Sheriff Shanny

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Sheriff Shanny

Post by Staggy »

[youtube][/youtube]

Let's see what the league does here. With his history I think it's deserving of multiple games but I'm sure the league will only give him one, if that.
Last edited by Staggy on Sat May 05, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

No way he'll suspend the great ape in the playoffs.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

the wicked child wrote:No way he'll suspend the great ape in the playoffs.
Not like Ovechkin is playing...

Wait, he's actually getting ice time?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

i hate this whole "was his skate on the ice?" argument. it's not like waiving off a goal because of a high stick. the intent of the rule is to prevent people from launching themselves. at what point of the launch process a player's feet leave the ice should be irrelevant. this was not the same as a guy's natural momentum coming through a check takes him off his feet.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

No mention of this anywhere. McKenzie and Dreger have been quiet on Twitter. But they've been quiet all day so maybe they're just busy or something. That would be a joke if nothing comes of this.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I kind of feel Ovie was protecting himself. However, leaving your feet is a no no.

I also feel the whole in the act of blowing the whistle is the dumbest rule ever.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Did Torts have anything to say about this? I can't imagine he kept quiet seeing as he complains about the weather after a loss
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Did Torts have anything to say about this? I can't imagine he kept quiet seeing as he complains about the weather after a loss
Somebody asked him a question about the officiating and he just shook his head a few times and then walked out. The press conference lasted about 30 seconds total.

Here's a link to it: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/consol ... &id=176520
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IMFC »

The next time 'after the whistle' Giroux hits somebody cleanly during actual play will be the first time.

No way shanny suspends this silver-spoon-in-the-mouth poser either. Twain said get the rep for being an early riser and you can sleep in for the rest of your life. Giroux would have to take off his skate and stab somebody with it to even get a 5 min. major.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

That is the only way OV knows how to hit, it only took a few years for the refs to start calling it on the ice. I am glad his reputation actually caught up with him.

I can't tell if principle point of contact was the head, but if not, no way you can suspend a player for that hit. That is a 2 minute charging penalty.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

I hope Giroux likes watching hockey.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

As for OV-leaving your feet is not enough for a suspension. To me, it looks like the primary point of contact is the shoulder, so I wouldn't expect a suspension.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Giroux will get a fine. Shanahan will have to run through his checklist to find official reasons to suspend him. And he wont find enough. As far a I know giroux isn't a repeat offender and Zubrus wasn't injured. No suspension. It's a joke though. If you have any common sense, you know what should happen. But shanahan has to make his stupid little videos so he has limited options.

Ovechkin won't get suspended either which is more frustrating since he has such a dicey history. This one should be a slam dunk. We'll see how shanahan weasels his way out of that one.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

pfim wrote:As for OV-leaving your feet is not enough for a suspension. To me, it looks like the primary point of contact is the shoulder, so I wouldn't expect a suspension.

Was it really the shoulder? I guess I didnt see all the angles. Looked like head contact.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Looks like shoulder to me. Head needs to be the principal point of contact, don't think it was in this case even if he got him in the head a bit.
orpchar
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by orpchar »

Zubrus will be suspended 2 games for headbutting Giroux's shoulder.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Elliotte Friedman ‏ @FriedgeHNIC
Expect Flyers/Giroux to argue that similar hit in RD 1 by Malkin on Grossmann went unpunished. #hnic
:( don't mention the schenn hit that gave p martin a concussion. I'll be shocked if shanahan suspends
giroux. If the next one wasn't an elimination game, giroux gets 1 game.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Well, Giroux has a hearing at 11am. We'll see I guess.

I don't think Giroux will have a leg to stand on with the Malkin hit. The view of Giroux's hit is unobstructed, clear target of the head.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I'm sorry, but the events that led up to Giroux's hit should factor into the suspension. It was clear he did what he did out of anger. He needs to be sat for a game.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Giroux lost his cool and acted like a petulant child. malks is right with the events that led up to it. giroux wanted a ticky tack penalty called and was miffed when it wasn't called.
PfanTN
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by PfanTN »

canaan wrote:Giroux lost his cool and acted like a petulant child. malks is right with the events that led up to it. giroux wanted a ticky tack penalty called and was miffed when it wasn't called.
I think the Giroux hit was stupid beyond belief, but how exactly is Marty playing the puck outside the trapezoid a "ticky-tack" call? The damn thing was basically invented because of him.

At the risk of alienating myself here, I'm not about to label Giroux as a "dirty" player quite yet. Stupid, stupid, stupid hit when he obviously lost his cool, and it may cost him the ability to play in what is all liklihood the last game of his teams season, but all the "dirty" stuff I've seen on twitter? Really?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

PfanTN wrote:
canaan wrote:Giroux lost his cool and acted like a petulant child. malks is right with the events that led up to it. giroux wanted a ticky tack penalty called and was miffed when it wasn't called.
I think the Giroux hit was stupid beyond belief, but how exactly is Marty playing the puck outside the trapezoid a "ticky-tack" call? The damn thing was basically invented because of him.

At the risk of alienating myself here, I'm not about to label Giroux as a "dirty" player quite yet. Stupid, stupid, stupid hit when he obviously lost his cool, and it may cost him the ability to play in what is all liklihood the last game of his teams season, but all the "dirty" stuff I've seen on twitter? Really?
I won't call him dirty either. Every hockey player has the ability to be dirty. What Giroux did was scumbag city though, and if he's not suspended, this will pretty much tell you how serious Shanhan and the NHL is on being serious with head shots.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Dirty hit, not sure he's a dirty player. Seems to be a bit of a hot-head, though.
PfanTN
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by PfanTN »

pfim wrote:Dirty hit, not sure he's a dirty player. Seems to be a bit of a hot-head, though.
I think anyone, being totally and completely outplayed and dominated for damn near and entire series, would have the chance to lose their cool though, in all fairness. Hell, we saw it with Crosby in game 3, and at that point the Pens were still in it. If this trend continues though, Giroux would become easy to dislike.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

PfanTN wrote:

i didnt see a blatant play of the puck in the trapezoid. that being said, even if it were a missed call, you dont stop playing hockey to kick and scream like he has diaper rash. the play was dirty. it doesnt make giroux a dirty player--just an immature one.