Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by count2infinity »

Ben Klingston wrote:Using a new local farm-produced food delivery service that delivers new produce weekly, but based on growing season (i.e. you don't choose what you get).

Got a bunch of collard greens, which I don't think I've ever had before, and I know how to use Google, but any particular favorites or recommended tips?
we just did the same thing. get our first box next week.

as far as collard greens go, for any greens (spinach, kale, collards) i really like spicy creamed versions. I use this recipe as a guideline: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patr ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. but i use light cream, more spices, and I add bacon to it. delicious.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

count2infinity wrote:i don't really ever go by temperature. I know i should, but I tend to have a good idea of when things are at the temp I want them. So what temp do I cook my chicken to? To when it's done.
I just can't do that with chicken... I mean you can generally tell when it's about done by looking at it, but I don't trust it.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

count2infinity wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:Using a new local farm-produced food delivery service that delivers new produce weekly, but based on growing season (i.e. you don't choose what you get).

Got a bunch of collard greens, which I don't think I've ever had before, and I know how to use Google, but any particular favorites or recommended tips?
we just did the same thing. get our first box next week.

as far as collard greens go, for any greens (spinach, kale, collards) i really like spicy creamed versions. I use this recipe as a guideline: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patr ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. but i use light cream, more spices, and I add bacon to it. delicious.
Are you in Pittsburgh area?

I've had creamed spinach before and it is good, though with most things delicious, it seems a bit heavy. Part of the reason I started the service is to kind of force myself to eat a bit healthier. Gonna google for something lighter (and likely, less delicious).
Last edited by Ben Klingston on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

no, i live in state college. and the greens work well without the cream. sauteed greens are delicious.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

stinky wrote:So fellow cooks, a question for ya. What temp do you personally cook your chicken at? I am of the thought that the current USDA recommendations of 160 - 165 are slightly too high. For years I have been cooking to low 150s and each and every time I feel 100% confident that it is safe to eat (no pink or raw meat texture)

I did notice that the USDA has recently lowered the pork temps, I am wondering if the chicken temps will be lowered (or should be, maybe I am the crazy one)
The USDA guideline temps are, tbh, absurdly high. The revised many of them downwards by a few degrees last year, but they are still insane, imo Yes, you are all but guaranteed to kill any bacteria that might be in the animal..... but you are also virtually guaranteed to cook out all of the natural flavor of that animal's flesh.

For example, the recommended temp to cook all whole cuts of meat - including pork - is 145 F. I am going on record now: If you ever hear me say "I cooked a ribeye last night to 145 F" you all have my permission to come to my house and kill me. If I ever cook a steak beyond 130 F it's probably because a zombie attacked my wife and I had a few moments of inattention whilst cooking. Pork I'll cook to 135 F - 140 F depending on the cut and source of the meat, but I'm squarely in the 118 F - 125 F for beef.

That 'source of the meat' bit is important. I buy meat from markets that source from 'green' purveyors, and who use non-factory methods of slaughter and processing. I also tend to buy larger cuts and break them down myself, which minimizes exposure to possible contaminants and allows me as the cook to be a bit freer with the temperatures to which I cook the products.
count2infinity wrote:i don't really ever go by temperature. I know i should, but I tend to have a good idea of when things are at the temp I want them. So what temp do I cook my chicken to? To when it's done.
If you aren't taking the meat's temperature you will never know "when it's done". Sure, you can get a rough approximation of its doneness doing the poke test, but there can be a variance of as much as 10 degrees using that method. And that 10 degrees can be the difference between awesomely juicy and carbon.

A thermometer costs $7. They're worth the investment...... especially if, like me, you prefer cooking to lower temps.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

tifosi77 wrote: A thermometer costs $7. They're worth the investment...... especially if, like me, you prefer cooking to lower temps.
I will eventually, but right now I'm just not cooking on a regular basis enough to worry about it. I do a lot of slow cooker things and grilled veggies, so I don't have a use for it. When I do steaks I have a good feel for doneness by touch (worked in a steakhouse for numerous years). Really beyond that, the only protein I cook is chicken, and again. I have a good feel for where I want my chicken. Eventually when I have more time to cook I will certainly be using thermometers, but for now I just don't need one.
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by stinky »

For example, the recommended temp to cook all whole cuts of meat - including pork - is 145 F. I am going on record now: If you ever hear me say "I cooked a ribeye last night to 145 F" you all have my permission to come to my house and kill me. If I ever cook a steak beyond 130 F it's probably because a zombie attacked my wife and I had a few moments of inattention whilst cooking. Pork I'll cook to 135 F - 140 F depending on the cut and source of the meat, but I'm squarely in the 118 F - 125 F for beef.

:fist: :thumb:
That 'source of the meat' bit is important. I buy meat from markets that source from 'green' purveyors, and who use non-factory methods of slaughter and processing. I also tend to buy larger cuts and break them down myself, which minimizes exposure to possible contaminants and allows me as the cook to be a bit freer with the temperatures to which I cook the products.
I agree with this 100% About 3 years ago I went to the local public market and purchased a chicken and yummy cow meat from a small local farm - pasture raise, no hormones, antibiotics, etc. One of the best food purchases of my life. Just plain tastes better, juicier, etc, plus safer. I have not looked back.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

I lift a lot...

I hardly ever buy beef... I settle for cheap sources of high quality protein... However when I want a steak I go to this butcher shop and get a strip steak that is grass fed and import'd from Chile... they actually aren't really expensive... 8 bucks for two 8oz
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Grilled chicken tonight to accompany the fransiskaner and I just kinda look at the chicken and know when it's done--it's piqued my interest to ascertain the temperature at which I removed it from the grill. I'm probably gonna buy a temp gauge now, so thanks for that...I guess :)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I specialize in low & slow, so I don't worry about temperature too often.
(And aside from a classic French roast chicken once or twice a year, I don't cook poultry otherwise.)
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

columbia wrote:I specialize in low & slow, so I don't worry about temperature too often.
(And aside from a classic French roast chicken once or twice a year, I don't cook poultry otherwise.)
But don't I remeber you saying you don't eat red meat? So what do you eat? Pork/fish??
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Hmmm...that wasn't me.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

okay thats going to bother the **** out of me... cuz I actually just went through your posts and no it wasn't... but I thought it was you that went like "Oh i heard americans eat too much red meat so I quit eating it"
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Godric wrote:So what do you eat? Pork/fish??
Mmmm... porkfish

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c ... ish-recipe
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Food day at work tomorrow. I can't figure out what dish to make, does anyone have any suggestions for an easy, inexpensive dish to make?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

cant go wrong with buffalo chicken dip
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

mac5155 wrote:cant go wrong with buffalo chicken dip

I've never made it. Is there a way to make it like real good?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Troy Loney wrote:Food day at work tomorrow. I can't figure out what dish to make, does anyone have any suggestions for an easy, inexpensive dish to make?
Make a dish of Rigatoni, can't get off much cheaper than that.

Personally, I'd bring in freshly made Gaucamole, but that's because my Gaucamole rocks.
:wink:
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Food day at work tomorrow. I can't figure out what dish to make, does anyone have any suggestions for an easy, inexpensive dish to make?
Make a dish of Rigatoni, can't get off much cheaper than that.

Personally, I'd bring in freshly made Gaucamole, but that's because my Gaucamole rocks.
:wink:

Hummus is usually my go to, but I'm out of tahini sauce and I don't think this food day is worth buying a new jar of it for. There's already a resident guacamole maker in the group and hers is good, I don't want to compete with that.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Troy Loney wrote:

It's pretty easy. I think its like 2 cans of chicken, some cream cheese, franks red hot.. my sister uses some ranch dressing in it too I think. The recipe is on the can of chicken and it is very easy to make. Its basically combine everything in a pot and cook.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Amazon had this set for $48.99 over the weekend:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My first foray into ceramic knives.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

mac5155 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

It's pretty easy. I think its like 2 cans of chicken, some cream cheese, franks red hot.. my sister uses some ranch dressing in it too I think. The recipe is on the can of chicken and it is very easy to make. Its basically combine everything in a pot and cook.
You can also add any type of shredded cheese you like, but if you are going to make sure to warm the dip when you serve it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Boar Burgers

1.0 with Fennel & Onion Compote with Shish-itos and Red Jalapenos, Queso Cabrales, Topped with a Fried Quail Egg

2.0 with Fennel-Onion-Tomato Compote Flavored with Ginger and Cardamom, Topped with Queso Manchego
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I need to be near a Costco again...they always had the best deals on manchego.