Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by TheHammer24 »

TPIR Highlights:

lololollolol fail
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Here's the bidding fails I talked about:
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Amazing FFWD to 4:50. Won't spoil it for you:
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Girl wins $1,000,000
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

good stuff all around hammer. i don't think i've ever seen someone win a million in a more fun way. to go from hah, i have a chance to win a million bucks on this game, that's cool. and then it happens thirty seconds later. i think it would take me spending some of it before i really believed it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

count2infinity wrote:
wallflower wrote: For example: I already don't care about shad's opinions on the Penguins, why would I care what he thinks about the Pirates? :pop:
glad i'm not the only one...
Hey WF, it's ok, I will make sure you never get invited to the super-secret Pirates discussion forum.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Not irrational at all, but...

Our family has 2 vehicles, a 2010 F150 that I drive, and a 2011 Hyundai Sonata for my wife. If I have to run to the store in the evenings, I often take the Sonata for obvious reasons (MUCH better on gas). Lately, my wife has been giving me crap about "we always take her car everywhere." First off, they are both "our" vehicles. Not my problem you wont drive the truck. I tell her time and time again that it is cheaper to take her car places than my truck, so unless we need the space, economically, it makes sense to use the car. She does not understand this concept at all, and it infuriates me.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Not irrational at all, but...

Our family has 2 vehicles, a 2010 F150 that I drive, and a 2011 Hyundai Sonata for my wife. If I have to run to the store in the evenings, I often take the Sonata for obvious reasons (MUCH better on gas). Lately, my wife has been giving me crap about "we always take her car everywhere." First off, they are both "our" vehicles. Not my problem you wont drive the truck. I tell her time and time again that it is cheaper to take her car places than my truck, so unless we need the space, economically, it makes sense to use the car. She does not understand this concept at all, and it infuriates me.
My commute to work is about 15 miles each way, through Philly traffic. My wife's place of employment is directly down the hill from our place...you could get on a bike and not touch the pedals once. Any time we do anything outside of work, we use her car.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

shafnutz05 wrote:

My commute to work is about 15 miles each way, through Philly traffic. My wife's place of employment is directly down the hill from our place...you could get on a bike and not touch the pedals once. Any time we do anything outside of work, we use her car.
That's the kicker, my commute is 20 miles longer round trip each day than hers is. Why wouldnt we use her car on the weekends? It makes too much sense.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

That's the kicker, my commute is 20 miles longer round trip each day than hers is. Why wouldnt we use her car on the weekends? It makes too much sense.
A wife who doesn't "get it" - wow. You don't say? ;)

I was going to start a thread about whether or not marriage was "worth it", but I figured I'd just come off as bitter...
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

shafnutz05 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
wallflower wrote: For example: I already don't care about shad's opinions on the Penguins, why would I care what he thinks about the Pirates? :pop:
Hey WF, it's ok, I will make sure you never get invited to the super-secret Pirates discussion forum.
lol... that's your trump card?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

My wife rides the bus during the week. She can't drive stick(my wrangler is) so I make her drive her car on the weekends and everywhere we go.

I drive about 10-11 miles a day.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Froggy wrote:lol... that's your trump card?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Co-workers who insist on talking (read ranting) about politics at lunch.

In that same vein, people who watch/listen to shows with conflicting views to your own then ranting about them.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

There's been a ban on talking about Politics where I work since I started. It doesn't stop the boss from listening to 104.7 and spouting nonsense to anyone who will listen.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

TheHammer24 wrote:TPIR Highlights:

Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
I read about this one once. There are people who attend TPIR tapings all of the time and get very good at remembering the prices of showcase items. They use some of the same prizes over again in different combinations, so you can actually figure them out of you pay enough attention. It’s sort of like counting cards. One of those people was in the audience and was yelling the bid at that guy, who decided to follow the advice. Hit it on the nose. Drew Carey wasn’t surprised at the end because they actually stopped taping for more than an hour and investigated whether the man on stage was working with the person in the audience. That’s why he wasn’t all that excited at the outcome.

Addendum: Sweet, Esquire did an article on this. See here: http://www.esquire.com/features/impossi ... t-bid-0810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Shyster wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:TPIR Highlights:

Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
I read about this one once. There are people who attend TPIR tapings all of the time and get very good at remembering the prices of showcase items. They use some of the same prizes over again in different combinations, so you can actually figure them out of you pay enough attention. It’s sort of like counting cards. One of those people was in the audience and was yelling the bid at that guy, who decided to follow the advice. Hit it on the nose. Drew Carey wasn’t surprised at the end because they actually stopped taping for more than an hour and investigated whether the man on stage was working with the person in the audience. That’s why he wasn’t all that excited at the outcome.

Addendum: Sweet, Esquire did an article on this. See here: http://www.esquire.com/features/impossi ... t-bid-0810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the explanation at the end of the youtube was written by a series of chimps typing at various keyboards. thanks for clearing it up
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

shafnutz05 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
My heart is broken. :cry:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Every holiday, there are half a million posts from people feeling the need to remind everyone what the holiday is actually about. It's at the point where I hate these more than any perceived ignorance towards said holidays.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by jprolley »

the wicked child wrote:Every holiday, there are half a million posts from people feeling the need to remind everyone what the holiday is actually about. It's at the point where I hate these more than any perceived ignorance towards said holidays.
THIS. I'm all for remembering our soldiers and everything, but I got pretty sick of seeing pictures on Facebook of crying people near graves with the caption "in case you thought it was national BBQ day"
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

jprolley wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Every holiday, there are half a million posts from people feeling the need to remind everyone what the holiday is actually about. It's at the point where I hate these more than any perceived ignorance towards said holidays.
THIS. I'm all for remembering our soldiers and everything, but I got pretty sick of seeing pictures on Facebook of crying people near graves with the caption "in case you thought it was national BBQ day"
I had one guy on my Facebook who posted at least 4 variations of that pic. Here's the funny part: he was booted out of the Marines as a deserter. Dude gets patriotic as **** during these holidays, but doesn't tell anybody about being discharged less than a year after signing his enlistment.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

A list.

1) People who pull into a gas station to fill up, but park in the middle of two pumps. I pulled into a gas station Saturday, pulled in behind a woman as far as I could, got out and checked to see that the hose was not long enough, so as I'm getting into my car to pull around to the other side, I notice the lady on the other side is slowly BACKING UP her car, as I pull around, my worst nightmare is revealed, she has backed up to use the pump I wanted to pull into, and worse yet, she's also just about pulled in between the two pumps. I swing back around the other way to wait, she notices I am not pleased, apologizes and says "I'll be a moment, sorry". Seriously... #womencantdrive #firstworldproblems.

2) Slow walkers. (I'm talking like really slow).

3) Baseball managers who pull their starter after 8 innings of shut out baseball. Just 103 pitches and putting down the last 12 batters is not enough I guess to finish out that complete game shut out. I think they do this on purpose, hopefully the reliever gives up enough runs so they can "put the closer in" to get his save, as if managers are somehow rated by how many times they bring in their closer.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I can't believe how many people don't grasp the concept of the escalator. They're meant to make you go faster, not to just stand there and slowly ascend and descend to your location. C'mon people, walking is not a dreadful strain on the body, as a species we've been formed to walk efficiently.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Troy Loney wrote:as a species we've been formed to walk efficiently.
Except most people don't understand that, and not just in your scenario.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by jprolley »

People who say "look it up" if you ask how something is spelled. How the eff do I look something up I don't know how to spell?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

jprolley wrote:People who say "look it up" if you ask how something is spelled. How the eff do I look something up I don't know how to spell?

If I'm unsure of the spelling i start typing the word into google....so I'd say google it if someone asked me to spell a word and I wasn't sure.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Troy Loney wrote:I can't believe how many people don't grasp the concept of the escalator. They're meant to make you go faster, not to just stand there and slowly ascend and descend to your location. C'mon people, walking is not a dreadful strain on the body, as a species we've been formed to walk efficiently.
Not just escalators, moving walkways (especially at airports).

The best part is that the people who generally are the ones who are the worst offenders (parking huge bags beside them and blocking the entire pathway) are the same ones who really ought to be walking the distance without the assistance of a "moving walkway"
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

I was making a beeline across a terminal in Copenhagen and almost trucked a 40 something-Euro trash [talbot] taking up the entire walkway with his 3 suitcases. Move, dude. I've got a 70 liter backpack and a near running start, so you can guarantee I'm not sidestepping you.