Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by count2infinity »

couple of NY strip steaks with roasted potatoes and roasted broccoli for the evening.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

count2infinity wrote:couple of NY strip steaks with roasted potatoes and roasted broccoli for the evening.
Mans meal... sounds good.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

throw in a glass of red wine with it... shiraz.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

count2infinity wrote:throw in a glass of red wine with it... shiraz.
Down with that, perfect.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I made BBQ chicken breast on the grill tonight.

We had some delmonico steaks on Friday...man they make my grill flame up good with all the fat in them.

Anyone have a good idea for venison tenderloin?? I've never made it before. I think I want to try the grill but not dry it out. Additionally it is wild (got it in november myself) so i don't know how I feel about eating it anything below medium well.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Did you process the animal yourself or did you take it to a butcher? If you did it yourself, then I'd be a little more concerned about eating it med-rare. A butcher will have cleaner facilities, probably be more thorough about cleaning the animal, etc. (Unless you are uber-butcher yourself) Cooking it beyond that, you might as well just make it into jerky; cos that's effectively what you're doing anyway; by med-well the thing will have lost about 40% of its weight in evaporated water.

If I had a lovely tenderloin like that, I'd do my ghetto sous vide method.

Get a large pot of water and set it to hold about 140 F. Put the saddle in a sturdy freezer-grade Ziploc bag along with some aromatics (bay leaf, rosemary sprig, smashed garlic, some acid like lemon juice and a bit of oil). Seal the bag about 90% closed and place the bag into the water, allow the water to come up the edges of the bag around the meat just up to the level of the closure; this will force all the air out. Seal the bag completely and drop it the whole way into the water bath. Hold that temp for about 2 hours. Remove from the water, plunge into an ice bath. Once cooled, after about 2 minutes, remove the venison from the bag and pat dry. Apply a rub of dried thyme, rosemary, crushed juniper berries and some salt, then sear off the meat in a hot skillet.

Shingle cut, sprinkle with some smoked sea salt and some fresh herbage and a pan sauce and there you go.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I have a lot so I think I am going to try this.

Also it was butchered by an amateur butcher so I wouldnt call his facilities "clean" buy they are better than my garage
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The FDA guidelines for Pasteurization call for very high temperatures (above 160 F and in some cases well into the 200 F range), but what scientists are learning now is that prolonged exposure to relative lower temps (sub 140 F) is just as effective as the shorter 'bursts' of high temps in commercial processing. But those longer exposure times aren't really conducive to large scale food production. They are, however, wonderfully suited to your kitchen.

Just don't get cranky with me if you do get sick. :P
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya with Cornbread and Red Pepper Jelly
(I did not make the cornbread, I have to confess)

First time making jambalaya, and I have to say it won't be the last. A couple minor faults of execution (too much pimentón made it taste a little too similar to a paella, slightly undercooked rice, etc) but otherwise I was totally pleased. And the pepper jelly (one of my all-time favorite condiments) was a great match with the cornbread. Very simple but very tasty.

A co-worker friend was recently in NOLA and she brought me back a jar of house-made hot sauce from Butcher, the deli adjacent to Cochon (Donald Link's place), which I was lamenting my decision to leave it at work in my hot sauce desk drawer. She also brought me a bacon praline from Butcher.... that thing did not last 10 minutes.

>>>>>>>>>>

Pork Porterhouse with Sage and Cider and Ginger-Cumin Carrots

For some reason, this dish added up to much more than the sum of its parts. The plating certainly isn't anything to write home about, but the flavors were extremely bright and complementary. This guy's going straight to the regular rotation.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Made some caprese salad tonight with fresh mozzarella, tomatos, chopped basil and balsamic reduction. So good, one of my favorite light meals.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Made my deer tenderloin. I just wrapped in Bacon after a marinade and grilled for 5 mminutes a side. Tasted awesome and sooooo tender
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Roasted Chicken Thighs with Shallots and Shiitakes

When I make this dish, I usually roast the shallots and mushrooms together with the chicken, and make a pan sauce with a little lemon juice and maybe a touch of butter. This time, I wanted to play with texture a little and so I did a quick saute of the shiitakes, then pureed with a little oil and vinegar.

I like that contrast of getting strong mushroom flavor from something smooth like that, but I need to find a better way to deal with the shallots. Maybe roast and puree the shallot and serve the mushrooms thinly sliced and raw?
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Tifosi- that looks awesome!!!!!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

BadHands71 wrote:Tifosi- that looks awesome!!!!!
Yeah Tif's plates are always tight, enjoy this thread because of the pictures of all of the food created!

My family's tradition is that I grill a ton of food on Easter, I love it, a man and his grill.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

We had people over for Easter. A lot of my fellow grad students are from far away, so they didn't go home for Easter. We all sat around and had pizza and watched the masters. Made a regular pepperoni pizza, a BBQ chicken pizza and then a new one that I haven't made before, Hawaiian. I don't really like ham all that much nor do I like hot pineapple, so I didn't try a piece, but everyone said it was awesome, so i guess I did something right.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I mentioned in the happy birthday to me thread that Mrs Tif and I were going to ink. on Saturday. Run by "Top Chef Season 6" winner Michael Voltaggio, ink. has been a pretty hot reservation in town since the place opened late last year.

It was, without question, the best meal of my life.

Don't get me wrong; I've had a few better tasting dishes, and I've had meals that didn't have the peaks and valleys this one did. But never before have I been engaged in such a conversation with the chef. Never before has a chef so clearly communicated their point of view. So yes, this meal had a couple misses..... but those misses were part of what made the meal so exciting.

I haven't been this jazzed about food and cooking in years. I've been pouring over the "VOLT ink." cookbook - previously something I considered beyond me - every free moment since about 10 pm Saturday night when we got back from our meal.

Between my co-worker getting "Modernist Cuisine" at Christmas and this meal....... holy poop.....

I'm linking these images out of my Facebook page; if they aren't visible to everyone let me know and I'll move them to Picasa or Photobucket.
Spoiler:
I didn't take these pictures, but I found them on a couple random food blog sites. The tasting menu changes almost daily, so it was sort of lucky to find a guy who had the exact same menu we did, right down to the desserts.

malpeque oysters, mignonette ice

egg yolk gnocchi, bay scallops, flavors of spring

foie gras, waffle, smoked maple, hot sauce

sturgeon, mushroom oatmeal, mushroom hay

milk-fed veal, asparagus, curds and whey of buttermilk

apple, caramel, burnt wood ice cream

greek yogurt, strawberry, rhubarb, coconut
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Did they have the victory pils when you were there? It was kind of random that they have it listed on their site
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

??
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

"burnt wood ice cream"

??
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Apple wood is torched to cinders, and the ashes are sprinkled into the cream base. Mrs Tif thought it was bacon, I thought it tasted more strongly of pimentón. Since the former is a common bacon flavoring, she was more right than I was.

The cream base is put into a 4-oz ladle that is dipped into liquid nitrogen. An outer shell sets up in about 20 seconds, but the interior remains silky smooth and only lightly chilled. You crack the dome of the ice cream with the back of your spoon and it splits open and releases this intense smokey aroma out over the table. Fantastic.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It sounds like some real down-home cooking. :slug:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I am a very adventurous eater, but I am pretty sure that I would not enjoy a trip to one of those restaurants (like the one tif went to) at all. I enjoy a lot of the finer things, but some of those crazy fancy foods do not appeal to me in the slightest. Probably the only thing that would appeal to me is that veal dish.

I'm willing to try just about anything, but I would definitely get more enjoyment from going to a top-notch steak/seafood place (i.e. Devon Seafood Grill in Philly) and shelling out a couple hundred bucks. Just my own personal thoughts though. As I said, there are very few things I won't try.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

If you are going to spend that much in Philly, you might want to consider Morimoto.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:If you are going to spend that much in Philly, you might want to consider Morimoto.
I was just throwing out a number, generally it's not that much. I don't really like fancy Asian food.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Since I started this hardcore diet, one of my staples (especially when my wife has class) are frozen flounder fillets. Not exactly glamorous, but so easy to make and delicious. Just take a filet out of the freezer, brush it with olive oil, season to taste (lemon, garlic, pepper, etc) , and bake for 15 minutes. I don't mind the fishy flavor, so these have become a go-to dish for me. At 80 calories a fillet, can't go wrong.