GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by ExPatriatePen »

eddysnake wrote:had a Steenbrugge Tripel last night, it was pretty tasty. Also had some Kona Longboard, it's pretty refreshing. Also has some Lagunitas IPA last night, probably my favorite IPA. Also had a few cigars last night, first of the year. Not feeling great for some reason this morning.
Cigars are like whiskey, good ones are fantastic, but if you skimp on quality, you'll be reminded of it the next day.

What were you smoking?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
eddysnake wrote:had a Steenbrugge Tripel last night, it was pretty tasty. Also had some Kona Longboard, it's pretty refreshing. Also has some Lagunitas IPA last night, probably my favorite IPA. Also had a few cigars last night, first of the year. Not feeling great for some reason this morning.
Cigars are like whiskey, good ones are fantastic, but if you skimp on quality, you'll be reminded of it the next day.

What were you smoking?
good ones! in fact top 25 in the world

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prod ... tem=CS-MFB
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I don't like pale ales much at all but the Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale is good.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

mmmmmmmm... weihenstephaner... still the best hefe in the world as far as i'm concerned...

also picked up a 6 pack of paulaner hefe. just ok.. which is kinda disappointing because beeradvocate had it rated fairly high (like 91), and at $10, not a cheap 6 pack. flying dog is still my favorite hefe available in a sixer
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I just got back from my first trip to House of 1000 Beers (in the nick of time). They had 5 Russian Rivers brews: Damnation, Redemption, Sanctification, Consecration, and something else I can't remember. I got the first two, since I figure they are fitting names for this game (and they were cheaper at $14/bottle).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Wow. Thats awesome. $14 for 12 oz. I imagine?
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Kraftster wrote:Wow. Thats awesome. $14 for 12 oz. I imagine?
Yeah, it was 12 oz. bottles. I had the Redemption, which was a very good Belgian style pale ale, but I'm not sure it's worth the price. They had bigger bottles of other, more interesting beers (like the Dogfishhead Red and White that I had a couple weeks ago) for around the same price. Still though, the Redemption is a very good beer. I'm worried it might be bad juju to break out the Damnation for the 3rd period, so I might just go with some Sam Adams that I keep around as a back-up.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Yeah, I think if you're going to spring for rr you might as well go for the sours/barrel aged stuff. The consecration is aged I think 8 months and is unique enough (at least as compared with most east coast stuff) that it's more worth e money, I think.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Woooooo
Victory Moonglow (Weizenbock), Troegenator, and ST 2x Milk Stout tonight.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Haven't had the MS, but :thumb: to the other two
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Tried Shock Top Lemon Shandy yesterday. Wanted something light and it was on sale. Didn't really have high expectations, but it was surprisingly okay. Lemon flavor is strong to start, but mellows. Decent hot day beer.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Got my beer today. Got what they had that was on my list and also got this one. Apparently very hard to find on the East coast and the guy would not let my friend leave without getting it for me based upon my other selections. Not cheap at $20 for a 375 ML (12.7 oz).

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Has anyone tried anything from this place before?

http://www.draailaag.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Nope. I've seen it on tap at Mad Mex a couple times, that's the only way I knew about it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Does anyone know if you can buy a wine cooler that stores bottles upright? I thought about getting one to chill beer but don't want to store it on its side.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Kraftster wrote:Nope. I've seen it on tap at Mad Mex a couple times, that's the only way I knew about it.

You should probably try it next time, at a bar on saturday and they said they go through barrels of their stuff faster than they can purchase them right now.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Troy Loney wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Nope. I've seen it on tap at Mad Mex a couple times, that's the only way I knew about it.

You should probably try it next time, at a bar on saturday and they said they go through barrels of their stuff faster than they can purchase them right now.
The Aureus is on tap at the North Hills MM right now.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I had the Russian River Damnation last night (roughly to coincide with the Pens' loss). It was very good, with a bit more complexity than the Redemption (damnation does seem more interesting than redemption most of the time). I would buy the Damnation again at that price, but probably not the Redemption.

I think House of 1000 Beers had that Lost Abbey brew as well. I didn't read the label, but I remember being struck by the red flower on a black label. Now that I know where it is and how awesome it is, it's going to be hard not stopping by that place once a week or so (which is bad for my wallet).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Brought back a free growler of Helltown Double IPA from the beer tasting at Dive last night :thumb:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

largegarlic wrote:I had the Russian River Damnation last night (roughly to coincide with the Pens' loss). It was very good, with a bit more complexity than the Redemption (damnation does seem more interesting than redemption most of the time). I would buy the Damnation again at that price, but probably not the Redemption.

I think House of 1000 Beers had that Lost Abbey brew as well. I didn't read the label, but I remember being struck by the red flower on a black label. Now that I know where it is and how awesome it is, it's going to be hard not stopping by that place once a week or so (which is bad for my wallet).
Good to know, hopefully its good. Or maybe its better (for my wallet) if its not.

I think I am going to have make a really rich and creamy gruyere/cheddar crab mac n cheese tonight to have with the two Verhaeghe sours that I got.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Was looking at Mad Mex's draft selections earlier and saw "PENN BREWERY SMALL BATCH 001" on the list. Any idea what this might be?

edit: google pointed me to this on their website...
Penn Small Batch Series 001, "French Oak & American Bourbon Dunkel" poured with a rare German gravity cask at OTB Bicycle Cafe, 2518 East Carson St., 7:30-9:30 pm.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

the wicked child wrote:Was looking at Mad Mex's draft selections earlier and saw "PENN BREWERY SMALL BATCH 001" on the list. Any idea what this might be?

edit: google pointed me to this on their website...
Penn Small Batch Series 001, "French Oak & American Bourbon Dunkel" poured with a rare German gravity cask at OTB Bicycle Cafe, 2518 East Carson St., 7:30-9:30 pm.

Holy crap, that sounds good
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Damnit... just checked the draft list again and it's no longer on there. Boo!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Tried two beers...

Troegs Scratch 60 Dortmunder. Pretty much just a standard pale ale taste. Ho hum.

Ithaca Ground Break Saison. Loved it. Reminds me a lot of the Harpoon Belgian Pale Ale so it was right up my alley.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Hmm, I swear I posted this earlier, but I must not have clicked submit.

I went to McKnight Mad Mex yesterday specifically for the Troegs Scratch #57 (Weizenbock). It kicked 1/3 into my glass :( What I was able to taste I was intrigued by it. Nice berry flavor but a good alcohol presence too.

I also tried the Ithaca Saison. Its a very highly rated saison, but I was not a big fan at all. High end of the hop range for a saison ("americanized" as Ithaca calls it) and to the point of killing much of the subtlty usually present in saisons, I think. Had a nice bubble gum smell but was tough to pick up much other than hops in the flavor. That twc compared it too a pale ale is pretty telling.

I went big tonight, though, breaking into my Russian River Supplication. My oh my. I am really digging sours, and Supplication is definitely the most sour that I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. Really bites the tongue. Aged in Pinot Noir barrels for 15 months and you can definitely pick up a bit of that flavor as well as the oak. Expensive type of beer to get into, but I am hooked.