2012-13 non-NHL transaction thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

2012-13 non-NHL transaction thread

Post by JS© »

Mats Zuccarello (formerly of NYR) signs a two year contract with Metallurg Magnitogorsk
http://translate.google.se/translate?sl ... 2F72990%2F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

former Red Wings/Thrasher goalie Norm Maracle has retired
http://translate.google.se/translate?hl ... c4d2f0680d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2012-13 non-NHL transaction thread

Post by mikey287 »

The Zuccarello transaction is not confirmed, as per MZA himself...
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

If you're a fringe NHLer, is there any negative to signing with a KHL team? (Aside from leaving your friends/family behind?). They're hurting for players and paying a lot of money (comparatively). Worst case scenario: you leave North America, make at least 1.5X what you would here, and return when you've gotten some experience. Even if you don't make another NHL roster, you've still accrued some money and gotten some experience.

If the KHL were smart, it would re-configure itself into an NHL feeder program, lose the big $ contracts, and have average attendance for all teams just based upon name recognition alone. One or two (previous) big names alone would float an organization.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Well, hurting for players isn't exactly true. So much so that they impose limits on how many foreign players can be a roster. They pay a good deal of money for some players, but an average NHLer makes far more than an average KHLer of course, so it depends on what you bring to the table. MZA, for instance, probably is a better fit for the KHL than the NHL because of his size. Re-entry waivers create a de facto cap on AHL salaries, which limits a player like MZA's earning capability.

Why would the KHL become a subservient minor league program to the NHL? How does that benefit them? Their respective organizations? Their national teams? Their youth development?

Attendance isn't really a matter of "big names" it's a matter of marketing really - the product needs to get some established teams and then continue to expand. It has a better shot of being Europe's super league than it does being a "feeder" for the NHL, which is strange sentiment...
Odd Man Rush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Odd Man Rush »

I thought that the original intent of the KHL was to form a European equivalent of the NHL? It was my understanding that they were going to partner with the super leagues in Sweden, Finland, Slovakia, Germany, the Czech Republic and Switzerland to form a legitimate competitor to the NHL. As it is, that will never happen because there are way too many small market teams that are still there. Also, some of the major cities have five or six teams. That's really a bad model.

Another thing they could do is not necessarily have a league together but they could play a champions tournament like they do in European soccer. That would be very cool, IMHO and I would definitely watch that.

It would be very cool watching say MoDo of the Swedish Elite League play Dynamo of the KHL in a winner-takes-all type of tournament.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yes, it is supposed to be an NHL competitor so to speak - except... in Europe. It's the top league over there, the NHL is top league over here. Partner with the other big leagues? I should think not. The Elitserien certainly would not welcome its advances as it survives just fine on its own. It doesn't need to combine with all those other leagues (that's 100+ teams!).

What major cities have 6 top level teams? I know Moscow has 3 teams (all historic teams that go back to World War II or thereabouts) but other than that, I can't think of a city with as many or more...

While Moscow would be better served with only 2 teams probably, it doesn't disrupt the whole model nor is it 6 teams.

The European Trophy already exists, it's in its fledgling stages, but it's growing. But yes, that would be cool and is probably in the not-too-distant future in some regards...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Rangers fast at work after M Gaborik's injury.
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Rangers have contacted Nashville regarding Radulov, Post has learned. http://nyp.st/N7O22v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

- Jean-Sebastien Aubin signed in the Italian League.

- Teemu Laakso has left the Nashville organization for Severstal (KHL).
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... 8uq2FIppYJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

God speed Tim Thomas.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Timmy likes being in the news, doesn't he?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

"At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F's.

"Friends, Family, and Faith.
The three F's? What a ****. I hope he never comes back
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Thomas seems like a real weirdo. And that's putting it politely.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I have no problem with what he's doing. None of us know his family situation, and at least he's giving an advance notice instead of announcing this in mid-august or later.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

JS© wrote:I have no problem with what he's doing. None of us know his family situation, and at least he's giving an advance notice instead of announcing this in mid-august or later.
Maybe that's because there could be real news in August and nobody would care or listen.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

JS© wrote:I have no problem with what he's doing. None of us know his family situation, and at least he's giving an advance notice instead of announcing this in mid-august or later.

There's nothing wrong with what he's doing, but he certainly doesn't have to pretend he's some righteous saint for doing it.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Troy Loney wrote:
There's nothing wrong with what he's doing, but he certainly doesn't have to pretend he's some righteous saint for doing it.
You must have regular exposure to him to know that he's pretending to be some righteous saint. ;)

I don't know him anymore than I know 99% of the people on this board. If he says that he's taking a sabbatical for family reasons, should I question that? Neither one of us know his situation in real life. Not saying that you can't disagree with him for doing it, but I don't see him doing this for attention. If he wanted to do it for attention, I can think of several dates that would work out better for him: the day after the Stanley Cup is won, the first day of the draft, or anytime between June 30-July 2.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Sami Lepisto and Curtis Sanford are off to the KHL. It's a shame, I've always liked Lepisto, thought he could hack it in this league. But more security and money in the KHL for him, makes sense career-wise.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Erik Christensen is off to HC Lev Praha (Czech team in KHL)...good luck in all of your European shootouts!
Last edited by mikey287 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

JS© wrote:
I don't know him anymore than I know 99% of the people on this board. If he says that he's taking a sabbatical for family reasons, should I question that? Neither one of us know his situation in real life. Not saying that you can't disagree with him for doing it, but I don't see him doing this for attention. If he wanted to do it for attention, I can think of several dates that would work out better for him: the day after the Stanley Cup is won, the first day of the draft, or anytime between June 30-July 2.
I'll definitely question what his real motivation is. Thomas' NMC expires July 1st and it's not been a secret that Boston was planning to trade him. By "taking a year off" that wouldn't give the B's any salary cap relief, Thomas is suddenly using what little leverage he has to likely try and negotiate which teams he'll settle for being traded to. If the B's ignore that, he just sits for a year and lets Boston take the cap hit.

I guess you can say this DOES have something to do with "family" as he's either sitting out a year and seeing a lot more of them than usual or will be playing in a different city.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

brwi wrote:
JS© wrote:
I'll definitely question what his real motivation is. Thomas' NMC expires July 1st and it's not been a secret that Boston was planning to trade him. By "taking a year off" that wouldn't give the B's any salary cap relief, Thomas is suddenly using what little leverage he has to likely try and negotiate which teams he'll settle for being traded to. If the B's ignore that, he just sits for a year and lets Boston take the cap hit.

I guess you can say this DOES have something to do with "family" as he's either sitting out a year and seeing a lot more of them than usual or will be playing in a different city.
Taking a year off when you are 38 doesn't seem to be the smartest decision. But then again, what do I know?
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

mikey287 wrote:Erik Christensen is off to HC Lev Praha (Czech League)...good luck in all of your European shootouts!
Actually, HC Lev Prague is NOT in the Czech League. It is an expansion KHL team. KHL really goes for European dominance. This year, they will add one team from Ukraine, HC Slovan Bratislava (Slovakia) and HC Lev Prague. Next year, they are already negotiating (allegedly) with Austria and Italy. Plus, they are apparently constantly looking at Sweden and Finland...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Ah, that's right, I forgot the KHL delved into the Czech Republic...good call.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Penguins favorite Trevor Gillies to Vityaz Chekhov (KHL):
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-khl ... llies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Tomas wrote:Penguins favorite Trevor Gillies to Vityaz Chekhov (KHL):
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-khl ... llies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube][/youtube]
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Shaone Morrisonn, after being waived by Buffalo and sent down last season, has signed a one-year deal with Spartak (KHL).