Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Rocco »

MRandall25 wrote:
Rocco wrote:
columbia wrote:
Rocco wrote:You should ask someone who went to PSU those questions. I don't have a degree there, though my school did hand out a degree to a philandering slave-owner who fathered children out of wedlock and then froze them out of his family. You could find someone reprehensible from just about every school. You could probably go to a USC message board and lecture them about being associated with OJ Simpson, an Ohio State board and bring up Jeffrey Dahmer (luckily for tOSU he dropped out after a semester, so the degrees are only 1/8th sullied). Harvard and Michigan degrees are equally sullied since Ted Kaczynski went there.
Slavery is definitely relevant to this conversation....thanks for pointing that out.

I don't recall USC, OSU, Harvard or Michigan covering up any of those, so your analogy fails harder than El Blimpo.
Murdering innocents isn't evil? They aren't tainted by association?

Of course you miss the point. You can taint every school with awful scumbags if you look hard enough.
Apples and oranges...

Like he said, PSU hid it. I doubt you could find 20 people currently on campus who knew Jeffrey Dahmer took a quarter at OSU, and even so, it's not like he killed a bunch of OSU students and the university tried to hide it and pretend it didn't happen.
I don't see Harvard publicizing the fact they were responsible for the education that molded the Unabomber. The idea that the actions of an individual associated with a school somehow taints a degree and should shame people with a diploma from there into burning their diploma and disassociating with that school is a canard written solely to inflame and troll posters.

PSU the school didn't hide anything. Individuals at PSU hid this. You can rightly target those people without targeting people who had nothing to do with any of this.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Troy Loney wrote:So we're not allowed to talk about Paterno's tarnished legacy because......we already talked about that? Time heals all wounds as long as people stop talking about it, is that what the PSU'ers are hoping for?
Lol
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm surprised the prosecution has rested already. I thought this would be a much, much longer trial.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

count2infinity wrote:I'm surprised the prosecution has rested already. I thought this would be a much, much longer trial.
Wow, they have? That's pretty crazy.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shafnutz05 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I'm surprised the prosecution has rested already. I thought this would be a much, much longer trial.
i was just going from what my GF said. Now that i'm looking I can't find that anywhere, so maybe they didn't.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I just read on Centre Daily that the prosecution is looking to wrap up, so you may be right.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Prosecution wrapping up Sandusky case
That's the headline for the PG arrticle on the case today. It says defense will start monday, I'm guessing that means today is the last day of the prosecution's case.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

count2infinity wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
i was just going from what my GF said. Now that i'm looking I can't find that anywhere, so maybe they didn't.
All I heard yesterday morning were updates saying they expected to wrap up their case yesterday, but havent heard anything if they actually did or not. I thought so too that was really soon.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

this will be a relatively short trial compared to other high profile cases. the prosecution has expanded on the grand jury testimony and the defense hasnt really denied their claims.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the OJ Simpson trial permanently skewed how i view the duration of the legal process
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

shmenguin wrote:the OJ Simpson trial permanently skewed how i view the duration of the legal process
If there is no horseplay the jury must not allow these people to make hay
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

From what I had heard they were originally expecting three weeks for the trial, but it may only go two now. That depends on how the defense presents their case. You would think they are going to want to stretch this out a bit.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

I'm guessing the defense will consist of what a wonderful human being Sandusky is.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Factorial wrote:I'm guessing the defense will consist of what a wonderful human being Sandusky is.
Basically what Im hearing so far, is much of their defense seems to revolve around proving the dates the victims are claiming to be abused are incorrect :face: yikes.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Factorial wrote:I'm guessing the defense will consist of what a wonderful human being Sandusky is.
Basically what Im hearing so far, is much of their defense seems to revolve around proving the dates the victims are claiming to be abused are incorrect :face: yikes.
yeah, I have yet to hear them come out and actually refute anything other than dates and times.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Am I remembering this correctly, that either Sandusky or his attorney was saying that the showering with the children wasn't weird. It's a jock thing or something for him to shower with the boys?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Troy Loney wrote:Am I remembering this correctly, that either Sandusky or his attorney was saying that the showering with the children wasn't weird. It's a jock thing or something for him to shower with the boys?
pretty much. showering and horseplay while naked was "normal" and blowing raspberries on them was just him trying show his care for them. it's a weak defense to say the least.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Pavel Bure wrote:
shmenguin wrote:the OJ Simpson trial permanently skewed how i view the duration of the legal process
If there is no horseplay the jury must not allow these people to make hay

All I could think of when seeing this.
Spoiler:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

count2infinity wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Am I remembering this correctly, that either Sandusky or his attorney was saying that the showering with the children wasn't weird. It's a jock thing or something for him to shower with the boys?
pretty much. showering and horseplay while naked was "normal" and blowing raspberries on them was just him trying show his care for them. it's a weak defense to say the least.
the Michael Jackson defense. "Sure, I slept with them, cuddled with them, gave them baths, etc, but it wasn't in a WEIRD way!"
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Given that one of Sandusky's attorneys had sex with his 17 old year client, it doesn't surprise me the defense consists of "This isn't abnormal behavior, just having fun and it was misunderstood."
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

llipgh2 wrote:Given that one of Sandusky's attorneys had sex with his 17 old year client, it doesn't surprise me the defense consists of "This isn't abnormal behavior, just having fun and it was misunderstood."
Eh, I think its unfair to compare the two. Sure its skeevy to sleep with a 17 year old, but in alot of states that isnt even illegal. This guy raped pre teen boys.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

With the number of counts against him, will he be let off if one date/time doesn't appear to match up correctly? Is it an all or nothing situation, where all of the victims stories have to be believed, or if the jury only believes some of it and not others, could he still be convicted?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Given that one of Sandusky's attorneys had sex with his 17 old year client, it doesn't surprise me the defense consists of "This isn't abnormal behavior, just having fun and it was misunderstood."
Eh, I think its unfair to compare the two. Sure its skeevy to sleep with a 17 year old, but in alot of states that isnt even illegal. This guy raped pre teen boys.
She's still a minor at 17. He was in his 40s. It's statutory rape. It's illegal in PA.
Last edited by llipgh2 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I doubt he gets all 56 charges against him, but I would be surprised if he does not get at least 25-30 guilty charges.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

llipgh2 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
She's still a minor at 17. He was in his 40s. It's statutory rape. It's illegal in PA.
Didn't he marry her?