Non-Pens NHL Games Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: Non-Pens NHL Games Thread

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yeah, not only is this series completely one-sided, but there is absolutely zero hostility/tension. I'm not saying that there has to be goonery for people to watch, but for God's sake, show me something.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Series is going to get low ratings because of several factors:

a) long layoff before the Finals. Casual fans checking out of hockey-mode and into doing-something-else mode
b) Game 1 was a snooze-fest with two teams trying not to lose instead of win
c) Game 2 picked it up in the 3rd but the Kings winning in OT cut some of the potential drama down
d) Game 3 was very one-sided and killed any drama left
e) these aren't major hockey market teams so a lot of NHL fans already tuned-out a while ago
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Pens - Kings would've been fun. :(
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Rylan wrote:I am a Pens/Caps fan. I was a fan of the Pens my whole life and while growing up I watched a lot of Caps games when Bondra and company were rocking the DC area and I started to enjoy the Caps.
On the other hand, there are some combos of teams that are unacceptable to root for. THis is one of them.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Rylan wrote:I am a Pens/Caps fan. I was a fan of the Pens my whole life and while growing up I watched a lot of Caps games when Bondra and company were rocking the DC area and I started to enjoy the Caps.
i don't really understand this chain of events. objectively, the capitals were never really an interesting team. subjectively, they're dirty brown water trash, but in a vacuum there wasn't anything compelling about them either way until 07 or 08. it's a weird team to latch on to.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I pretty much enjoy when people call other people's fandom in question for liking two teams. Well yea I'm a Kings fan too, and when was the last time the Kings did anything meaningful to my favorite team the Pens? Haha nothing in a very very very very very very very long time.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Malkamaniac wrote:I pretty much enjoy when people call other people's fandom in question for liking two teams. Well yea I'm a Kings fan too, and when was the last time the Kings did anything meaningful to my favorite team the Pens? Haha nothing in a very very very very very very very long time.
I know someone that is a self-professed "huge" fan of both the Rangers and the Penguins...divisional rivals. Seriously?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, not only is this series completely one-sided, but there is absolutely zero hostility/tension. I'm not saying that there has to be goonery for people to watch, but for God's sake, show me something.
Yeah, the lack of hostility / tension has really contributed to this being a snooze-feast for someone with no rooting interest in the series. There seemed to be so much drama leading up to the cup, and then the finals end up being a dud so far.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, not only is this series completely one-sided, but there is absolutely zero hostility/tension. I'm not saying that there has to be goonery for people to watch, but for God's sake, show me something.
Yeah, the lack of hostility / tension has really contributed to this being a snooze-feast for someone with no rooting interest in the series. There seemed to be so much drama leading up to the cup, and then the finals end up being a dud so far.
Yeah. Last year, Boston just started to beat the snot out of Vancouver physically, which then lead to the goalie words of war in the press, etc. etc.

Honestly, I think a part of it to is, the Kings are up 3-0. There isn't really much to say right now. If the series was 2-1 and after tonight, 2-2, I think you'd start seeing more tension.

But as of right now, I think the kings right now have no pressure, and the Devils have such a huge hole to climb out, there just is not time for animosity right now
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

shmenguin wrote:
i don't really understand this chain of events. objectively, the capitals were never really an interesting team. subjectively, they're dirty brown water trash, but in a vacuum there wasn't anything compelling about them either way until 07 or 08. it's a weird team to latch on to.
I watched both teams equally growing up. Though when they met in the playoffs I cheered for the Pens. But I started watching the Caps in like '97 and was/am a HUGE fan of Bondra. We would get CSN and FSP so when the Pens weren't playing you would see me watching the Capitals play. And so I had 2 "local" stations that broadcasted 2 NHL teams. It was easy to like them as they weren't really a rival IMO.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I guess thats your age shining through. I can't remember a time when I didn't consider them a rival of the Penguins.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

They aren't the Rangers or Flyers to me. I consider the Capitals to be despised, but not hated and as such I don't mind them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

despise and hatred are synonyms. are you sure you didn't mean "held with contempt"? :pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I personally find despise to be less menacing than hatred. I rarely use both in sentence so this is a first where this issue has been brought to my attention :lol:

But sure, held with contempt sounds good.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I was joking as contempt is also a synonym. :pop:

Loathe would also be a synonym though that is the word I choose to truly escalate my level of dislike.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I think a lot of the attraction to last season's SCF was the US vs. Canada angle. It attracted all the casual viewers who only watch hockey when it's on the big stage, like the Olympics. And the 2010 gold medal game just happened to be US vs. Canada.

These people wanted the US to whup them Canucks n'at. Not realizing there are only 2 Americans on the Bruins. Well, 1 now...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Idoit40fans wrote:I was joking as contempt is also a synonym. :pop:

Loathe would also be a synonym though that is the word I choose to truly escalate my level of dislike.
lol I just have different interpretations of how these words sound in my head. Thus they are probably different from that of their actual definition.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

llipgh2 wrote:I think a lot of the attraction to last season's SCF was the US vs. Canada angle. It attracted all the casual viewers who only watch hockey when it's on the big stage, like the Olympics. And the 2010 gold medal game just happened to be US vs. Canada.

These people wanted the US to whup them Canucks n'at. Not realizing there are only 2 Americans on the Bruins. Well, 1 now...
It also went 7 games. Brings a lot more intrigue when it's close.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Just hit me that the Stanley Cup hasnt been won by the home team in 5 years.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Just hit me that the Stanley Cup hasnt been won by the home team in 5 years.
I think the Kings lose tonight and win it in Game 5. So it will be 6 years.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Is this one of the worst cup finals in recent memory?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Pavel Bure wrote:Is this one of the worst cup finals in recent memory?
Depends on what kind of game you like to watch I guess.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Doc made a big deal about an American captain possibly accepting the Cup tonight. Just realized that regardless of who wins this series, an American captain will accept.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

quick is really good at making routine glove saves look OMG AWESOME