GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by the wicked child »

When it comes to Troegs, I'm all about the Dreamweaver and Troegenator. Sunshine Pils is decent though.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

My all time favorite Troegs is their Nugget Nectar. It's by far their best brew. The pale ale is actually quite enjoyable. It reminds me of a beer i've had before but can't recall where or what. Part of me thinks it's the pale ale they brew at rock bottom (gf used to work there).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Tried 3 new beers at the Penn Brewery last night. Alt er Ego, Kolsch and ESB.

The Alt was my favorite. I've only had one other alt beer, Stickenjab. This had the underlying flavor of that, but with a tenth of the maltiness.

The other 2 were ok, but somewhat nondescript.

Taking the youngest sister to Sharpedge for the first time since she turned 21 tonight... Time for some Belgian education.

Wf and corv will be there as well :scared:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

the wicked child wrote:Tried 3 new beers at the Penn Brewery last night. Alt er Ego, Kolsch and ESB.

The Alt was my favorite. I've only had one other alt beer, Stickenjab. This had the underlying flavor of that, but with a tenth of the maltiness.

Taking the youngest sister to Sharpedge for the first time since she turned 21 tonight... Time for some Belgian education.

You have a designated driver, right?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

llipgh2 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Tried 3 new beers at the Penn Brewery last night. Alt er Ego, Kolsch and ESB.

You have a designated driver, right?
:pop: wf
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Mission accomplished. However, there has been a tragedy... They no longer have the Hopdevil soup... Just loaded beer cheese soup that was meh. I am a sad panda. :(

I tried the Ename trippel. Not as good as Golden Monkey, but good.

Had the sis get the Belgian sampler w Chimay, Augustjin, Witterkerke Rose and Lindeman's Franboise.

She liked them in ascending order.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Tried three new sours this weekend.
Cuvee des Jacobins (Bockor)
Bellegum Bruin (Bockor)
Cascade Kreik (2009)

The Jacobins and Cascade Kreik were tremendous. The Cascade can't really be located around here but if you happen to ever see it, be sure to try it. Very sour. Jacobins you can get at house of 1000 beers. excellent.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Eismann wrote:Was at Fraunces tavern in downtown NYC this week. Really great place, full of history. Oldest building in the city, Washington bade his troops farewell there. Had the Southern Tier 2X stout and Green Flash double stout, both quite excellent.

Going with a Wrasslers stout now and the MCA tribute later, mixing the Bass Ale with the Guinness Stout (/yearandaday).
Are you freak'n kidding me? You were in NYC and didn't tell me? LMFAO. please folks, if you come into my 'hood' please let me know, and I'll buy you a beer. ;)
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Mon May 28, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Victory Summer Love is a great, easy-drinking beer. Also picked up a Sam Adams Summer variety pack today.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Kraftster wrote:Tried three new sours this weekend.
Cuvee des Jacobins (Bockor)
Bellegum Bruin (Bockor)
Cascade Kreik (2009)

The Jacobins and Cascade Kreik were tremendous. The Cascade can't really be located around here but if you happen to ever see it, be sure to try it. Very sour. Jacobins you can get at house of 1000 beers. excellent.
Nice. I had the Jacobins a couple weeks ago and also really liked it. I had had my Supplication the night before, so I wasn't as blown away by the Jacobins as I otherwise might have been, but I still found it to be very, very good.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Got a mixed 12 of Lake Placid brewery and a mixed 12 of Rock Art (Vermont beer). Had the Ubu of the Lake Placid. Good, just not a summer beer as it's very malty. So far had the red ale and the IPA from the Rock Art. Both excellent.

Shaf, you'll have to tell me what you think of the Sam Adams summer. Picked that up a month or so ago and wasn't too pleased with it. I've liked it in previous years, but something just seemed off this time.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Blue Point Brewery's "Hoptical Illusion"... Real nice brew.

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Big Black Voodoo Daddy. Great dark malts, including a House Smoked Malt that gives it a bit of a schwarzbier taste. Nice product.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout. A go-to fave nowadays.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

A few options tonight.

My first La Fin du Monde. Very tasty. Certainly doesn't taste like a 9% beer.

Reminds me of this:

[youtube][/youtube]

Coronado Orange Avenue Wit. Not impressed. A bit bitter, I think.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

eddysnake wrote:Tried a Celis White the other day, it was mighty tasty.
Had one of these tonight as well. Not as good as I remember it. I can't put my finger on it, but it definitely left something to be desired.

I honestly think that my favorite beer is Franziskaner. I know that that sounds a bit "commercial" (I guess), but I don't enjoy any other beer as much as this one. Great taste, good price point, and it's pretty drinkable no matter the weather/occasion.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Had a one of my favorites tonight Weltenburger Kloster Asam-Bock. They had the Dunkel by then too, but none were cold.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

tjand72 wrote:
My first La Fin du Monde.
Mmm.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Kraftster wrote:
tjand72 wrote:
My first La Fin du Monde.
Mmm.
Your comment made me uncomfortable for some reason. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I've mentioned this before, but I'm playing "battle of the IPA's" - im trying to find an IPA to dethrone the reigning champion (Dogfish head IPA 60) last night it was a sixpack of Southrrn Tier 2xIPA. Great beer, it came close, in fact i think ive found my second favorite IPA, but Dogfish head IPA 60 is still king - Long live the King)
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

ExPatriatePen wrote:I've mentioned this before, but I'm playing "battle of the IPA's" - im trying to find an IPA to dethrone the reigning champion (Dogfish head IPA 60) last night it was a sixpack of Southrrn Tier 2xIPA. Great beer, it came close, in fact i think ive found my second favorite IPA, but Dogfish head IPA 60 is still king - Long live the King)
Six Point Hop Obama :pop:

Can you say some of the ones that you've tried that fell short?

Here are some of my favorite IPA's

Bells Hop Slam and Two Hearted Ale
East End Big Hop
Stoudts Smooth Hoperator
Victory Hop Wallop
and the Voodoo IPA (I forget what they call it)

Also, had my first Unibrou Ephemere in a couple years....I don't care for wheat style beers, but that beer is so delicious.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Fathead's Headhunter. Far and away my favorite IPA. I really think there are two different branches of IPA. West Coast (very very hoppy, citrusy, etc) and the rest (much more tame, but still that IPA taste). Personally I prefer the West Coast style and Fathead's Headhunter is the king of West Coast style IPA.

edit: another good West Coast style IPA is Stone's Arrogant Bastard.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

count2infinity wrote:Fathead's Headhunter. Far and away my favorite IPA. I really think there are two different branches of IPA. West Coast (very very hoppy, citrusy, etc) and the rest (much more tame, but still that IPA taste). Personally I prefer the West Coast style and Fathead's Headhunter is the king of West Coast style IPA.

Fatheads as in the bar in the southside?

I did the Sharp Edge happy hour last friday and tried the Piraat Belgian IPA and the Over the Edge, the sharp edge belgian IPA. Both had a ton of bite, i'll get the Over the Edge again, but i doubt I'll drink Piraat again, it was too much.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Troy Loney wrote: Fatheads as in the bar in the southside?
That's the one. They have a brewery that they brew their own stuff just outside of Cleveland. I've been there a few times and the food is worse, but the beer is better than the one in the southside. The Headhunter IPA actually won the 2012 National IPA Championship (http://brackets.brewingnews.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=418946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Drank 3 of the 4 beers from the Ithaca variety pack over the weekend. My initial thoughts on the Apricot Wheat were meh. It has a slight apricot taste to it, but seemed pretty unremarkable otherwise. The Nut Brown had a bit too much of a coffee-like taste for my liking, probably from the roasted nut flavor. And the Groundbreak... which I still <3 no matter what K-daddy says. Need to find a case of that. Still need to try the Pale Ale.

Completely unrelated, but just purchased a ticket for the Millvale Brewfest. Haven't been to a brewfest for a few years now, so looking forward to it... it's the day after my b-day so it's looking like a fun weekend.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Lavery Belfast Black Ale...did not like. Way too aggressive of a smoky flavor.

Victory Baltic Thunder porter....awesome