Sheriff Shanny

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Sheriff Shanny

Post by shmenguin »

2 seconds is a loooong time. neal on coutourier was probably something like 2 seconds, and that was one of the latest hits i can remember seeing
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Malkamaniac wrote:Can't wait until Torres gets nothing because it's considered a tough Canadian hockey style play :pop:
he's a repeat offender x3.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

jeff marek (the other guy on the puck daddy podcast) is such a god damn idiot sometimes. apparently the reason torres went up high is because he was bracing himself for a collision and that lets him off the hook somewhat, and it's lazy analysis to say that he was headhunting. it's the same crap as usual from this bozo. he thinks he has the most genius idea ever, with the most unique POV, and total garbage proceeds to come out of his mouth.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

In another shocking turn, the Caps have AGAIN issued a statement that they don't agree with one of theory players being suspended. And it will once again be ignored by everyone because it doesnt help prove the Pens are the whiners
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Nobody's mentioned it here yet, but Torres has been suspended "indefinitely" pending a hearing on Friday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:In another shocking turn, the Caps have AGAIN issued a statement that they don't agree with one of theory players being suspended. And it will once again be ignored by everyone because it doesnt help prove the Pens are the whiners

I dont agree with that suspension either, but its the Caps, so whatevs
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I don't agree with it either... 1 game was too lenient for a cross-check to the face after the buzzer
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

I don't like the "star factor" playing into a suspension when the offender is the marquee player, but I have more tolerance for giving tighter discipline when the victim is a star, particularly for a non-hockey play. The problem is that the Hawks wouldn't take a Hossa for Torres trade, but it's what they have to live with.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Mr. Colby wrote:Torres is going to get a big suspension and that sucks because that hit was not that bad at all. Just because Hossa got seriously injured doesn't make it any worse. He reached for the puck with his head down.

Torres did leave his feet and it was charging, but from my view he didn't make head contact.
He reached for the puck? He didn't make head contact? What were you watching? Neither of those are true in the slightest.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Da_Funk wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, I don't care where the initial contact was. The fact is, Torres hit him WAY late (probably a full two seconds after he skated away from the puck, launched himself a foot into the air, and boom. It was a dirty, late hit that resulted in injury.
:lol:

TSN said it was 0.8 seconds.
You'll have to forgive me, I've been watching the series on a satellite uplink from outer space. Time passes more quickly for me than it does for the rest of the posters on here.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Can't imagine this is very favorable for Torres.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are actually waiting to announce it, which means it's probably fairly sizable.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

bhaw wrote:Can't imagine this is very favorable for Torres.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are actually waiting to announce it, which means it's probably fairly sizable.
I am thinking 10-15 games with carryover if PHX doesn't advance far enough to eat up the suspension . They are definitely considering the "full body of work" of Torres and him being a multi-repeat offender so expect strong punishment. The fact that his latest screw up was performed against a star player who got taken to the hospital and it's like a perfect storm for a long suspension.

There isn't any doubt that the outcome of illegal hits factor into the NHL discipline system as well as who was the victim. Hossa getting taken off on a stretcher and obviously not returning but instead going to the hospital means lots of time off for one Raffi Torres.

I don't care what reasons Shanny/NHL use as justification, just suspend the piece of crap Torres for a long time. He's garbage and seems incapable of learning anything up to this point. He didn't learn the last suspension so jack it up to the point that he either does or go plays elsewhere.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Puffymuffin »

So.. 25 games... :P
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

holy crap. How did they even come up with that?
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

HOLY ****!!!
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

And I got laughed at for my 10 game prediction... :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Just watched the video. Great explanation on this one. They got this one right. It's a shame it takes Torres injuring so many players with head shots to actually punish him appropriately.

-Violated 3 rules (interference, charging, illegal check to the head)
-Severe injury
-Suspended 5 times in the past, including multiple in the last 2 years for similar hits
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

bhaw wrote:Just watched the video. Great explanation on this one. They got this one right. It's a shame it takes Torres injuring so many players with head shots to actually punish him appropriately.

-Severe injury
-Suspended 5 times in the past, including multiple in the last 2 years for similar hits
So I'm guessing you've changed your opinion since last year?
bhaw wrote:Torres has a bad reputation from 2 weeks at the end of the regular season because people were trying to prove Matt Cooke isn't the worst human being int he world. I'd take Torres on the Pens.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

npv708 wrote:
bhaw wrote:Just watched the video. Great explanation on this one. They got this one right. It's a shame it takes Torres injuring so many players with head shots to actually punish him appropriately.

-Severe injury
bhaw wrote:Torres has a bad reputation from 2 weeks at the end of the regular season because people were trying to prove Matt Cooke isn't the worst human being int he world. I'd take Torres on the Pens.
Are you asking because 4 of the 5 happened since I said that last year? Then yes. If you're asking whether or not I was still accurate then, the answer is also yes.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

bhaw wrote:
npv708 wrote:

-Severe injury
Are you asking because 4 of the 5 happened since I said that last year? Then yes. If you're asking whether or not I was still accurate then, the answer is also yes.
Yes, because obviously prior to this year, Torres was an angel and had no history of dirty play and cheap shots. :roll:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I don't get the point. I liked him better last year. This year he has gone completely off the handle.

Am I not allowed to change my opinion?
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

I thought 10-15 because Shanny and NHL didn't have the stones to give him anything like what they actually did. Good job in this case proving me wrong and FU Torres.

Now, can we get a little more consistent on discipline that doesn't involve someone having to be stretchered off the ice to the hospital? Any moron can make this easy call on a piece of trash like Torres. That doesn't take a lot of guts, though 25 games just might wake a few people up.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

I wonder how many games Shanny will give this vicious elbow:
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]

:lol:
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Stick_licker »

Interesting article in the new york times about Shanny's role:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/sport ... l?src=dayp

Full of nonsense to be honest, but it's good to know that some of the criticisms are getting to him. Doesn't seem like much will change as a result, but at least he knows everyone thinks he's full of it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Torres to appeal...Meathead.