GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Kraftster »

Also, I think One for the Road (bottle shop in Wexford) is going to be out of business soon.

I stopped today and it was by far the worst selection they have ever had. The coolers were bordering on empty too. The Pine Giant Eagle must be killing them. The Schneider-Weiss Aventinus, for example, is $4.75 at Giant Eagle. The same beer at One for the Road is $9.50!!! Are you kidding? With that combined with the fact that the staff is not all that knowledgeable in my experience and I wonder how much longer they'll survive.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

That may not have been a good example of a Saison... I haven't had many so I'm not sure what they are "supposed" to taste like... but it was one tasty beer IMO.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

New Belgium Tripple
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Had my Lost Abbey - Red Poppy Ale last night. It was very good. I thought that the taste was a bit of a letdown given the smell, which was amazing. A little bit too vinegary -- not enough of a fruit or vinous flavor in there. Vinegar and funk/brett really dominated, at least as compared with Supplication and Consecration, which I think are better balanced. There's definite sour cherries in the aroma, but I think the cherry and oak is tough to pick up in the taste. Might still just be too new to sours, though.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Kraftster wrote:Had my Lost Abbey - Red Poppy Ale last night. It was very good. I thought that the taste was a bit of a letdown given the smell, which was amazing. A little bit too vinegary -- not enough of a fruit or vinous flavor in there. Vinegar and funk/brett really dominated, at least as compared with Supplication and Consecration, which I think are better balanced. There's definite sour cherries in the aroma, but I think the cherry and oak is tough to pick up in the taste. Might still just be too new to sours, though.
Had a nice-sized sample of Consecration at Russian River Brewpub last week. I wish the server would have offered it before drinking a couple pints of Pliny the Elder. Talk about being seriously sour! From The Bruery, Sans Pagaie, was the first sour beer that I had tried and actually liked.

So many breweries have sprung up in CA over the past 5 years, and luckily a few of them are close to an area I frequent in north OC. Kraftster, it sounds like you would appreciate The Bruery out of these select 5. They are within a 5 mile area of each other.

Old Orange Brewing: http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-orange-brew ... any-orange" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Noble Ale Works: http://www.yelp.com/biz/noble-ale-works-anaheim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Bruery: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-bruery-placentia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bootlegger's Brewery: http://www.yelp.com/biz/bootleggers-brewery-fullerton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anaheim Brewery: http://www.yelp.com/biz/anaheim-brewery-anaheim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

stopper40 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Was looking at Mad Mex's draft selections earlier and saw "PENN BREWERY SMALL BATCH 001" on the list. Any idea what this might be?

edit: google pointed me to this on their website...
Penn Small Batch Series 001, "French Oak & American Bourbon Dunkel" poured with a rare German gravity cask at OTB Bicycle Cafe, 2518 East Carson St., 7:30-9:30 pm.

Holy crap, that sounds good
They had that same beer at the Divestock event at Dive in Wexford. It was... interesting, but I didn't think it was all that great.

On the other hand however, anyone who wasn't at Fatheads this past Friday missed out. They had a speacial Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout that had been oak-aged in bourbon barrels and cask-conditioned with hints of vanilla and maple syrup tapped on a firkin. Completely delicious. There were a bunch of other DFH beers on tap as well, including 120 minute, so I of course had to get a Heaven & Hell. :thumb: :thumb:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Kraftster wrote:Also, I think One for the Road (bottle shop in Wexford) is going to be out of business soon.

I stopped today and it was by far the worst selection they have ever had. The coolers were bordering on empty too. The Pine Giant Eagle must be killing them. The Schneider-Weiss Aventinus, for example, is $4.75 at Giant Eagle. The same beer at One for the Road is $9.50!!! Are you kidding? With that combined with the fact that the staff is not all that knowledgeable in my experience and I wonder how much longer they'll survive.
But sadly, once they go out, the Giant Eagle prices not so mysteriously go up. That stupid road work is such a pain. Who's even going to walk on sidewalks around there? Anyone?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Kraftster wrote:Also, I think One for the Road (bottle shop in Wexford) is going to be out of business soon.

I think the name change from 3 Sons Dogs and Suds was accompanied by a change in ownership. I agree the place has been going sharply downhill since that time. And I have been pleasantly surprised by the selection at the new Market District in Pine. I’ve been buying my beer there for a couple months now.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Speaking of Market District, I picked up a four-pack of Green Flash Rayon Vert the last time I was there. It’s a Belgian-Style pale ale bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces and additional ale yeast. The inclusion of Brett could have made it funky, but I found it nicely refreshing and drinkable. They didn’t go too nuts with the alcohol either (7%).
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Stopped at a really cool little place called Teresa's Next Door in Wayne, PA....great Belgian beer bar. Tried the Sierra Nevada Ovila Quad....very good.

They also had Russian River Damnation on tap....ME GUSTA.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Shyster wrote:Speaking of Market District, I picked up a four-pack of Green Flash Rayon Vert the last time I was there. It’s a Belgian-Style pale ale bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces and additional ale yeast. The inclusion of Brett could have made it funky, but I found it nicely refreshing and drinkable. They didn’t go too nuts with the alcohol either (7%).
I saw that today, too.

GE is also really going to town with the wine/spirits conditioned brews these days.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-be ... 02b9780608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tried this over the weekend, several times, man is it good
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I’m going to recommend a book about beer: The Oxford Companion to Beer. I was expecting a book along the lines of what Michael Jackson used to write, but it’s more of an encyclopedia of beer and beer-related information. For example, if you’ve ever read a list of included hop varieties on the side of a bottle and wondered about them, this book has detailed entries on pretty much every one you could think of.

A tidbit I learned from some casual leafing last night: modern Porter beer pretty much owes its existence to Anchor Brewing and Fritz Maytag. At the time Anchor first brewed its Porter in 1974, Porter had been a dead style for around 20 years. The last British brewer of the style ceased production of Porter in the 1950s, and no brewery anywhere in the world made Porter until Fritz and Anchor revived the style. Once he did, other brewers started picking it back up. So if you love you some Porter, the next time you hoist a pint give some thanks that Fritz loved it too.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

BigMcK wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Had my Lost Abbey - Red Poppy Ale last night. It was very good. I thought that the taste was a bit of a letdown given the smell, which was amazing. A little bit too vinegary -- not enough of a fruit or vinous flavor in there. Vinegar and funk/brett really dominated, at least as compared with Supplication and Consecration, which I think are better balanced. There's definite sour cherries in the aroma, but I think the cherry and oak is tough to pick up in the taste. Might still just be too new to sours, though.
Had a nice-sized sample of Consecration at Russian River Brewpub last week. I wish the server would have offered it before drinking a couple pints of Pliny the Elder. Talk about being seriously sour! From The Bruery, Sans Pagaie, was the first sour beer that I had tried and actually liked.

So many breweries have sprung up in CA over the past 5 years, and luckily a few of them are close to an area I frequent in north OC. Kraftster, it sounds like you would appreciate The Bruery out of these select 5. They are within a 5 mile area of each other.

Old Orange Brewing: http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-orange-brew ... any-orange" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Noble Ale Works: http://www.yelp.com/biz/noble-ale-works-anaheim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Bruery: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-bruery-placentia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bootlegger's Brewery: http://www.yelp.com/biz/bootleggers-brewery-fullerton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anaheim Brewery: http://www.yelp.com/biz/anaheim-brewery-anaheim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man. Bruery looks awesome. Thanks for the linkies.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

In a devastating piece of news, I ended up with a bad bottle of Consecration. Cork didn't pop and I was worried. Not a single bubble when poured and I was pretty sure. Tasted and found not a single bit of carbonation and I knew. Awfully disappointing since it had been saved for my return from a huge trial this week. Sigh.

On a positive note, I found an Erie brewery (Lavery) that makes a Saison brewed with Brettamomyces (Liopard Oir). Excited to try. Also picked up a bottle of the Brooklyn saison (Sorachi Ace). Really cool looking bottle that I've been wanting to add for the bottle display I am working on.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Green Flash IPA. Puke town. I'll just go suck on m;y time tree out front.
Moinette makes about sense I could have for hops. After that I really think its just inobtrustive. IBU bash going on from the flasher, though.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Lavery saison brettymunchies in 5, 4., 3, 21...
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Visited the Yuengling Brewery this weekend...very cool trip, recommend.

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Kraftster wrote:In a devastating piece of news, I ended up with a bad bottle of Consecration. Cork didn't pop and I was worried. Not a single bubble when poured and I was pretty sure. Tasted and found not a single bit of carbonation and I knew. Awfully disappointing since it had been saved for my return from a huge trial this week. Sigh.

On a positive note, I found an Erie brewery (Lavery) that makes a Saison brewed with Brettamomyces (Liopard Oir). Excited to try. Also picked up a bottle of the Brooklyn saison (Sorachi Ace). Really cool looking bottle that I've been wanting to add for the bottle display I am working on.
i would call RR and see if there is anything they could do for you.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

canaan wrote:
Kraftster wrote:In a devastating piece of news, I ended up with a bad bottle of Consecration. Cork didn't pop and I was worried. Not a single bubble when poured and I was pretty sure. Tasted and found not a single bit of carbonation and I knew. Awfully disappointing since it had been saved for my return from a huge trial this week. Sigh.

From the looks of things, the other two bottles that were purchased along with mine are going to be bad as well. With that, I think we'll first make an effort to go back to the bottle shop. But, yeah, at like $50 for the 3 bottles, I think we should be able to get something from ssomeone.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Man no one in here drinks normal cheep beer. I drink ice beer with its 5.9% so i get the job done quicker.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

no name wrote:Man no one in here drinks normal cheep beer. I drink ice beer with its 5.9% so i get the job done quicker.
Not 18 anymore.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:Visited the Yuengling Brewery this weekend...very cool trip, recommend.
Did they mention anything about the Bock beer?
That was fave, but it seems like they've stopped producing it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Visited the Yuengling Brewery this weekend...very cool trip, recommend.
Did they mention anything about the Bock beer?
That was fave, but it seems like they've stopped producing it.
They did, in fact. Evidently, it's their seasonal spring beer.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Kraftster wrote:
canaan wrote:

From the looks of things, the other two bottles that were purchased along with mine are going to be bad as well. With that, I think we'll first make an effort to go back to the bottle shop. But, yeah, at like $50 for the 3 bottles, I think we should be able to get something from ssomeone.
I had something similar happen a few weeks ago, except it was pints exploding, and it wasn't super high end. I had 4 pints of Weihenstephaner vitus at like $4 each, and I ended up soaking most of it up from my couch with a bath towel. I didn't do anything to agitate the beer, so I'm just assuming it was a snafu in the bottling process with that batch. I don't think there was anything I could have done about it,.since all 4 pints were open.