GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:I've been pissed at Nodding Head ever since I went to the Penn Brewfest a couple years ago and they did not have Monkey Knife Fight as advertised on the list. Unforgivable.
i used to go to sunday night quizzo there all the time. like 95% of my beer orders were for grog. i was never compelled to get anything else
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Being that I live on the other side of the state from the brewery, my only exposure is via brewfests. And if you pique my interest by listing Monkey Knife Fight, you'd best have it.

Don't recall what beers they actually did have... Just the one they didn't.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Anyone ever have anything from Southern Tier Brewing Company? Just found out the brewery is 30 minutes from our camp up north.

http://www.stbcbeer.com/stbc/
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

southern tier is pretty awesome. i think pumpkin ales usually taste like tepid dishwater, but ST is widely regarded as having the best one. i like their stouts - oatmeal, creme brulee, double milk, etc.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

eddysnake wrote:Anyone ever have anything from Southern Tier Brewing Company? Just found out the brewery is 30 minutes from our camp up north.

They're great, they're close to chataqua right? It's great up there.

Has anyone been to the Southern Tier brewery? I know they took out financing to renovate their brew pub, it was a decent sized loan so I bet that the facility is pretty awesome.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

eddysnake wrote:Anyone ever have anything from Southern Tier Brewing Company? Just found out the brewery is 30 minutes from our camp up north.

I like most things from ST. Pumking is awesome a must try. Mokah, Choklat, Milk Stout, all good. Heck, I generally don't like IPA's but I like their 2x ipa
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

The 2XIPA is great, their harvest beer is excellent too. I had the Summer Hop on draft couple weeks ago but was dissapointed.

I need to think about going up there in the fall when they have harvest and pumking on draft. Eddy, you should probably let me crash at your camp.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Troy Loney wrote:The 2XIPA is great, their harvest beer is excellent too. I had the Summer Hop on draft couple weeks ago but was dissapointed.

I need to think about going up there in the fall when they have harvest and pumking on draft. Eddy, you should probably let me crash at your camp.
no problem, this saturday they are having a public day from noon to 6 with bbq, music and 25 of their beers
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

ST has some highlights and some average stuff but they have a huge catalog, so, I guess that's to be expected to some extent.

I really want to get to Ommegang one of these days.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I got a ST pack of pales late last year. Might have posted reviews, but basically my favorite was Phin and Matt's extraordinary ale, followed by the IPA. The Pale Ale was decent, not special and the 4th whose name escapes me was some kind of pale wheat ale but it was meh.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shmenguin wrote:
Eismann wrote: Big ups to Spaten Optimator and a local, Nodding Head Grog. Oh so good.
mmm....grog. soooo good. nodding head's been one of my favorite bars in philly for a while, but they're the place that released the "crosby's tears" beer. bleh.

Grrr. That's upsetting. I retroactively regurgitate the Grog.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

eddysnake wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:The 2XIPA is great, their harvest beer is excellent too. I had the Summer Hop on draft couple weeks ago but was dissapointed.

no problem, this saturday they are having a public day from noon to 6 with bbq, music and 25 of their beers

WTF, SHORT NOTICE!!!

How about next weekend?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Troy Loney wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

WTF, SHORT NOTICE!!!

How about next weekend?
gonna be tight, give me a heads up sometime and we'll have a LGP get together up there
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

That'd be sweet...could stop at north country and pick up a couple growlers too.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Troy Loney wrote:That'd be sweet...could stop at north country and pick up a couple growlers too.
As someone who grew up in Slippery Rock, it still amazes me that a town that was dry for so many decades now has what IMO is the best brewpub in Western Pa. I was up there two weeks ago to do some stuff for my mother, and when I left I grabbed a growler of Copper Kettle for $8. You can barely get a can of crap at a ball game for $8!

What I would give for North Country to be in my neighborhood. God, my liver would be toast. It would be beautiful. :cry:
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

North Country is an awesome place. The sampler was a great buy and the food was delicious. That fresh baked bread was so good....so so good.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I need suggestions for the best distributor in the city. I've been going to west liberty beer and tobacco near the tunnels, but went yesterday looking for either Stoudts smooth hoperator or bell's hop slam. Nothing of the sort, my options for an IPA were either Bell's two hearted or ST 2XIPA. I'm officially writing that off as a place with good options.

Preferably a south hills location, I don't feel like going all the way to that place in Regent Square or somewhere like that.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Stopped in Wing Hearts in Market Sq and had a Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti on tap, it was a great snack in the middle of the afternoon, so tasty. Tried a Southern Tier 2xIPA which was equally awesome, can't wait to get more. Full Pint White Lightning was good, nothing great. Abita Turbo Dog Brown Ale was pretty good, not my favorite.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

You had quite the indulgent weekend, eddy.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Kraftster wrote:You had quite the indulgent weekend, eddy.
no kids, had to let my hair down. also had a penn marzen that is always great. went to six penn later in the night and asked for a gray goose on ice, got a plastic cup filled with vodka. I didn't want to be one of those people, but it didn't seem right drinking that out of a plastic cup
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My new technique for having good beer and not breaking the bank:

Those pick what you want sampler 6 packs for $10 at the bottle shop.
I can have a nice beer with or after dinner.....and then it's canned beer for the duration.

#lowbrow
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

i pretty much always have a mini fridge of the cheap stuff ($14/CASE) just in case i want a beer or 9. when i get stuff from the store on a whim, i usually go with the tasty stuff
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

columbia wrote:My new technique for having good beer and not breaking the bank:

I can have a nice beer with or after dinner.....and then it's canned beer for the duration.

#lowbrow
BOOM. Same here. Drink a 8-9-10% er or two to get a righteous buzz then on with the PBR for the rest of the evening.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Just finished a case of Old Style.

#chicagoironcity
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:My new technique for having good beer and not breaking the bank:

#lowbrow
haha I do the same thing. Because after the first or second one, who cares?