GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Streaks House »

Troegs Dream Weaver :thumb:
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Pitt87 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Tried Breckenridge Pandora's Bock last night. Pretty average.
I'm on the lookout for Bocks and Dunkels. So far, striking out. Sly fox is just OK, not buying more troeganator and Pious Monk is better at the Church. Suggestions?
Try Spaten Dunkel or Optimator. This might be my favorite, Weltenburger Kloster Asam-Bock
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1315/3606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Kraftster wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
I'm on the lookout for Bocks and Dunkels. So far, striking out. Sly fox is just OK, not buying more troeganator and Pious Monk is better at the Church. Suggestions?
You should get plenty of help here. Eismann and many others seem to be into the bocks these days.

Ayinger Celebrator (doppelbock)
Duck Rabbit Rabbator (doppel)
Schneider-Weiss Aventinus (Weizenbock)
Ayinger (weizenbock)
Anchor Bock

I can recommend all of those. As for the weizens, I don't find the Ayinger and S-W weizenbocks to be all that similar. The Ayinger is extremely easy to drink with almost no alcohol noticeable and much more wheaty and bananay. The Aventinus has a nice almost sour/winey taste and features some alcohol burn. Neither is heavy on the malty flavor you typically associate with bocks.

Honestly, though, Troegenator holds up against almost everything I've tried. I think Celebrator is considered the standard for doppels and I don't prefer it over Troegs.

Also check out Schwarzbiers. Köstritzer is the best, I think. Shiner is doing one now that I haven't tried yet. Magic Hat has a decent one -- Howl. Duck Rabbit is good too.
I spent a lot of time on German and Belgian Bocks and Lagers... I am looking for something craft and domestic... local even. Troegenator is one of my favorite beers, which is why I want to find more... Thanks for the suggestions.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I had Rivertowne Old Wylie's IPA this weekend. I took one sip and said, "Yep, tastes like Pittsburgh." It was almost as though they took IC Light and threw a bunch of hops into it and called it an IPA.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

stopper40 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Try Spaten Dunkel or Optimator. This might be my favorite, Weltenburger Kloster Asam-Bock
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1315/3606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Optimator... that is a good one. Haven't had it in a long time.

Thanks for the suggestions!
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

count2infinity wrote:I had Rivertowne Old Wylie's IPA this weekend. I took one sip and said, "Yep, tastes like Pittsburgh." It was almost as though they took IC Light and threw a bunch of hops into it and called it an IPA.
That's a shame. Their "Babbling Blonde" is a pretty good beer.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

llipgh2 wrote:Just bought a case of Walt Wit unfiltered Belgian white ale. Brewed by Philadelphia Brewery. Anyone had this before?
I thought they were pretty good. Had the pale ale, kenzinger and joe coffee porter. All were good but the Coffee porter and walt wit stood out for me
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I had a Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer this weekend. Alcoholic Kool-Aid! :thumb:
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Admin wrote:I had a Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer this weekend. Alcoholic Kool-Aid! :thumb:

That sounds awesome. I need to try it
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Pitt87 wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Optimator... that is a good one. Haven't had it in a long time.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I have a few at home. Think I'll enjoy a couple tonight
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stopper40 wrote:
Admin wrote:I had a Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer this weekend. Alcoholic Kool-Aid! :thumb:
Just be prepared for a full-on raspberry sensory assault. It's not messing around with its raspberry-ness. :scared:
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Admin wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
Just be prepared for a full-on raspberry sensory assault. It's not messing around with its raspberry-ness. :scared:

tart or sweet rasberry flavor?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stopper40 wrote:
Admin wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
tart or sweet rasberry flavor?
I'd say both. Slight malt aftertaste.

Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

count2infinity wrote:I had Rivertowne Old Wylie's IPA this weekend. I took one sip and said, "Yep, tastes like Pittsburgh." It was almost as though they took IC Light and threw a bunch of hops into it and called it an IPA.
I agree. Its a shame too. Id love to support a local brewery but the beer has to stand up. After Stone's & Founders IPA's the Old Wyllie was pretty disappointing.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Yeah, it didn't help that I had a Troegs Nugget Nectar right before hand.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I had Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar over the weekend. It was a very good beer, but I definitely think that beers like that just aren't my thing. Same with the Pumking and other pumpkin beers I've had, the flavor was just too in your face.

I'm more a fan of the subtle chocolate porters/stouts, etc.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I sampled dogfish head noble rot. It's like a beer and a white wine had a baby. I'd definitely have a glass some other time, but just wasn't in the mood for that last night, so i went with southern tier's double milk stout. good stuff.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

shafnutz05 wrote:I had Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar over the weekend. It was a very good beer, but I definitely think that beers like that just aren't my thing. Same with the Pumking and other pumpkin beers I've had, the flavor was just too in your face.

I'm more a fan of the subtle chocolate porters/stouts, etc.
I did enjoy the Hazelnut Brown. Had a couple of these last week: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15280/78023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Kraftster wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
You should get plenty of help here. Eismann and many others seem to be into the bocks these days.

Ayinger Celebrator (doppelbock)
Duck Rabbit Rabbator (doppel)
Schneider-Weiss Aventinus (Weizenbock)
Ayinger (weizenbock)
Anchor Bock

I can recommend all of those. As for the weizens, I don't find the Ayinger and S-W weizenbocks to be all that similar. The Ayinger is extremely easy to drink with almost no alcohol noticeable and much more wheaty and bananay. The Aventinus has a nice almost sour/winey taste and features some alcohol burn. Neither is heavy on the malty flavor you typically associate with bocks.

Honestly, though, Troegenator holds up against almost everything I've tried. I think Celebrator is considered the standard for doppels and I don't prefer it over Troegs.

Also check out Schwarzbiers. Köstritzer is the best, I think. Shiner is doing one now that I haven't tried yet. Magic Hat has a decent one -- Howl. Duck Rabbit is good too.
love Aventinus. wrote about that one a few weeks ago. drinking the Ayinger Weizen-bock tonight. not bad. considerably smoother than the aventinus. nice cloudy gold color, instead of dark brown and syrupy. considerably less ABV%, though. aventinus is almost 9%, and i think ayinger comes in around 7%. not bad, by any means.

the other night, i tried th Erdinger Hefe and the dark hefe. reasonably good, but not remarkably memorable.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Guinness draught from a bottle is a below average beer.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

MWB wrote:Guinness draught from a bottle is a below average beer.
Yep. I picked up a six pack of the new black lager the other day. I hope its decent.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Kraftster wrote:
Yep. I picked up a six pack of the new black lager the other day. I hope its decent.
I guess I'd never had it before in the bottle and thought I should get it over the extra stout. Poor choice. I like the black lager okay. Nothing special, but a solid, drinkable beer.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

MWB wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
I guess I'd never had it before in the bottle and thought I should get it over the extra stout. Poor choice. I like the black lager okay. Nothing special, but a solid, drinkable beer.
That's basically all I was expecting/hoping for.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I also picked up a 22 of Three Philosophers to drink this Friday after I file the brief I've been working on all week. I can't wait for that. Its been a while because I've been trying to sample a lot of new stuff, but I have no doubt it will be a marvelous reintroduction.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I nearly picked up Three Philosphers yesterday as well. Ended up passing. Not really sure why. Got a variety pack instead witha couple Bell's, Rogue porter, Founders porter, Duck Rabbit porter, Brooklyn brown, and Highlands stout.