Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by PghSkins »

Fat Drew Carey >>>>>>>>> Less Fat Drew Carey
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

PghSkins wrote:Fat Drew Carey >>>>>>>>> Less Fat Drew Carey
I agree. I look at Drew Carey now and I wish he was fat again.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Froggy wrote:
Staggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:price is right rules

if you're guessing numbers in any context, you should be able to go over and still win your bet
Nothing pisses me off more than when all the people make ridiculously high guesses, the next to last guy says $1, and then some old grandma says $2. You know he just wants to lean over and cold cock her.
My peeve in this instance is someone bidding $1 that didn't have the last bid. That's not how it works.

I find myself getting very upset at poor price is right strategy.
I get mad at people that are the last bidder, and they don't bid $1 if they are going to bid lower than the other 3 bids.

For example:

Bidder 1 = $700
Bidder 2 = $650
Bidder 3 = $800

Now if Bidder 4 says $500, it angers me so much. Just say $1. It protects you from over bidding and gives you the range of $1-650. I've seen numerous people do the above and everyone overbid.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

This lil Wayne mountain dew radio ad. Makes me want to run onto a playground and start slapping other people's kids.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

to be clear - i'm not so annoyed with the price is right. i'm annoyed when people apply the price is right rule to other number-related trivia.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

shmenguin wrote:to be clear - i'm not so annoyed with the price is right. i'm annoyed when people apply the price is right rule to other number-related trivia.
Like Guess how many girls I have slept with and you would be like 1 and I'd be like HA you went over you loser......wait....
Spoiler:
:scared:
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Guy I work with always puts in his out of office email "Please leave a message."

Uhhh... if I hadn't left you a message already, I would not have gotten your out of office email......
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Chipolte should offer delivery.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

I hate that facebook has started showing posts that your friends make on groups you're not a member of & other people's walls that you don't know.

For example: I already don't care about shad's opinions on the Penguins, why would I care what he thinks about the Pirates? :pop:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

wallflower wrote: For example: I already don't care about shad's opinions on the Penguins, why would I care what he thinks about the Pirates? :pop:
glad i'm not the only one...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

wallflower wrote:I hate that facebook has started showing posts that your friends make on groups you're not a member of & other people's walls that you don't know.

For example: I already don't care about shad's opinions on the Penguins, why would I care what he thinks about the Pirates? :pop:
Probably one of the best posts I've ever read on lgp
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:I also don't like that I found out a few years ago that they don't pick people at random. They interview people while in line. Thy just makes me watch some complete overhyper idiot in like a plain blue tshirt, not even trying to make an effort to be picked and I have to wonder why the hell they chose this doofus.
The show tapes at the CBS studios at 7800 Beverly Blvd at Fairfax Ave. Many non-CBS shows tape there, too, but TPIR has been there forever. I used to live about half a mile from there and was walking home from a party one night. Was about 3:30 or 4 am as I recall, and there were about 60-70 people camping on the sidewalk on Fairfax so they could be the first ones in for TPIR.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

wallflower wrote:I hate that facebook has started showing posts that your friends make on groups you're not a member of & other people's walls that you don't know.

shad makes for great entertainment during Stiller games. :pop:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I didnt want to clog up the Gym/Exercise thread with my gripes but all the hipster college kids are back and taking over my gym. Every one of these iditos wants to make a fashion statement at the gym. I saw four...FOUR pairs of those Clark Kent glasses that NBA players are now wearing. I guarantee these guys don't need glasses and to wear them while lifting weights is just ridiculous. Theyre also the guys that workout in groups of 4 or 6 and you have to climb around these doofuses to get to a machine cuz theyre all huddled around the same one or blocking the track. Theres this one kid there who I'd swear gets designer sleveless workout tees made. I hate these goofballs. :evil:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

People who work out in large groups like that bother me. Usually because they block off equipment they aren't even using. They'll even sit down on benches or machines just to hang out.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

People in the back of airplanes who jump up when the "fasten seat belt sign" is turned off and grab their carry-on bags out of the overheads trying to force their way to the front.

You're not getting off until the people in front of you do, sit down.

The worst thing is that these are the same people who have checked bags and spend the next half of an hour standing around the baggage carousel waiting for their bags anyway. :face:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

ExPatriatePen wrote:People in the back of airplanes who jump up when the "fasten seat belt sign" is turned off and grab their carry-on bags out of the overheads trying to force their way to the front.

The worst thing is that these are the same people who have checked bags and spend the next half of an hour standing around the baggage carousel waiting for their bags anyway. :face:
Forcing your way up front is dbaggery however I'd rather be at baggage claim minding my own business than having to observe the dbaggery on the plane
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by 71Aj66ax87 »

Is there such thing as a rational pet peeve?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

71Aj66ax87 wrote:Is there such thing as a rational pet peeve?
I'd say so. Something could completely irk one person while another person doesn't even bat an eye. Doesn't make it irrational. ...I had myself prepared for examples when I hit reply, now I got nothin... :oops: Good Day to you.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

when the fasten seat belt sign goes off, i swivel my body so my extra long legs stick out into the aisle. you wanna be a dirtbag and get to the front, you're gonna have to work for it.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

I just sit up front and leisurely get my bag out while the attendant gets my coat. All the plebes in the back have to wait for me.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

ExPatriatePen wrote:People in the back of airplanes who jump up when the "fasten seat belt sign" is turned off and grab their carry-on bags out of the overheads trying to force their way to the front.

So, on Thursday night I was connecting at Dulles. Plane was one hour late so many people had connections at risk. Mine required a trip on the stupid people mover. Plane was full of rookie or rarely-flyers coming back from Florida. Plane stops on the taxiway waiting for the marshaling crew to come out. 20 or so people stand up and start pulling luggage out of the overhead. FASTEN SEAT BELT sign was NOT off, obviously. Meanwhile marshaling crew is ready (per my observation out the window). Flight Attendant goes nuts, Captain is not allowed to move plane with people standing or crap in the aisle. So these FREAKING IDIOTS have to put their crap back in the overheads and sit back down. Lost five minutes. But for the Captain of my flight back to PIT coming into the terminal looking for the First Officer after the flight had "closed" in the system and telling the gate agent it was OK to let us on (5 other people were making the same connection), I'd have had to either hole up in NoVa overnight or rent a car and drive 4 hours home at 10 PM.

Coincidentally, after getting on the ground in PIT, two people on THAT plane stood up while on the taxiway and IN MOTION and started pulling crap out of the overheads. Plane stopped while they were made to sit down.

I actually like flying, but.... man.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by 71Aj66ax87 »

newarenanow wrote:
PghSkins wrote:Fat Drew Carey >>>>>>>>> Less Fat Drew Carey
I agree. I look at Drew Carey now and I wish he was fat again.
Why?
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

DudeMan2766 wrote:I didnt want to clog up the Gym/Exercise thread with my gripes but all the hipster college kids are back and taking over my gym. Every one of these iditos wants to make a fashion statement at the gym. I saw four...FOUR pairs of those Clark Kent glasses that NBA players are now wearing. I guarantee these guys don't need glasses and to wear them while lifting weights is just ridiculous. Theyre also the guys that workout in groups of 4 or 6 and you have to climb around these doofuses to get to a machine cuz theyre all huddled around the same one or blocking the track. Theres this one kid there who I'd swear gets designer sleveless workout tees made. I hate these goofballs. :evil:
Hipsters don't exercise! Or at least they don't at my school. They are super skinny white kids who don't eat that much. It makes my gym pretty empty since half my school is hipsters.

However, the people you describe are the absolute worst in gyms, especially when they don't wipe off the machines after they use them. Although, I do like to laugh at them sometimes since they have no idea what they are doing. I also hate the people who stay on a machine for longer than the time allowed when the gym is packed, and then get mad when you ask them to get off. It's fun when they try to say they have only been on the machine for 20 minutes, when the timer on it says 45 min.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:I have a laundry list of Price is right annoyances. $1 uping someone I could never do unless I was sure they were all lower. Most of all, these people that look out to the audience for every freakin decision. Think for urself. Just yesterday there was a game that they just went down the row and guessed higher or lower. And every single time the person turned around and dis whatever the people they were with said. Even in plinko people will look out to see where they should place the chip before dropping it. How the hell do those jerks know any better than you?

I also don't like that I found out a few years ago that they don't pick people at random. They interview people while in line. Thy just makes me watch some complete overhyper idiot in like a plain blue tshirt, not even trying to make an effort to be picked and I have to wonder why the hell they chose this doofus.

....I should probably get back to work
Do you also get upset when a team shoots it into the empty net when they're already up two goals?

I have to say that everyone's price is right peeves are extremely peevish to me. I'm generally irked when people on competitive game shows and reality TV talk about how person they're competing with isn't nice. You're on a gameshow! You're goal is to win, not create pen pals with the marine next to you.

E.g.:

Bidder 1: 500
Bidder 2: 750
Bidder 3: 1,000

When the fourth person goes there should be four guesses: $1, $501, $751, $1,001. You maximize the chance you have to win by doing that. There's nothing I hate more than when Bidder 4 bets $1,200. WTF are you doing?!?! And the retail price is . . . $1,095!!! Person 4 goes "Darn I was so close." I cheer against that person the rest of the show.

The other thing I hate (but love to see) is when bidder 3 bids $1. How can you predict that bidder four will bid low? And it's icing on the cake when Bidder 4 bids $2. Sucker.

One time I saw this:

Bidder 1: 700
Bidder 2: 701
Bidder 3: 702!!! (Bidder 2 was dumb but Bidder 3 was horrendously stupid)
Bidder 4: 703!!! (Brilliant, but DudeMan would be pissed).

Retail price was like $1,100. It was awesome. There's an argument that you need to do this cautiously so to avoid retaliation, but I think the chances of getting hit back is slim because people keep winning.

Now I do hate when outside the gameshow context someone says price is right rules. "How far away do you think it is? " "I dunno 10.2 miles?" "No way I think it's five blocks!" ::looks up on phone:: "It's 10.1 miles" "PRICE IS RIGHT RULES I WIN!" :face: