Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by skullman80 »

So the Sandusky trial starts today... does anyone think we can have a civil discussion about this and not get it locked? I ask that seriously....

I posed a question in JTOR that I later deleted because I didn't want that thread to have a shot of being deleted. I'm honestly curious though, even though I know State College is a small community, how they can have half the jury have ties to PSU, one I think being a current student, and a couple being former professors?

In the end .. this trial really won't have a good ending, because either Sandusky is proven of being a child molester, or a bunch of kids made up a bunch of lies and ruined a guys image.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by pittsoccer33 »

skullman80 wrote: how they can have half the jury have ties to PSU, one I think being a current student, and a couple being former professors?
They have to be the biggest employer in Pennsyltucky.

That would be like a trial having ties to UPMC in Pittsburgh. Everyone has a family member who works for the hospital system or Pitt itself.

I just wonder what evidence beyond witness testimony exists for some of these incidents.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

If the trial is being held in Centre County than it is impossible to not have jurors with ties to Penn State. I believe only the defense can make a motion to move the trial to another location.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:If the trial is being held in Centre County than it is impossible to not have jurors with ties to Penn State. I believe only the defense can make a motion to move the trial to another location.
I thought the defense already requested a change of venue, and were denied.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yeah, I think people are completely misinterpreting the makeup of the jury here. If anything, the defense would be more likely to request a change of venue. You think people that have close ties to the university are going to be less inclined to find Sandusky guilty? No way. Jerry Sandusky did more to crush and damage Penn State University than anyone else in history, and it is not even close by a long shot.

Penn Staters are still furious with that man, and rightfully so. The prosecution would be silly to request a different venue, if they could even do that.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Assuming that the evidence is there for a conviction, I have a hard time believing that someone is so drinking the PSU kool-aid, that he would be acquitted.
Stranger things have happened, I suppose.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I think the "ties to Penn State" thing is a little bit played out. Who doesn't have ties to Penn State these days?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, I think people are completely misinterpreting the makeup of the jury here. If anything, the defense would be more likely to request a change of venue. You think people that have close ties to the university are going to be less inclined to find Sandusky guilty? No way. Jerry Sandusky did more to crush and damage Penn State University than anyone else in history, and it is not even close by a long shot.

Penn Staters are still furious with that man, and rightfully so. The prosecution would be silly to request a different venue, if they could even do that.
Never thought of it like that , makes sense.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

There may be a microscopic contingent of Penn State fans that actually believe Sandusky is innocent of all charges, but the vast majority hate his stinking guts and would love to see him get violated repeatedly in a jail cell for the rest of his life.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

columbia wrote:Assuming that the evidence is there for a conviction, I have a hard time believing that someone is so drinking the PSU kool-aid, that he would be acquitted.
Stranger things have happened, I suppose.
OJ would like a word with you.. :pop:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I do wonder whether the prosecution is going to be able to meet its burden in this case.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

if there is bias from a local jury, i don't see why it would be "pro-sandusky". the PSU faithful must view him as the cause of jopa's downfall, right?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

shmenguin wrote:if there is bias from a local jury, i don't see why it would be "pro-sandusky". the PSU faithful must view him as the cause of jopa's downfall, right?
I agree with this. My assumption is that most (if not all) PSU faithful want this guy locked up.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the errey i breathe »

I think the issue is going to be proving beyond a reasonable doubt that he is guilty, given that this trial will lack physical evidence and be mostly he said/she said. Plus the defense is likely to pick apart each person on the stand. I was reading an article on Yahoo that seemed to suggest that this could be another Casey Anthony, where the prosecution has a heck of a time proving their case.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

In the end .. this trial really won't have a good ending, because either Sandusky is proven of being a child molester, or a bunch of kids made up a bunch of lies and ruined a guys image.
See i kinda worry about these kind of cases in another way..

1. the defence gets him off scott free when he is guilty
2. or he is innocent and found guilty.

In the end i just pray justice is servered. But i think our system gets it right more so than not.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

It's not going to be a slam dunk, that's for sure. Hell, one of the main witnesses has dementia.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

As far as the jurors..

Yea, it'd be impossible for them to not have PSU connections in their area.. But if there really are a couple who are former professors , they could have done a better job than that

I really haven't paid much attention to this, but wouldn't the alleged love letters be pretty damning?
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

I don't know if you guys are following the trial this afternoon but the quotes from the victims are absolutely horrifying.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

skullman80 wrote:So the Sandusky trial starts today... does anyone think we can have a civil discussion about this and not get it locked? I ask that seriously....

I posed a question in JTOR that I later deleted because I didn't want that thread to have a shot of being deleted. I'm honestly curious though, even though I know State College is a small community, how they can have half the jury have ties to PSU, one I think being a current student, and a couple being former professors?

Little chance a bomb-thrower doesn't managed to get the thread locked.

Given how intertwined PSU is with Centre County, there's no way the jury would have no connection to PSU. When I worked in small counties it was fairly common to have jurors who somehow knew the victim, the defendant, or were related to law enforcement. (The sheriffs offices and state prisons are pretty big employers.) You just have to deal with it unless you can get a change of venue.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

no name wrote:
See i kinda worry about these kind of cases in another way..

1. the defence gets him off scott free when he is guilty
2. or he is innocent and found guilty.

In the end i just pray justice is servered. But i think our system gets it right more so than not.
If the jury believes one of the victims, Sandusky is doomed. His attorney has to prove they're all lying. Have fun storming the castle.
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SirMario66 »

After 1 day it seems even more evident to me that this was a coverup. The one victim said Bradley would wait til they were done showering and was "suspicious." WTF? Also, seems pretty weird that paterno's final will wasn't released. Apparently, it's usually available to the public after it passes through the court. Must be something pretty damning.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

SirMario66 wrote:Apparently, it's usually available to the public after it passes through the court. Must be something pretty damning.
Idk, that's assuming a lot tbh..
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

IanMoran wrote:
SirMario66 wrote:Apparently, it's usually available to the public after it passes through the court. Must be something pretty damning.
Yeah, lots of "celebrity" wills are sealed.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Hockeynut! wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
Yeah, lots of "celebrity" wills are sealed.
Not to mention he always liked privacy in regards to financial matters. I'd imagine if there was anything going to Second Mile, it wont end up there. Methinks a large chunk of his estate will go to Penn state in the form of academic scholarships and I wouldn't expect anything less.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Didn't they find reports that Schultz and the other guy (whose name escapes me) hid the abuse because it would be the "humane thing to do for Sandusky"?