George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by Easton »

I've stayed away from the TV series, because I have only read the first two books. Will I encounter any spoilers for the future books if I watch the first 2 seasons? I haven't read any of this thread, so that may have already been answered.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

So far I believe everything has been from the first 2 books. It's possible that they could touch on some of book 3 at the end of this season though.

Certainly you can watch Season 1 though... it's pretty much all from book 1 except that they included the first Arya chapter from Book 2 in the last episode, and one other scene in the finale was part of a chapter in book 2.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

What they are adding isn't in any of the books but the main stroyline is following Clash of Kings.

End of CoK spoilers
Spoiler:
I highly doubt they will go past the end of the large battle of Blackwater Bay. Can't think of a better cliffhanger than when Tyrion gets attacked. That would make a very good end of Season 2.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

DelPen wrote:What they are adding isn't in any of the books but the main stroyline is following Clash of Kings.

End of CoK spoilers
Spoiler:
I highly doubt they will go past the end of the large battle of Blackwater Bay. Can't think of a better cliffhanger than when Tyrion gets attacked. That would make a very good end of Season 2.
Spoiler:
Yep, that's where Martin has said it ends.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah I think I read that the 3rd season will be basically the first half of book 3.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Here is how season 2 ends, descriptions of last 3 episodes, I just copied and pasted, didn't read, don't know why I didn't, I guess I've read the books...
Spoiler:
Episode #18: “The Prince of Winterfell”
Debut: SUNDAY, MAY 20
At Winterfell, Theon receives a visitor and holds down the fort. Arya calls in her final debt with Jaqen (Tom Wlaschiha) in a way that displeases him. Robb is betrayed. Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) and Varys (Conleth Hill) find common ground. Dany ignores Jorah's (Iain Glen) advice. Stannis (Stephen Dillane) and Davos (Liam Cunningham) approach their destination, and Davos is offered a reward. Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.

Episode #19: “Blackwater”
Debut: SUNDAY, MAY 27
Tyrion and the Lannisters fight for their lives as Stannis’ fleet assaults King’s Landing. Written by George R.R. Martin; directed by Neil Marshall.

Episode #20: “Valar Morghulis” (season finale)
Debut: SUNDAY, JUNE 3
As Theon (Alfie Allen) stirs his men to action, Luwin (Donald Sumpter) offers some final advice. Brienne (Gwendolyn Christie) silences Jaime; Arya (Maisie Williams) receives a gift from Jaqen (Tom Wlaschiha); Dany (Emilia Clarke) goes to a strange place; and Jon (Kit Harington) proves himself to Qhorin (Simon Armstrong). Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

that's pretty awesome that Neil Marshall (dog soldiers, the descent) is directing one of the remaining episodes
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Came across this today, thought I'd share haha.

(Yes that is Arya)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Ok, so last week they said "two episodes left" in the previews... this week, they also said two weeks left. :lol:

Anyway, really looking forward to the next episode... should be pretty awesome.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Also a comment about tonight's episode
Spoiler:
I'm surprised that they revealed that Bran and Rickon were still alive so soon. IMO, they should have let the doubt hang for another episode or so for full effect.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I'm still enjoying watching the show, but this season has been pretty boring which I'm a little surprised about because the book was so good. I think I've finally come to my senses and realized that while I really liked the first 3 books, they really do drag on and the carryover to screen isn't helping. It took my about a year to read the 4th book and I'm approaching a year on the 5th (only half way through, no real desire to pick it back up). Maybe it's just me, but by the time they get to those books on HBO, I think there could be some serious issues showing how dull the books can get.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

the wicked child wrote:Also a comment about tonight's episode
Spoiler:
I'm surprised that they revealed that Bran and Rickon were still alive so soon. IMO, they should have let the doubt hang for another episode or so for full effect.
Spoiler:
Did anyone really think they were dead?
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It wouldn't be surprising seeing that people who are considered main characters die quite often
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Again, I'll preface this by saying that I haven't read the books, but...
Spoiler:
I didn't buy the release of Jaime by Catelyn. Even if she is worried about her daughters, she seems too savvy and sensible to just send him back with no firm plan for a prisoner exchange or anything. This seemed (along with the Theon betrayal) a poorly motivated plot line that just stems from Martin's desire to complicate the situation. Things would be plenty complicated even without these things happening.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I might have missed something, but in last nights episode
Spoiler:
they found the dragonglass buried in the snow, but why the hell were they digging in the snow? It seemed a little odd with no explanation they were randomly digging on the top of a mt
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

stopper40 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It wouldn't be surprising seeing that people who are considered main characters die quite often
Spoiler:
went way too far out of their way to disguise it. No identifiable characteristics other. At no point did I consider it a possibility. Especially since we know that Bran wasn't going to let them stay at that farm. It was clearly stated.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

eddysnake wrote:I might have missed something, but in last nights episode
Spoiler:
they found the dragonglass buried in the snow, but why the hell were they digging in the snow? It seemed a little odd with no explanation they were randomly digging on the top of a mt
Spoiler:
It was mentioned that they were digging latrine pits.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Willie Kool wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
very good, thanks
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

eddysnake wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
very good, thanks

Thanks, I was wondering why too, since I was playing Diablo 3 and wasn't playing close attention
Last edited by stopper40 on Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

largegarlic wrote:Again, I'll preface this by saying that I haven't read the books, but...
Spoiler:
I didn't buy the release of Jaime by Catelyn. Even if she is worried about her daughters, she seems too savvy and sensible to just send him back with no firm plan for a prisoner exchange or anything. This seemed (along with the Theon betrayal) a poorly motivated plot line that just stems from Martin's desire to complicate the situation. Things would be plenty complicated even without these things happening.
Spoiler:
I believe in the books, she did this after learning that Bran and Rickon were dead. She kinda flew off the handle because she wanted her daughters back. Not sure why they changed that.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

The changes to Arya's story disappoints me.

Again, the new Mountain is not good. He's actually swimming in his own armor.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Spangler wrote:The changes to Arya's story disappoints me.

Again, the new Mountain is not good. He's actually swimming in his own armor.
he does have a cool voice.

I think I've figured out that even though they have the bigger budget, sets, cast, crew, they haven't told the story as well as they did in season 1. Everything is here, I'm just not being emotionally drawn into as much as the first season, anyone else feeling this?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

This season seriously blows.

Does Theon know about the Stark boys? I'm confused about that plot point.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Admin wrote:This season seriously blows.

Does Theon know about the Stark boys? I'm confused about that plot point.
I do believe they want you to wait and see. Have you been watching the 2nd season of Sherlock this year? Looking forward to seeing the episode from last night. Liked the 1st better than the 2nd, kind of like last season
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Sherlock is awesome! Three episode seasons, though, are weak. We will probably watch the "season finale" tonight.