Sheriff Shanny

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Sheriff Shanny

Post by bhaw »

Will be a busy day in Shanahan's office Monday. Bickel already has a hearing for chicken winging Mike Smith. Then there's the shenanigans from today. I expect Asham to get a couple games (blatant attack, but what will save him is that he struck Schenn in the chest first and Schenn came back 5 min later). Not sure how they handle Neal. It took me a couple replays to figure out whether it was accidental or intentional as Neal did a good job of looking like he was trying to get around him (like Steckel). Going after Giroux didn't help his case though. $2500 or 1 game for him is my guess.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Orlando Penguin »

Shanaban has lost all credibility to me after his non-action to Weber in Game 1 of the Wings-Preds series. He gave Hagelin 3 games which is the right move and should have been what Weber got. But I guess if you're a star and not a 3rd-pair D-man grinder, then you get the benefit of the doubt. Asham will get a game simply because it was a match penalty with intent to injure, despite the location of the crosscheck contact. I haven't seen Neal's play yet but didn't he get a fine/1-gamer earlier this season for a highly-questionable high-sticking incident earlier this season?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Orlando Penguin wrote:I haven't seen Neal's play yet but didn't he get a fine/1-gamer earlier this season for a highly-questionable high-sticking incident earlier this season?
Slewfooted by PK Slewban and fined $2500 for a high stick
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Orlando Penguin wrote:Shanaban has lost all credibility to me after his non-action to Weber in Game 1 of the Wings-Preds series. He gave Hagelin 3 games which is the right move and should have been what Weber got. But I guess if you're a star and not a 3rd-pair D-man grinder, then you get the benefit of the doubt. Asham will get a game simply because it was a match penalty with intent to injure, despite the location of the crosscheck contact. I haven't seen Neal's play yet but didn't he get a fine/1-gamer earlier this season for a highly-questionable high-sticking incident earlier this season?
I am not 100% sure that they take regular season issues into account for playoffs. Shanahan made some idiotic comment several weeks ago that he treats them different because every playoff series is basically the equivalent of a full season. So a 3 game suspension, per his own words, is the equivalent of 35ish games.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Asham should sit for a game. Neal should not. Does it really matter at this point? You decide.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Orlando Penguin »

Saw the Neal hit in between games on Versus. His hit is no worse than the one Schenn put on Martin and the hit he put on Giroux is innocuous at best. Anything more than a fine is a total joke given what the decision on Weber was.

In other news, I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with the Rangers statement that they put out about the Hagelin suspension. They have a right to be 'totally perplexed' over the decision based on others already made in the playoffs.

And can't someone grab Milbury by the throat and show him the GD tape of Asham's hit? Makes me wish I could reach thru the TV and put my hands around his throat.
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by spiritfan »

It's comming and everyone should not act surprised when it happens... a player is gonna get very seriously injured or worse yet killed on the ice... Shanny is a sham and the rest of league officials are a joke... sports leagues think they are above the law... very unfortunate
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

bhaw wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:Shanaban has lost all credibility to me after his non-action to Weber in Game 1 of the Wings-Preds series. He gave Hagelin 3 games which is the right move and should have been what Weber got. But I guess if you're a star and not a 3rd-pair D-man grinder, then you get the benefit of the doubt. Asham will get a game simply because it was a match penalty with intent to injure, despite the location of the crosscheck contact. I haven't seen Neal's play yet but didn't he get a fine/1-gamer earlier this season for a highly-questionable high-sticking incident earlier this season?
I am not 100% sure that they take regular season issues into account for playoffs. Shanahan made some idiotic comment several weeks ago that he treats them different because every playoff series is basically the equivalent of a full season. So a 3 game suspension, per his own words, is the equivalent of 35ish games.
Oh nice, solid 92 game suspension of Cooke then, Shanny (or was it still Campbell back then? can't remember)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

spiritfan wrote:It's comming and everyone should not act surprised when it happens... a player is gonna get very seriously injured or worse yet killed on the ice... Shanny is a sham and the rest of league officials are a joke... sports leagues think they are above the law... very unfortunate
I doubt anyone reasonable would disagree with this. You could actually say it's already happened when you read how Savard and Pronger have to live right now. Sure, they aren't paralyzed, but definite quality of life issue for 2 really good players.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Staggy wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Oh nice, solid 92 game suspension of Cooke then, Shanny (or was it still Campbell back then? can't remember)
Campbell dished that one out. Apparently he didn't get the memo that the team that wins the Cup actually plays 5 seasons to get there :lol:

I'm fine with the Cooke suspension in hindsight. It did what it was intended to do: change behavior.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

It's true though. You'd think, maybe if they did that with other players, I'd actually have an effect.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Watched Hagelin's hit for the first time. 3 games is a good call there, but the Rangers have the right to be upset given Weber was allowed a free (well, almost free) pass for something with similar intent. Seems the injury was the main reason it was 3 games compared to the 2500 fine.
It's true though. You'd think, maybe if they did that with other players, I'd actually have an effect.
Been saying this all year.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

With the Pens toast, I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan used this opportunity to really lay the hammer down.

It would allow him to look "tough" on crime, but allow him to do it without actually affecting any outcomes of games/series (since the Pens are dead-men walking).

Win-Win for him and the NHL.

Though perhaps it's too clever for them to do it.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

I think another lock out needs to happen
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

What good would that do with regards to suspensions?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Shanahan was on WFAN NY this morning and said this in regard to the Hagelin and Carkner suspensions:
Biggest difference between them is head injury and concussion on one and no injury on the other
While I admit that he's likely handcuffed by other powers from within (for those just jumping aboard this train, see the CBC HNIC video from a few weeks back), I don't know how you can't not laugh at how out ridiculous the logic he uses is. But really, there's nothing funny about this.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Neal suspension is outrageous... he hit a guy with the puck who ducked his head right into the contact. At a max he deserved 2 for charging. In any other game that wasn't like the one that one happened in, that's a nothing play.

Sucks.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Torres is going to get a big suspension and that sucks because that hit was not that bad at all. Just because Hossa got seriously injured doesn't make it any worse. He reached for the puck with his head down.

Torres did leave his feet and it was charging, but from my view he didn't make head contact.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I have a problem with chicken wing elbows and dirty stick plays, but with an honest hit like that i take no issue.
Da_Funk

Post by Da_Funk »

Mr. Colby wrote:Torres is going to get a big suspension and that sucks because that hit was not that bad at all. Just because Hossa got seriously injured doesn't make it any worse. He reached for the puck with his head down.

Torres did leave his feet and it was charging, but from my view he didn't make head contact.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=393507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was a late hit by league standards, and while the NHL does measure hits with their eyes in terms of a feel, they also measure it in terms of time and I'm sure this will be deemed a late hit.

Torres launched himself into Hossa. It was not a hit straight through the way that Dustin Brown hit Henrik Sedin in the Vancouver-LA game. There was a launch, and the principle point of contact was the head. In addition to that, there was a significant injury on the play and the player in question is somebody who has a history as a repeat offender.

Torres has a checkered past and when they go through the criteria of Rule 48, he meets them all. He's going to be suspended, and I suspect it's going to be an in person hearing with a significant number.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Mr. Colby wrote:but from my view he didn't make head contact.
it's a fact that he made head contact. its not subject to interpretation
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yeah, I don't care where the initial contact was. The fact is, Torres hit him WAY late (probably a full two seconds after he skated away from the puck, launched himself a foot into the air, and boom. It was a dirty, late hit that resulted in injury.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

There was nothing "right" about the Torres hit. It's exactly the type of hit they're looking to get rid of.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Can't wait until Torres gets nothing because it's considered a tough Canadian hockey style play :pop:
Da_Funk

Post by Da_Funk »

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, I don't care where the initial contact was. The fact is, Torres hit him WAY late (probably a full two seconds after he skated away from the puck, launched himself a foot into the air, and boom. It was a dirty, late hit that resulted in injury.
:lol:

TSN said it was 0.8 seconds.