steve784 wrote:
SirMario66 wrote:The entire community played a role in this by putting the PSU football program on a pedestal to the point where Joe Pa and the athletic dept felt the benefits of not turning in Jerry outweighed the drawbacks of children getting raped.
That statement is so absurd I don't even know where to begin. I'm sure if the whole community was told about what was happening they would've decided to keep it a secret to protect the height of that pedestal. :roll:
That's not at all what he's saying....It's pretty obvious that a lot of PSU people just don't get it yet.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Troy Loney wrote:Do you really think out of state kids with serious aspirations are going to want to go to PSU anymore?
time heals all wounds. a small percentage of students will avoid the university because of it. over time, this will be a blip on their enrollment radar, if i ventured to guess.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

...a clash of ideologies begins the utter destruction of the fabric of a thread brought about through a foe that everyone despises. Said foe has a shadow that some have projected over everyone that is a Penn St. alum or current student. That makes no sense.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Rylan wrote:...a clash of ideologies begins the utter destruction of the fabric of a thread brought about through a foe that everyone despises. Said foe has a shadow that some have projected over everyone that is a Penn St. alum or current student. That makes no sense.
It's not about the pedophile, it's about the culture of football at State College and amongst the Alumni that led to the cover up. This wouldn't have been covered up if so many people weren't making so much money and gaining prestige through the University and it's football program.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

canaan wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Do you really think out of state kids with serious aspirations are going to want to go to PSU anymore?
time heals all wounds. a small percentage of students will avoid the university because of it. over time, this will be a blip on their enrollment radar, if i ventured to guess.
Agreed.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Troy Loney wrote:
steve784 wrote:
That's not at all what he's saying....It's pretty obvious that a lot of PSU people just don't get it yet.
Get what? That horrendous things were hidden and covered up to protect the reputation of a major university? Yeah. I get that. It's terrible. Those that did it will hopefully get the book thrown at them. To essentially blanket everyone that's part of that community in this is not what I get, because it's ludicrous.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Troy Loney wrote:

It wont have an effect on us and the kind of jobs that we get....but if you think about high end jobs in NYC and other places that want strictly Ivy League or top of the class people...I'm pretty sure they're pitching those PSU resumes with less thought than they used to.
I honestly can't imagine that that is true.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Rylan wrote:...a clash of ideologies begins the utter destruction of the fabric of a thread brought about through a foe that everyone despises. Said foe has a shadow that some have projected over everyone that is a Penn St. alum or current student. That makes no sense.
The "some" that you speak of are "few" and those "few" are not thinking rationally, as a result of what has to be nothing more than personal vendetta. Has to be.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

canaan wrote:
The hit will be minor compared to the hit the enrollment takes because of the hit the football program takes simply because Bradley and JoePa are gone.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Troy Loney wrote:
steve784 wrote:
I'd agree with that statement but you'd have to include the DA and law enforcement into "the community" since neither thought there was sufficient evidence back in 99/01 to bring formal charges against Sandusky. I don't buy that they put penn state on a pedistal.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

columbia wrote:
Thank *** I chose to go elsewhere and not have my degrees sullied by that pervert and his enablers at the highest level of the institution.
Well now that we've gotten to the root issue here.

That's pretty low to say. I've kept my mouth shut but to say that my degree that I worked hard for is somehow not as good as yours because of the actions of a few men whom I never came in personal contact with? You're better than that.