NHL Transactions and News - 2012 Offseason

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

NHL Transactions and News - 2012 Offseason

Post by mikey287 »

Figured we could use a thread to discuss some doings that have transpired that aren't necessarily worthy of their own thread...

- Tim Thomas is officially taking a break from hockey this year...no comment.

- Johnny Oduya is extended by the Blackhawks for 3 years at $3.375 million per year...terrible defenseman and he gets one of the worst contracts in the league right there, I guess with Bowman talent skips a generation...

- New York Rangers are interested in Alexander Radulov from Nashville. Reportedly, Radulov is close to returning to the KHL. Larry Brooks had the story.

- The Blues have been able to bring over former first round pick Vladimir Tarasenko from the KHL and signed him to an entry-level deal. Very skilled player, big injection of talent into the lineup for them.

- The Predators have signed Swedish forward Daniel Bång (pronounced "bong") from AIK to a one-year, $925,000 deal. André, any report on him? Besides the fact his last name is pronounced "bong" and he was born one day before 4/20...? I never took notice of him when watching Patrik Nemeth...
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: NHL Transactions and News - 2012 Offseason

Post by brwi »

I see Radulov going right back to the KHL. There was some kind of deal made where they let him out of his contract for a couple of months and no one seemingly knows the details of why/how, but I wouldn't be surprised if the main part was that he returned right back to his KHL's team.

Tim Thomas apparently needs a year off to prepare him and his family for the imminent apocalypse and End of Times that he thinks will happen soon.
Good thing the B's long ago realized what a headcase Thomas is and resisted trading Rask.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

How does Tim Thomas take a year off and expect to play the year after that as a starter at his age?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

The reports out of Boston are Thomas is doing this to either:

A. Force the Bruins to trade him.

or

B. Screw the Bruins because they wanted to trade him.

The Boston media seems to be as confused about his motives as he is.

I follow him on Facebook. Read his posts. His "sabbatical" post seemed initially legit and heartfelt. And then in the next to last paragraph, it turns into a commercial for G-Force and his personal trainers. It's like "WTF?" All sincerity flies out the window (at least to me) at that point.

Whatever his personal motives are, he is hurting the Bruins. They are stuck with a 5 mil salary cap hit. 4 mil can be relieved if they put Marc Savard on LTIR, which is what they might be forced to do.

Interesting note. Thomas and Rask have the same agent.

Thank goodness the Pens don't have a jerk like this playing for them. At least I hope not.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I had no idea that Savard wasn't already on LTIR.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Re: Thomas, it's about time people start realizing that he's a ****face...hopefully this is the last we see of him...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Tarasenko Passes up Lucrative 2-Year KHL Deal
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Tara ... r-KHL-Deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

The hot ones are always jerks, right lli?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

llipgh2 wrote:I follow him (Thomas) on Facebook. Read his posts. His "sabbatical" post seemed initially legit and heartfelt. And then in the next to last paragraph, it turns into a commercial for G-Force and his personal trainers. It's like "WTF?" All sincerity flies out the window (at least to me) at that point.
Yeah, that came off as a bit weird.

I'm not questioning his reasoning behind the sabbatical, but there's no reason to turn it into a commercial.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Malkamaniac wrote:How does Tim Thomas take a year off and expect to play the year after that as a starter at his age?

That was my first thought. He'll be 39 if he decides to try to play next season and will turn 40 late in the season. That's right about the end point for most goalies. Not to mention the Boston may not want him back if Rask has a good season. Not to mention the fact who's going to want to pick up the contract of a goalie who will turn 40 during the season and hasn't played in over a year. Stupid move on his part
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

JS© wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:I follow him (Thomas) on Facebook. Read his posts. His "sabbatical" post seemed initially legit and heartfelt. And then in the next to last paragraph, it turns into a commercial for G-Force and his personal trainers. It's like "WTF?" All sincerity flies out the window (at least to me) at that point.
Yeah, that came off as a bit weird.

He's a goalie, we're all a bit weird, we let people shoot a hard rubber disk at us for fun :pop:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Froggy wrote:The hot ones are always jerks, right lli?

8-)
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

Therrien is going to be coaching the Canadiens:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Montreal Canadiens have made their coaching decision. Its believed Michel Therrien is the man. Announcement in the next 24-48 hrs.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Get Carey Price in your fantasy leagues. With Andrei Markov back and FHCNCCOTMCMT (Former Head Coach, now current coach of the Montreal Canadiens Michel Therrien) in charge, I'd expect some good goalie stats, even if they're in losing efforts offensively sometimes...great for FHCNCCOTMCHMT!
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Congrats to FHCMT.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Could go in non-NHL transaction thread soon...but the Predators will attempt to trade Radulov's rights as they want nothing to do with him...negotiating with KHL teams, likely headed back there, but Poile would like to trade his rights...(Rangers for MZA? no idea of value)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

On Bang: Power forward, hard working. Good along the boards according to eliteprospects.com and as far as I know he's been valuable for AIK (I should've watched some 5+ games with him but can't recall any impression). Has gotten some games with the national team these past two years. Alot of players do, however, with all those useless mid season tournaments. Maybe he could be a good NHL third liner, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

mikey287 wrote:Could go in non-NHL transaction thread soon...but the Predators will attempt to trade Radulov's rights as they want nothing to do with him...negotiating with KHL teams, likely headed back there, but Poile would like to trade his rights...(Rangers for MZA? no idea of value)
MZA has signed with a KHL-team. Sounds like he got a clause for if getting a one way NHL-deal, which is what he's hoping for. He's been poorly managed by the Rangers.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Ah, so that's finally official...so scratch that then. Thanks for the info on Daniel Bång, I, too, didn't take much notice of him in limited viewing of AIK...
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Knuble won't be returning to the Caps. I'd give anything to go back four years to have Knuble.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Looks like Jagr is returning to Philly - 1 year. Deal done before draft.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Preds' Poile pretty emphatically bids adios to Radulov by trade or return to KHL and also not re-signing A. Kostitsyn. Obviously not loving them for getting themselves suspended whatsoever and the somewhat disappointing results from these two also:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=634019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Kovy27 wrote:Looks like Jagr is returning to Philly - 1 year. Deal done before draft.
I don't buy that. He will take the most expensive deal offered to him. No way he signs somewhere before July 1.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

David Jones re-signs with Colorado for 4 years.

In other words. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens Fan Since 1970 »

Kovy27 wrote:Looks like Jagr is returning to Philly - 1 year. Deal done before draft.
He obviously wants to be a part of the team that just so happens to have the best player in the world.