NHL Transactions and News - 2012 Offseason

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: NHL Transactions and News - 2012 Offseason

Post by topshelf »

Rumor: Nash to Philly?

Both sides deny it, but could Philly actually fit him in the budget?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

He only makes like $3 mil more than JVR, right? And Matt Carle is going far, far away (though I hope not, because he's terrible)...I'm not sure I see this as true though...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Was told Flyers offered Bobrovsky around the league. Not a huge surprise - they want a better safety net behind Bryzgalov.
shocking!
d hasek to join fly-boys...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

hasn't bobrovsky been AT LEAST as good as a solid backup goalie?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

JVR's surgery being held up because of a foot infection. Not necessarily trade related. But who knows with Philadelphia. Holmgren will probably just sim ahead a few days until the injury is cleared up and then try the trade again...

Re: Bobrovsky. Yeah, he's played at least as well as a backup. But with a young goalie, you'd like to see some clear signs of an improvement and I'm not positive that I've seen it. He still collapses his body when sliding across, he makes himself smaller than he really is, among other things...not sure if the Flyers see him as a long-term solution or maybe some other teams have a bigger interest in him than they do...who knows...this is an organization that just let their top prospect (goalie Joacim Ericsson) walk for no evident reason and then signed a prospect that Minnesota rejected (Niko Hovinen) to fill the spot in the organizational depth...it's never clear what's going on in that front office...

Having been born in Philadelphia, I should really thank God more often that I'm not a Flyers fan...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

mikey287 wrote:He only makes like $3 mil more than JVR, right? And Matt Carle is going far, far away (though I hope not, because he's terrible)...I'm not sure I see this as true though...
Meltzer says Holmgren wants to re-sign Carle, fwiw
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

canaan wrote:
mikey287 wrote:He only makes like $3 mil more than JVR, right? And Matt Carle is going far, far away (though I hope not, because he's terrible)...I'm not sure I see this as true though...
Meltzer says Holmgren wants to re-sign Carle, fwiw
Of course Holmgren does...because that's the opposite of what makes sense...Carle blows...but I hope he stays...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Jim Slater re-signs with Winnipeg: 3 years, $1.6 million per. Wanted to stay a Jet. Good energy guy, plays with great speed, determination. PK guy, faceoffs. From Sparty nation if memory serves too, nothing wrong with that...

The Devils have between now and 2014 forfeit a first round pick as a result of attempted cap circumvention with the Ilya Kovalchuk signing. They will select 29th this year and will keep the pick - not opting to forfeit in 2012.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

mikey287 wrote:The Devils have between now and 2014 forfeit a first round pick as a result of attempted cap circumvention with the Ilya Kovalchuk signing. They will select 29th this year and will keep the pick - not opting to forfeit in 2012.
Don't understand why they wouldn't forfeit this year, since there's only 1 team behind them. Just seems like the smarter thing to do just in case one of the next 2 years goes wrong for whatever reason.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

MRandall25 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:The Devils have between now and 2014 forfeit a first round pick as a result of attempted cap circumvention with the Ilya Kovalchuk signing. They will select 29th this year and will keep the pick - not opting to forfeit in 2012.
Don't understand why they wouldn't forfeit this year, since there's only 1 team behind them. Just seems like the smarter thing to do just in case one of the next 2 years goes wrong for whatever reason.
Agreed. Especially when I think this is a weak draft?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Very bizzare. You would think that they'd want to get it out of the way when drafting late. They could really end up getting screwed if they wait until 2014 and end up tanking that year...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Understandable curiosity, but here's why perhaps:

- Bold statement that this will be a good team for years to come. Confidence in his club.
- A lot of prospects joined the team this year and are out of the "pipeline" so to speak: Adam Larsson, Adam Henrique, Jacob Josefson and the like and maybe a couple of more this coming year (Tedenby perhaps, Urbom has a shot, I think Corrente is waiver eligible this year, etc.) - gotta replenish the cupboard
- Maybe they want someone late in the first or want to use it in a trade of some sort. A couple of goalies are going to be in that area: Malcolm Subban, Andrei Vasilevski, Oscar Dansk...guys that they might not be able to get when their first pick is 60.
- Lamiorello has always been a very powerful guy. You never know what kind of shenanigans he can pull with a new CBA coming up, knowing him he'll pull a Congress move and attach a "forgive the Devils cap circumvention" bill to the CBA and get it ratified. He's very tricky, who knows what he has up his sleeve.
- Chance to acquire another first in the future is greater than right now, just by default. Maybe he wants a longer chance to recoup the pick some place else.
Last edited by mikey287 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

the wicked child wrote:Very bizzare. You would think that they'd want to get it out of the way when drafting late. They could really end up getting screwed if they wait until 2014 and end up tanking that year...
Especially when Parise signs with the Pens! :D
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wild gonna make it rain on Parise? I mean, what, they plannin to throw 10 mil a season at this guy or what?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

Fire0nice228 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html

Wild gonna make it rain on Parise? I mean, what, they plannin to throw 10 mil a season at this guy or what?
I wouldn't be surprised to see him get offered about 11 million from them.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'm not sure if I put Chris Kelly's (4 yrs, $12 mil) and Gregory Campbell's (3 years, $4.8 mil) in here yet...but either way, the central registry has rejected Kelly's contract. Tagging issue evidently.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Tagging?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

MRandall25 wrote:Tagging?
Ooh sorry, meant to explain that briefly...simply, the salary cap space you have in future years. In short, an extension can't put you over the salary cap in a future year.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

npv708 wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get offered about 11 million from them.
So, I was gonna bring up the "tampering" issue, but I see it got answered in the article. However, just because he doesn't work for the team doesn't mean it isn't tampering. who's to say he hasn't spoken with the GM and they put him up to this charade? I would think the Wild need to come out and "deny" the story pretty quickly.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Parise's father did spend a lot of time in MIN...who knows: maybe that could swing thing their way.
(Different organization, of course.)
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

If I'm Parise, I better be getting max contract, stock options, and my number retired(even I wasn't any good there) before I even consider playing in Minnesota.

Or maybe even a written guarantee in writing that they'd spend enough money around me to build a competent team.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm not recommending it as a positive career move for him.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

columbia wrote:I'm not recommending it as a positive career move for him.
haha no, but the recent report coming out that the Wild will make a huge run at Parise is absurd.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Malkamaniac wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm not recommending it as a positive career move for him.
haha no, but the recent report coming out that the Wild will make a huge run at Parise is absurd.
There is also a rumor going around that they won't be outbid for Suter if he hits the open market. I don't know if Lou Nanne is behind that one too, but he's doing a pretty good job of getting around NHL tampering rules for the Wild since he's not employed in any capacity with Minnesota.

I think the ownership has the $$$ to make serious runs at UFA's......why do you think otherwise?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

NJ to Minny -- either way Parise is a standout player on a boring club.

Nash to PHI: I love how Holmgren and Snider are so desperate. I'm not saying any team shouldn't want Nash but it's kind of pathetic how they keep throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks. They do it with goaltending and with top 6 forwards and still never succeed in raising a Cup.