Sheriff Shanny

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Sheriff Shanny

Post by Sarcastic »

If he doesn't get at least 5 games for such a blatant elbow then there needs to be some sort of investigation into the way the NHL runs things.

I also don't like Sedin's hit because he is clearly aiming for his head. Maybe it's legal right now, maybe it isn't, I don't know anymore, but I don't want to see hits to the head. Game is too fast and players get too severely injured.

Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Sarcastic wrote:If he doesn't get at least 5 games for such a blatant elbow then there needs to be some sort of investigation into the way the NHL runs things.

I also don't like Sedin's hit because he is clearly aiming for his head. Maybe it's legal right now, maybe it isn't, I don't know anymore, but I don't want to see hits to the head. Game is too fast and players get too severely injured.
I hope the NHL doesn't feel this way.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Froggy wrote:If Cooke's suspension was really about the Savard hit, then where was richards' 10+ game retroactive suspension for the booth hit?

It was about making an example out of someone, and once they acknowledged Cooke was public enemy #1, it was simply a matter of waiting for ANY screw up.
Ftw :thumb:
PSUBALL10

Post by PSUBALL10 »

Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie

When Keith's disciplinary hearing is held, expected to be a phone hearing, so suspension, if levied, cannot exceed five games.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Naturally.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Froggy wrote:If Cooke's suspension was really about the Savard hit, then where was richards' 10+ game retroactive suspension for the booth hit?

It was about making an example out of someone, and once they acknowledged Cooke was public enemy #1, it was simply a matter of waiting for ANY screw up.

Well, the Tyutin hit and the McDonagh hit gave the NHL the power to do whatever they wanted with cook. Has Richards done anything since the Booth hit to get suspended? (not committed a suspendable offense, cause I'm sure he's had some questionable hits, but has he been suspended? )
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

I don't think it's realistic to expect a Matt Cooke suspension because it doesn't appear that Keith has a suspension history, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Five games seems fair in that case because by their standards it is a pretty harsh sentance, especially for a guy who hasn't been subject to supplemental discipline before.

That really was an egregious elbow, though. Totally unnecessary and apparently intentional, and it caused what might be a significant injury on the eve of the playoffs. That one seemed to be personal and would be an easy one for them to punish relatively harshly.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:

The league went through the trouble of making an example of Cooke, which was fine, but if they followed through with all suspensions like that maybe you would have players take notice like Cooke did and make a change in their game.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

no name wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:

The league went through the trouble of making an example of Cooke, which was fine, but if they followed through with all suspensions like that maybe you would have players take notice like Cooke did and make a change in their game.
That's my point; in isolation, Cooke got what he deserved.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Henry Hank wrote:I don't think it's realistic to expect a Matt Cooke suspension because it doesn't appear that Keith has a suspension history, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Five games seems fair in that case because by their standards it is a pretty harsh sentance, especially for a guy who hasn't been subject to supplemental discipline before.

That really was an egregious elbow, though. Totally unnecessary and apparently intentional, and it caused what might be a significant injury on the eve of the playoffs. That one seemed to be personal and would be an easy one for them to punish relatively harshly.
Personally, I don't expect a "Matt Cooke Suspension", I expect 5-10 games (i.e. more than what he'll get).
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

columbia wrote:
no name wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:

Agreed. :thumb:
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

My question is... do you think Henrik felt it too?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I'm gonna put the over/under at 2.5 games.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I'll take the over. Keith will get the "star player maximum" which is 3 games.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Mr. Colby wrote:I'll take the over. Keith will get the "star player maximum" which is 3 games.
This
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

I believe MC will be correct.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penmyst »

Henry Hank wrote: That really was an egregious elbow, though. Totally unnecessary and apparently intentional, and it caused what might be a significant injury on the eve of the playoffs. That one seemed to be personal and would be an easy one for them to punish relatively harshly.
And when the league slaps him on the wrist, and they will; therein lies all you need to know about why the NHL cannot get a handle on this concussion thing.

This would be a pluperfect situation to drop the hammer. I don't think you could possibly come up with a more blatant elbow to the head. If they levelled a Cooke-like suspension for it: who the hell could argue against it?

Can we deny that Cooke was a valuable guy to the Pens when he got booted for 17 games (including the playoff series the Pens would lose without him)? But his irresponsible behavior, supposedly, led to the banhammer. And as Pens' fans, there was no legitimate case to be made for it being too severe since the league was supposedly "getting tough" on the cheapshots.

What I am saying here is that there will never be a better situation for the league to "get tough" on such reckless endangerment of another player.

It SHOULD have been a 5-minute Major. So the refs inside the game didn't even bother to "get tough" on such an assault.

And when they don't bother to assess much of a suspension for this, it will show what they aren't serious at all about stopping the hits to the head. Because they aren't serious about it.

Meanwhile, fans interested in seeing good clean hockey and upset about thuggery like this continuing to be permitted------- will be attacked as pansies and "not understanding hockey" etc. And another thug will scramble some guy's brain, maybe the brain of a superstar or maybe just some curtain-jerker, and the hockey "purist" goons can tell us "Nothing to see here! Move along!"
sharpshootr55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by sharpshootr55 »

Well what originally was going to be a conference call hearing, the NHL has indicated it now wants and in-person hearing according to Bob McKenzie. Keith has also not agreed to wave his right to an in-person hearing. No decision until the morning though. Really odd series of events.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

sharpshootr55 wrote:Well what originally was going to be a conference call hearing, the NHL has indicated it now wants and in-person hearing according to Bob McKenzie. Keith has also not agreed to wave his right to an in-person hearing. No decision until the morning though. Really odd series of events.
Hopefully they'll look at the recent Pronger and Wisniewski suspensions at the end of seasons over the past few years. Similar cheap shots. Intention was definitely there. We can only hope.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

You know I don't mind an honest play where a guy is just trying to make a hit and maybe gets his arms up a bit. Like Engelland's play earlier this season, even Ovechkin on Michalek. Sure, suspend them, but that stuff happens.

I'm much more worried about hits like Doan's the other night, like Rene Bourque on Backstrom, like Keith's last night. Those are nothing but dirty disgusting plays that have no place in the game. Backstrom hasn't even played a game since that dirty dirty cheapshot.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

what is wrong with these guys?

[youtube][/youtube]
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

It actually looked like Tanguay was trying to avoid pasting him into the decals.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Rylan wrote:It actually looked like Tanguay was trying to avoid pasting him into the decals.
Yeah, I thought it looked more accidental.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Not sure it was malicious, then again, no real reason to have your elbow up that high.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

pfim wrote:Not sure it was malicious, then again, no real reason to have your elbow up that high.
This is part of the reason why I think there should be an all-inclusive rule for headshots. You can't determine intent, but there is no reason Tanguay should have his elbow up there, like you said.

The players NEED to learn to keep elbows down. Period. There is no valid reason for players keeping their elbows at head level. None.