Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by no name »

I read the paper today, i will no longer follow the case, its just to disturbing.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I wonder if Sandusky is thinking he should have taken a plea now with these witnesses on the stand.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'd say the defense attorney (from what I read last night) is doing a pretty good job of digging Sandusky an even bigger hole in the cross-exams.

Can't say I'd love to be in his spot, but he's probably making bank on this.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

count2infinity wrote:I wonder if Sandusky is thinking he should have taken a plea now with these witnesses on the stand.
At his age any jail sentence he gets if he's convicted of anything is pretty much a life sentence. There's no upside to pleading.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

As a PSU alum I want Curley, Spanier, Schultz, and anyone else that buried, halted, or prevented any investigation into Sandusky to get the book thrown at them and more. I want Sandusky to get the worse treatment possible as well. Based on the testimony and evidence presented so far, I believe he is guilty.

I think most PSU alumni share my feelings.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:As a PSU alum I want Curley, Spanier, Schultz, and anyone else that buried, halted, or prevented any investigation into Sandusky to get the book thrown at them and more. I want Sandusky to get the worse treatment possible as well. Based on the testimony and evidence presented so far, I believe he is guilty.

Agreed.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:As a PSU alum I want Curley, Spanier, Schultz, and anyone else that buried, halted, or prevented any investigation into Sandusky to get the book thrown at them and more. I want Sandusky to get the worse treatment possible as well. Based on the testimony and evidence presented so far, I believe he is guilty.

I believe he is guilty, but also believe with regards to penn state the buck stopped with spanier. I don't know how he sleeps at night.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

The testimony today was disturbing. McQueary did pretty much nothing to stop the abuse that he personally witnessed. After he saw Sandusky and the boy in the shower he claimed he slammed his locker in a "Someone's hear! Break it up!" way then immediately went to his office. Come on, Mike, you have to do more than that.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -testifies
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

From Victim #1 testimony today:
One day the boy told his mother he wanted to find the Web site listing people who had done bad things to children. “I told her I wanted to see if Jerry was on there,” he told the jury.

His mother decided they needed to have a meeting with the school guidance counselor. Under questioning the guidance counselor, “Victim 1” said Sandusky had molested him. His mother said at the meeting that they should contact police or child services.

The guidance counselor – who was not identified in court – disagreed, the witness said. “They – they said – they said we needed to think about it. He has a heart of gold and he wouldn’t do something like that. They wouldn’t believe me,” he said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd like to see this Guidance Counselor identified and hopefully he will face at least a civil lawsuit.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Wow. So McQueary is a bigger sack of **** than I thought.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shmenguin wrote:Wow. So McQueary is a bigger sack of **** than I thought.
Well that applies to everyone at PSU and the local authorities, who had any knowledge of what was happening.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Given what I've heard so far from victims and witnesses I can't believe that at no point was Sandusky ever really challenged on his actions. From the guidance counselor to McQueary to potentially Curley, Schultz, and Spanier. Not one person said this is serious business and NEEDS to be investigated. Given the severity of the things Sandusky is alleged to have done I still can't understand how it went on for so long.

Something just doesn't seem right. I can understand the Penn State cover up portion of it, but Penn State administrators are hardly the only people that knew. It just blows my mind.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

thehockeyguru wrote:Given what I've heard so far from victims and witnesses I can't believe that at no point was Sandusky ever really challenged on his actions. From the guidance counselor to McQueary to potentially Curley, Schultz, and Spanier. Not one person said this is serious business and NEEDS to be investigated. Given the severity of the things Sandusky is alleged to have done I still can't understand how it went on for so long.

Something just doesn't seem right. I can understand the Penn State cover up portion of it, but Penn State administrators are hardly the only people that knew. It just blows my mind.
This article, which was posted in a previous thread, explains it well:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically, who is ready to believe someone that they seemingly know well and does so many good things is capable of being a monster?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

That article doesn't help me at all. The counselor is in a position of looking out for children, how can that person take lightly a child coming to them and saying he was molested? How can they think that contacting the police and investigating isn't the right thing to do?

I don't care if he appeared to be a nice guy, if a kid gains the courage to tell you something of that magnitude how can you not take him seriously?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

You asked why he wasn't challenged. That article states the main reasons why. It doesn't excuse the inaction of anyone, especially someone like the guidance counselor. Many people viewed Sandusky as a person looking out for children as well, so he had gained a lot of people's trust. But you're right, there's no legitimate reason why no one really checked into this.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

McQueary believes he did good by slamming his locker shut, looking at sandusky and the child victim, only to walk away ? I hope the cover up sullies forever the reputation of the leadership of PSU. Sandusky and his wife... they need to face the real punishment . The wife knew, wife always knows.

I hope the trail of emails submitted implicate all for the cover up.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

MWB wrote:You asked why he wasn't challenged. That article states the main reasons why. It doesn't excuse the inaction of anyone, especially someone like the guidance counselor. Many people viewed Sandusky as a person looking out for children as well, so he had gained a lot of people's trust. But you're right, there's no legitimate reason why no one really checked into this.
I just don't see how people can be so naive. How well do you really know someone? Not to stray from the subject or offend anyone but the scandal with priests in the Catholic church is a perfect example. People you would least expect to do wrong did.

To me anyone who failed to report this should be in line for jail time. The thought that "he was a nice guy" just doesn't cut it.

If anything comes from this case beyond Sandusky spending the rest of his days in a federal prison, I hope its stricter punishments for people who fail to report sexual assaults.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My guess is that you are correct Penny.
Even if she never saw anything, she probably subconsciously knew that something very, very wrong was happening.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

columbia wrote:My guess is that you are correct Penny.
Even if she never saw anything, she probably subconsciously knew that something very, very wrong was happening.
He was taking kids on bowl trips and she was present. There's a 0% chance she didn't know to some extent.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm not defending anyone even remotely close to it.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

columbia wrote:I'm not defending anyone even remotely close to it.
My point is that there were failures on such a massive level by so many people who were in a position to help these kids that Sandusky alone going to jail isn't going to leave me satisfied.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

thehockeyguru wrote:
MWB wrote:You asked why he wasn't challenged. That article states the main reasons why. It doesn't excuse the inaction of anyone, especially someone like the guidance counselor. Many people viewed Sandusky as a person looking out for children as well, so he had gained a lot of people's trust. But you're right, there's no legitimate reason why no one really checked into this.
I just don't see how people can be so naive. How well do you really know someone? Not to stray from the subject or offend anyone but the scandal with priests in the Catholic church is a perfect example. People you would least expect to do wrong did.

To me anyone who failed to report this should be in line for jail time. The thought that "he was a nice guy" just doesn't cut it.

If anything comes from this case beyond Sandusky spending the rest of his days in a federal prison, I hope its stricter punishments for people who fail to report sexual assaults.
I agree with you completely. How many kids would make something like this up?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

thehockeyguru wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm not defending anyone even remotely close to it.
My point is that there were failures on such a massive level by so many people who were in a position to help these kids that Sandusky alone going to jail isn't going to leave me satisfied.
Unfortunately, it will probably satisfy most people. And many of the people who could have done something, who did know something, will say, "I'm so glad that monster is gone" and not examine their own inaction.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Does the prosecution only have witness testimony? Couldn't this still be hard to prove within a reasonable doubt?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Also, regarding the counselor, I believe s/he should be charged. Guidance counselors are required by law to report suspected abuse in most, if not all, states. Same goes for any teachers who were told about it.