The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Post by PghSkins »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
Streaks House wrote:
columbia wrote:Who hosts the pre-10 AM show on da Fan?
It's unlistenable.
5:40AM-10AM: Jim Colony, Paul Alexander, and Gregg Giannotti

It's getting worse, more gimmicks.
The Jim Colony reads an athletes tweet segment is probably the worst thing I ever heard on the radio.
Not even the worst thing on that show. The Machine gets my vote.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I never thought someone would use the Apple computer robot voice as an actual bit in their show and get approval to continually do it. It's totally embarrassing.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Andrew Fullagroany wrote:I don't know why Bylsma didn't get up on the boards and challenge Laviolette. What, is there some decorum expected from NHL coaches now?
Wait, let me think...... Uh.......yes?
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

PghSkins wrote:
Andrew Fullagroany wrote:I don't know why Bylsma didn't get up on the boards and challenge Laviolette. What, is there some decorum expected from NHL coaches now?
He accused me of slandering him on twitter a few weeks ago when I accused him of being a shock jock wannabe
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

pensfan1989 wrote:
PghSkins wrote:
He accused me of slandering him on twitter a few weeks ago when I accused him of being a shock jock wannabe
How is he still in the 6-10PM slot? Poni must have incriminating photographs of whoever he reports to at The Fan.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

As soon as the Buccos start, Poni will be on from 10-2 I presume. Though if there is some sort of post-game show, maybe like 11-2.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:As soon as the Buccos start, Poni will be on from 10-2 I presume. Though if there is some sort of post-game show, maybe like 11-2.
good, give him the daylight shift where I don't have to listen to him.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I like baseball. I like watching baseball. I find listening to baseball intensely boring. I wish the Fan wouldn't have 162 nights wherein there is baseball on their airwaves. Listening to meaningless spring training games has made me reach my fill.

HOWEVER

I would rather listen to baseball than listen to Andrew Filaponi, I dislike his voice and opinions that much.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

IronDukes37 wrote:Yup, we need clarification on this but supposedly Poni will go on-air from after the Pirates post-game to 2am and Mueller goes back to 2am-6am.
IIRC the 2 new guys are gonna do both Pirates pre-game and post-game shows. (has to be rough for an 162 game schedule over 6 months)
give him the daylight shift
10pm-2am
There are certain parts of the year where I can see several minutes of daylight at 10pm, so yes that's acceptable.....year round.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Vinny is off and I finally understand his role:
Without him there, Cooke just yammers incessantly.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

glad this thread got bumped. thanks columbia

last night, about 6:00, kenny the kangaroo decided out of curiosity to see how filaponi was handling a show after the first game of the season. one would think that it would be an optimistic show, or something like that

of course it wasnt. the very first words out of that d-bags mouth were something like "clint hurdle may have made a tacticcal error in this game. do you think he should have bunted andrew mccutchen in the first inning with two on and no outs?" after hearing such a moronic statement, kenny the kangaroo turned it off.

what a piece of horsecrap that guy is.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:glad this thread got bumped. thanks columbia

last night, about 6:00, kenny the kangaroo decided out of curiosity to see how filaponi was handling a show after the first game of the season. one would think that it would be an optimistic show, or something like that

of course it wasnt. the very first words out of that d-bags mouth were something like "clint hurdle may have made a tacticcal error in this game. do you think he should have bunted andrew mccutchen in the first inning with two on and no outs?" after hearing such a moronic statement, kenny the kangaroo turned it off.

Yeah, he was going on and on about how the Pirates should play small ball, yada yada yada. Seriously, first inning of the home opener and your going to complain they didn't bunt their all star centerfielder that they just paid? Filiponi was complaining a couple weeks ago about Hurdle questioning his credentials. Basically saying that being a hitting coach in Texas and Colorado is an easy job and Hurdle didn't do anything, and if he's such a good hitting coach, why does Pedro Alvarez suck?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

What is this on seibal starky and miller that for every day the pirates are above .500 they can't shave?? WTF kind of stupid bet is that. Especially when you're dealing with the Pirates?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I really hate saying this, but out of all the shows, I like Cook and Vinnie's the most. I detest Cook, but they don't get caught in the constant fan girl hooplah.

Fillaponi is the worst. The morning show sucks, and Miller is about the only one I like in the drive home. So I can't even listen to that.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I really wish Guy Junker were back on the air; he's so much better than these clowns.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

you know what grinds kenny the kangaroos gears about starky? that annoying thing that him and seibel do about popular music. ie:

siebel: So i was listening to metallica last night

starkey: Whats a metallica? am i suppose to know who that is? why are they yelling

siebel: LOL UR SUCH A SQUARE!

god is that annoying. its not funny. its not clever to point out how starkey doesnt know anything music. the whole "starkey is a weenie that doesnt know about popular culture" is just pathetic. ugh
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:you know what grinds kenny the kangaroos gears about starky? that annoying thing that him and seibel do about popular music. ie:

siebel: So i was listening to metallica last night

starkey: Whats a metallica? am i suppose to know who that is? why are they yelling

siebel: LOL UR SUCH A SQUARE!

god is that annoying. its not funny. its not clever to point out how starkey doesnt know anything music. the whole "starkey is a weenie that doesnt know about popular culture" is just pathetic. ugh
Everything about seibel is terrible. His macho "when i was a marine" schtick sucks and all of his sports opinions are terrible....i can't understand what he brings to the table. Starkey obviously sucks when he talks nonsense, but he's good at talking sports.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Malkamaniac wrote:I really hate saying this, but out of all the shows, I like Cook and Vinnie's the most. I detest Cook, but they don't get caught in the constant fan girl hooplah.

Fillaponi is the worst. The morning show sucks, and Miller is about the only one I like in the drive home. So I can't even listen to that.
I'm a big Mueller supporter. He just makes me laugh with the whole, "I God I know I'm on a crappy station in a terrible time slot." thing cracks me up and he does get some decent sports talk going. Plus the wrestling theme intros to his show are money.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

You guys do know that Trib Live radio is on everyday and is actually very good radio from the times of 9AM to 2PM everyday right?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:glad this thread got bumped. thanks columbia

That piece of horsecrap blindsided me yesterday. I forgot the Pirates had just played the afternoon game, so I guess he was doing the post-game. Anyways, 545 rolls around, and there's he is wasting his breath, repeating the same opinion over and over again but phrasing it differently in each sentence.

"I just don't think he's a good coach. What do you think? I just don't see it. He's just not what I'm looking for in a coach. What has he done to make me think that he's a major league coach?" (paraphrasing of course)

The economy sucks and I don't wish for anybody to lose their job, but can't 93.7 reassign him as their toilet cleaner at the station?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

if he does the same garbage that he does with pitt hoops, it will certainly ruin pirate broadcasts for this gentleman. david todd wasnt interesting, but he knew how a pre and post game show should go. good post game shows dont have vague topic based circular arguements that filaponi cherishes so very much. who the eff wants to argue the merits of clint hurdle an hour and a half after the first game of the season? no one. it totally detracts from what they should be doing, and thats talking about the game. every time filaponi would be on the pitt pre game he would be arguing about why jamie dixons lack of a final four. why cant you just talk about the effing game during the pre game show. bob grove doesnt do that crap. steve mears dont. rob king didnt, david todd didnt, rocco demario didnt. no one else in the effing universe doesnt do it except for that troll.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

and thats a big difference between madden and filaponi. we all know madden will troll the stiller fans and troll them hard. but you would never hear madden call out the rooneys or call hines ward a phony during a pre game show.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

The best shows Ive heard on the fan were Mueller & Miller from 2-6 for a week like two summers ago when the other guys were on vacation. Thats would be the best combo for a decent afternoon show.