Non-Pens NHL Games Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Non-Pens NHL Games Thread

Post by DelPen »

Couple of thoughts, anyone else gett really annoyed at Edzo for harping on the coming penalties that would just have to be going to the Devils since the Kings scored three times on a major? Then when Penner gets called in the 2nd he argues it was a bad call?

And Pee-air must have forgot the Ducks won a cup before he asked Brown what the Cup will do for hockey in socal.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

DelPen wrote:Couple of thoughts, anyone else gett really annoyed at Edzo for harping on the coming penalties that would just have to be going to the Devils since the Kings scored three times on a major? Then when Penner gets called in the 2nd he argues it was a bad call?

And Pee-air must have forgot the Ducks won a cup before he asked Brown what the Cup will do for hockey in socal.
Edzo is stupid.

Pierre isn't. I think the influence that the Kings have on Southern Calfornia is greater than that of the Ducks. I think Anaheim is less than an hour from LA, but the Ducks are still one of the smallest market teams in the league I feel. No one goes to Ducks games unless they are in the process of winning the Cup or just went to one. I don't want to use the word "half empty" because that's hyperbole, but the Ducks aren't a hot ticket and they have some pretty cheap ticket deals according to locals...

The Kings, despite their rocky history and overall lack of success, seem to have no problem getting butts in the seats - except maybe in a year when the Ducks do incredibly well because they're taking from the same areas...but the Kings are a greater influence, been there for 45 years to the Ducks 19 or whatever it's been...celebrities, big market, Staples center, LA Times vs. Orange County Register...big differences...

The last time the Kings did something noteworthy, the NHL added a bunch of teams nearby includng...the Ducks.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

@CowherCBS: Kudos to the LA Kings and son-n-law Kevin Westgarth on winning the Stanley Cup. An 8th seed wins it all. A true team effort. Fun to watch!
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

So how often does the 8th seed winning the Cup and playoff position not mattering come up on this board next season when people get upset if the Pens arent playing well? I think it being mentioned after every single loss is a strong possibility.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:So how often does the 8th seed winning the Cup and playoff position not mattering come up on this board next season when people get upset if the Pens arent playing well? I think it being mentioned after every single loss is a strong possibility.
Someone's gotta combat the "Pens lost a game, season's over" crowd.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

MRandall25 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:So how often does the 8th seed winning the Cup and playoff position not mattering come up on this board next season when people get upset if the Pens arent playing well? I think it being mentioned after every single loss is a strong possibility.
I know. I think both sides are way to extreme but playoff positioning DOES matter more often than it doesnt. Maybe im just being a homer but I think if the Pens get that 1 extra point amd finish first its a whole different ball game. Maybe not the Cup, but certainly woukdnt have been embarrassed the way they were against a team that knew how to not only expose all their weaknesses, but easily get under their skin. Not many playoff trams in the east I dont think would have been able to do that
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
I know. I think both sides are way to extreme but playoff positioning DOES matter more often than it doesnt. Maybe im just being a homer but I think if the Pens get that 1 extra point amd finish first its a whole different ball game. Maybe not the Cup, but certainly woukdnt have been embarrassed the way they were against a team that knew how to not only expose all their weaknesses, but easily get under their skin. Not many playoff trams in the east I dont think would have been able to do that
But they had lost to the Sens like 8-4 3 weeks before the series started. Not saying the Sens were going to give them as many problems as the Flyers, but it wouldn't have been an automatic win.

I mean, look at the Kings. They were the 8th seed. Anything can happen.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

well...if anyone was watching that ottawa game or the islander games that followed and said "season's over", they would have been correct.

there are times when a loss is more than just a loss. start developing nasty habits towards the end of the year (like the pens did and like the kings didn't), and people should start freaking out.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Not sure if this was posted already, but the Kings are the 9th different team to win the cup in the past 9 years.

Just shows the amount of parity and how hard it is to win the cup multiple times.

PS - that is like 30% of the league.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

shmenguin wrote:well...if anyone was watching that ottawa game or the islander games that followed and said "season's over", they would have been correct.

there are times when a loss is more than just a loss. start developing nasty habits towards the end of the year (like the pens did and like the kings didn't), and people should start freaking out.

bingo. We can't say we didnt see the signs of bad things looming on the horizon .
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

newarenanow wrote:Not sure if this was posted already, but the Kings are the 9th different team to win the cup in the past 9 years.

Just shows the amount of parity and how hard it is to win the cup multiple times.

They are also the 4th of 12 teams who were in the bottom two of their divisions in the season after the lockout that have won the Cup (Pens, Hawks, Bruins, Kings).
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

newarenanow wrote:Not sure if this was posted already, but the Kings are the 9th different team to win the cup in the past 9 years.

When I made that point last night (about how hard it is to repeat - especially post lockout) , the drunken natives got all up in arms.

But that's a great stat NAN.

I'm betting that a couple of the free agents from each of these teams makes it back to the cup before either LA or NJD does.

It's just how the league is set up these days. (and, I for one, prefer it this way)
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

ExPatriatePen wrote: When I made that point last night (about how hard it is to repeat - especially post lockout) , the drunken natives got all up in arms.
Was something deleted? I went back to look for the "drunken natives" and couldn't find anything noteworthy.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

EPP the only person that sounded like they were making drunken arguments were you. You were all over the map and blowing things way out of proportion. For example something like this and im obviously paraphrasing but not by much.

Malk- Who would have thought in 09 Scuderi would get his 2nd Cup before that Pens team?

EPP- I dont see whats SOOOO unbelievable about it. Scuderi is a good player..

Malk- Just because Scuds is a good player doesnt mean it was reasonable to think he'd get another Cup before Crosby/Malkin. He can't win the Cup on his own.

EPP- There hasn't been a dynasty since the 80s Oilers and last time I checked the Kings have more than 1 player so your comment that Scuderi could win a Cup by himself is LULZ!!!

On top of that telling Malk to "get off his high horse." You were making zero sense dude.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

DudeMan2766 wrote:EPP- I dont see whats SOOOO unbelievable about it. Scuderi is a good player..
people that know hockey would know that
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

"Drunken natives"....your level of condescension is just priceless. "Everyone disagrees with me?! It must be because they are all completely intoxicated! I'm the only one making sense here dammit!"

And for the record, with regard to what NAN posted above, whatever you posted didn't remotely convey what he said.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Though it's non-sequitur almost in context...the Devils 3 in 9 years in the free agency era and the Wings 3 in 6 years are not dynastic? Certainly debatable...but sometimes you have to give a little bit, as we aren't in the ol' "reserve clause" era...
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Also, and this is just something I enjoy to follow because I would one day love to see every team have at least one championship in every major sport (probably ain't goign to happen in my lifetime), but there are now 18 teams with at least one cup and 12 teams w/o one.

18 who won - Pens, Flyers, Rangers, Isles, Devils, Canadiens, Leafs, Bruins, Hurricanes, Lightening, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Stars, Oilers, Flames, Kings, Avs, Ducks

12 who hasn't won - Senators, Sabres, Capitals, Panthers, Jets, Predators, Wild, Coyotes, Canucks, Sharks, Blues, Blue Jackets

You can class the Sens however you want, since their original incarnation won one, but I'm going by the current one.

The closest sport to having all of their teams win one is MLB, with 8 teams still needing to win one (stupid Texas Rangers last year).
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens Fan Since 1970 »

newarenanow wrote:Does Boobie girl get her name on the Cup?
She has multiple cups!!!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Anyone hear J. Quick's drunken speech yesterday? Also he had a wad of chew in his mouth as big as a golf ball the whole time. Kind of classless. Get it together until after your speech then party IMO
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

jimjom wrote:Anyone hear J. Quick's drunken speech yesterday? Also he had a wad of chew in his mouth as big as a golf ball the whole time. Kind of classless. Get it together until after your speech then party IMO
There is a photoshop of him standing at the podium with a drunk Patrick Kane. :lol:
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

I just had to laugh... 'look at these @#$!in guys'..

But yeah, as a role model you wish he'd comepose himself enough but at the same time.. if it were me.. i have to admit i'd probably be right there with him!

LANGUAGE WARNING

[youtube][/youtube]
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Kovy27 wrote:Mike Richards was a cocky, dbag in Philly. He's not as bad in LA.
I hate Jeff Carter. ***clown.
I always felt there was too much pressure/expectations on Richards because he isn't a true #1 center. But he's really good as #2, so this was a terrific trade for him.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I'm just going to say that this was such a letdown of a game. It was over in period 1, when Bernier took that penalty. I read Devil's players defend him, but what are they gonna do. They know he feels awful about it. Still, if I'm the Devils, I am furious with the guy. I probably trade him. This game was not a good showing for the NHL. They needed drama, an OT, etc.. It was kind of boring after Kings scored on that PP.

Brown is one ugly, stupid sounding, ogre.

Quick may, in fact, be the best goalie in the game.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Lulz at quicks speech. Heaven forbid a young man enjoy his championship.