The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Word around the playground is that The Fan is going to hire Sid Bream to do their Pirates post-game show. I wonder if Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS will be brought up by any callers :pop:?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

IronDukes37 wrote:Current poll on the post gazette website (in the left column)

Who do you believe is the best Pittsburgh sports talk personality?
25% I have no strong opinion
11% Mark Madden
21% Bob Pompeani
28% Stan Savran
2% Joe Bendel
3% Ellis Cannon
3% Paul Alexander
7% Other
Mine would be Savran, Pomp, and then Madden.

Does John Fedko still exist?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Fedko has been put on the highschool beat. His career is mud.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

No rocco demaro on the post game=not pleased.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

fedko is the president of vincentian academy now
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:No rocco demaro on the post game=not pleased.
i dont get this. the dude does quality work.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Agreed

one of the reasons why bob grove is good isnt becuase hes interesting (hes not, hes pretty boring sounding actually), but its easy to tell he geniunely gives a crap about the pirates. so does rocco. plus, rocco is actually interesting. kenny the kangaroo would much rather hear him than dan zangrilli, who is probably a good dude and a good baseball man, but rocco is exceptional. having an ex player work the pre and post game will suck, too.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Sunday Nightly Sports Call panel was awful last night. Does anyone think Pomp would ever invite Madden on the show? I've also wondered why Chris Mueller and Colin Dunlap are never on the panel. Either of those would make the panel more interesting and competent than it currently is. It seems like everyone else from The Fan has made an appearance at some point. :pop:
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Streaks House wrote:Sunday Nightly Sports Call panel was awful last night. Does anyone think Pomp would ever invite Madden on the show? I've also wondered why Chris Mueller and Colin Dunlap are never on the panel. Either of those would make the panel more interesting and competent than it currently is. It seems like everyone else from The Fan has made an appearance at some point. :pop:
Nope, here's the fan right now PIRATES! PIRATES! PIRATES! PIRATES!hockeyPITT! PITT! PITT! PITT! Steelers, Steelers PIRATES! PIRATES! PIRATES! PITT! PITT! PITT!
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

JS© wrote:
PghSkins wrote:
JS© wrote:
IronDukes37 wrote:Did anyone know there was a new Fox sports radio station in Pittsburgh??
AM540, can barely pick up the weak signal but it's there.
Petros Papadakis FTW!
that jabroni from Pros and Joes that shows up on Jim Rome's show occasionally? Meh.
Ugh, he's unlistenable.
I've heard worse. Much worse.

How does this man have a job? I mean, there's other sports broadcaster personalities that I don't like but I know people who like them / I can understand how they could be entertaining to others but not with Filliponi. Everyone I've ever talked to absolutely can't stomach him and I also can't imagine any appeal to him.

He was on Siebel (sp?), Starkey (sp?), and miller for about 40 minutes for some odd reasons and completely ruined the show. He started just blatantly disagreeing / almost getting in heated arguments with everything any of the others hosts said / even contradicting himself in order to do so to the point that the other 3 were just like "ummm what are you even talking about?" The only semi-amusing part was all the callers who added a point about him ruining the show lol

I don't really wish being fired on anyone, but idk he's just really, really, really, really bad at his job lol. I'm guessing he has some connection with someone high up in the station
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

IanMoran wrote:I don't really wish being fired on anyone, but idk he's just really, really, really, really bad at his job lol. I'm guessing he has some connection with someone high up in the station
Apparently once the Pirates season begins, Poni is getting bumped to the 10-2 slot and Mueller goes back to his 2-6am show. Unreal.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Wow. Mueller gets screwed on this? He's one of if not the best hosts on the Fan! 2-6??!
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Streaks House wrote:
IanMoran wrote:I don't really wish being fired on anyone, but idk he's just really, really, really, really bad at his job lol. I'm guessing he has some connection with someone high up in the station
Apparently once the Pirates season begins, Poni is getting bumped to the 10-2 slot and Mueller goes back to his 2-6am show. Unreal.
That's terrible. Mueller should keep his 10-2 and they should Poni back to 2-6. I can't think of one person who has said "You know, that Filiponi isn't such a bad host"....ever.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

JS© wrote:
Streaks House wrote:
That's terrible. Mueller should keep his 10-2 and they should Poni back to 2-6. I can't think of one person who has said "You know, that Filiponi isn't such a bad host"....ever.
Poni's career at the Fan can be summed up by him saying Bylsma should call out Paul Martin publicly and then screaming at Dejan when Dejan disagreed
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

On the odd chance Poni has an opinion I agree with, he's got an amazing knack of making me want to disagree. Last night was: WVU was not nearly good enough to warrant basically playing a home game in the tourney. Reasonable opinion that I agree with, especially when it is vs a better seed playing on the other side of the continent from their school.

Making fun of a caller 3x his age who disagreed- bad form. "Oh, so you've been a sports fan 66 years. Greaaaat."
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Mueller's problem is he's not from New York. The Fan's incompetent PD seems to favor the NY aspect of talk radio.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Poni is their Mark Madden without actually being right. Argumentative, contradictory, and people tune in just to hear what he's spewing.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

Malkamaniac wrote:Poni is their Mark Madden without actually being right. Argumentative, contradictory, and people tune in just to hear what he's spewing.
Bingo. Madden minus hockey knowledge = Poni
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

i like to listen to madden. i cannot listen to poni
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

For anyone still listening to Poni, maybe if you stop listening to him he'll go away.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

my thoughts exactly
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:my thoughts exactly
Which is why I refuse to listen. I'll randomly send texts in during the hours that he's on and ask why isn't he fired yet. Never got a response.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Lol at Madden = Poni . I've criticized / insulted Madden before but idk of anyone that would give Madden that low of a blow. Poni is completely talent-less

I immediately flip away when he comes on, if everything else is on commercial / I don't have a cd or anything and I flip him back on since I usually love sports radio I rarely can make it 2 minutes without me wanting to break my radio into pieces
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

IanMoran wrote:Lol at Madden = Poni . I've criticized / insulted Madden before but idk of anyone that would give Madden that low of a blow. Poni is completely talent-less

I immediately flip away when he comes on, if everything else is on commercial / I don't have a cd or anything and I flip him back on since I usually love sports radio I rarely can make it 2 minutes without me wanting to break my radio into pieces
In terms of general attitude and the way they handle callers? Poni is certainly trying to be like Madden. In terms of everything else? Madden doesn't compare.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Nuge wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Poni is their Mark Madden without actually being right. Argumentative, contradictory, and people tune in just to hear what he's spewing.
Bingo. Madden minus sports knowledge = Poni
fixed.

I don't listen to him, or should I say I listen to whatever point he's on for 30 seconds and move on. He's that one guy who constantly uses one point, insists he's right based on that point, and will repeat it over and over no matter what the argument is.