Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by bh »

shmenguin wrote:To me, putting on as you start merging is just as bad as not putting it on at all. But I see what you mean... Just feel that you should put your turn signal on early if you're gonna pull out in front of me so I know to not pick up speed before.
here in MD when you put your turn signal on, the other driver speeds up to block you from getting in front of them. Uber aggressive driving around here.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

bh wrote:
shmenguin wrote:To me, putting on as you start merging is just as bad as not putting it on at all. But I see what you mean... Just feel that you should put your turn signal on early if you're gonna pull out in front of me so I know to not pick up speed before.
here in MD when you put your turn signal on, the other driver speeds up to block you from getting in front of them. Uber aggressive driving around here.
I mean, I understand it if there's idiots who will do it, but when it's just normal driving, fair warning would be nice instead of making sudden merges.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:3. Indecisiveness. I swear when my wife has a shopping cart, time stops and indecisiveness sets in. I could probably pick-up at least 90% of our order in the time it takes her to pick out her Lean Cuisine lunches. Then she asks me my opinion on each one (if they are good). Honey, my goal each week is to eat at Uncle Sam's for lunch as many days as possible. I am probably not the right person to ask if this 90 calorie frozen meal is good.
Earlier today, at the Iggle, I was pushing my cart (one of the rare instances where I needed a cart vs. loading an ungodly amount of stuff into the carrying basket) up an aisle and there is a woman all up in the frozen food freezer. Her cart is at the end of the aisle, diagonally across the aisle. She's a good 5 steps - 2 freezer sections from her cart. It's not off to the side or even parallel in the middle of the aisle - it's diagonal. Like she was trying to block it on purpose. I wait about 15 seconds, then her shopping partner buddy (another woman) comes up and puts her cart at the entrance to the aisle - further blocking the way. She starts to talk to her shopping buddy, who is but-deep into the freezer section.

So glad I had a cart. Normally, I'd just pull a blocking cart out of the way, but I straight-on bulldozed the offending blocker's cart outta the way. And not just outta the way, but all the way to the checkout line.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Pensrock wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
Pensrock wrote:My irrational Pet peeve is when an obiturary of an 80 year who just died has a picture of them when they were 30.

No idea why that drives me nuts but it does. It is the family's choice obviously what picture they want with the obituary but for some reason that drive me nuts.
My dad always sees those and goes, "Son, please whatever you do -- do not put a picture of me in my obituary."
I don't even mind pictures so much, but when someone dies at the age of say 80 or 90 and they have a picture of that person from 50 years ago when they were 30, it drives me nuts.
Maybe most guys don't let anyone take pictures of them after 30? Getting a visual of a 75 year old man sitting in a recliner with a can of cheep beer. A white wife beater tee would be the perfect shot.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

People who drive the scooters around the grocery store with no regard for the pedestrians.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I am peeved at red-light creepers. These are people who, when waiting for a light to turn green, creep forward a few inches, then stop, then creep forward a few inches, then stop, etc. By the time the light turns green they are well over the “stop here” line or sign, if not actually sticking out into the intersection itself. Hey, buddy, you can’t sneak up on a green light, so give it up.

I am peeved at people who wait for an elevator by standing directly in front with their heads practically pressed against the door. They always seem gobsmacked to find that someone is on the elevator who wants to get off. Do they not realize that elevators are not, in fact, their own personal transportation devices, and other people may be using them too?

I am peeved at Three Stars for not changing the name of this treat to reflect the fact that most (not all, but most) of the peeves contained herein are rational, not irrational.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Shyster wrote:I am peeved at red-light creepers. These are people who, when waiting for a light to turn green, creep forward a few inches, then stop, then creep forward a few inches, then stop, etc. By the time the light turns green they are well over the “stop here” line or sign, if not actually sticking out into the intersection itself. Hey, buddy, you can’t sneak up on a green light, so give it up.
I do this (minus the whole sticking out into the intersection part) when there's no one going through the greens.

Some lights run on sensors, so I feel like if I position the car the right way, it'll trip the sensor. It's annoying sitting at a light for 5 minutes when nobody is coming either way.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i've seen maybe 1 or 2 instances in my entire life where the sensor didn't work even though a car was at the appropriate spot. in 99.999% of the cases, there's no need to creep to set off sensors. just go up to the line.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

shmenguin wrote:i've seen maybe 1 or 2 instances in my entire life where the sensor didn't work even though a car was at the appropriate spot. in 99.999% of the cases, there's no need to creep to set off sensors. just go up to the line.
What if your front tires are just over the line?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

stop sooner
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I get incredibly irritated when people want to get somewhere faster and run a recently changed red light in Pittsburgh only to completely block the intersection.

If it's yellow and there's a car on top of the crosswalk on the other side of the road, just wait your turn as you're only about to make all the people who waited at the red light want to kill you because mostly likely you've again made them wait another light.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Malkamaniac wrote:I get incredibly irritated when people want to get somewhere faster and run a recently changed red light in Pittsburgh only to completely block the intersection.

If it's yellow and there's a car on top of the crosswalk on the other side of the road, just wait your turn as you're only about to make all the people who waited at the red light want to kill you because mostly likely you've again made them wait another light.
I got stuck on Grant Street for like 15 minutes, just to go the distance of one light because of this. It really irratates me. I'd love to just blow the horn the whole time they are blocking the intersection, but I think it's unfair to punish everyone else in the traffic, so I don't.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

newarenanow wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I get incredibly irritated when people want to get somewhere faster and run a recently changed red light in Pittsburgh only to completely block the intersection.

I got stuck on Grant Street for like 15 minutes, just to go the distance of one light because of this. It really irratates me. I'd love to just blow the horn the whole time they are blocking the intersection, but I think it's unfair to punish everyone else in the traffic, so I don't.
Yea when I'm on Grant it frequently happens. I understand that you want to get home, but talk about totally being selfish to the max. You're effectively screwing everyone else so you can get home maybe 30 seconds sooner depending on traffic elsewhere. I really wish the worst on people who do this.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Shyster wrote: I am peeved at people who wait for an elevator by standing directly in front with their heads practically pressed against the door. They always seem gobsmacked to find that someone is on the elevator who wants to get off. Do they not realize that elevators are not, in fact, their own personal transportation devices, and other people may be using them too?
This one bothers me as well. Step back and let me off the elevator.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Could we change the thread title to 'Things that piss you off" or something? Because a lot of these are rational. I know that anything that pisses me off is rational to me.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

newarenanow wrote:
Shyster wrote: I am peeved at people who wait for an elevator by standing directly in front with their heads practically pressed against the door. They always seem gobsmacked to find that someone is on the elevator who wants to get off. Do they not realize that elevators are not, in fact, their own personal transportation devices, and other people may be using them too?
This one bothers me as well. Step back and let me off the elevator.
i don't mind it because you get to make a big deal about it. try to play the this way no that way jostle with them. or just openly make a surprised and irritated gesture at them.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

haha, the elevator thing happens to me all the time in my building. The difference is, the Philadelphians with a chip on their shoulder will just bowl past me as I'm trying to step off.

Another pet peeve? When buses and trucks stop at every railroad crossing, INCLUDING CROSSINGS THAT HAVE CLEARLY BEEN ABANDONED SINCE ROUGHLY THE 1920S.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

S'the law, man
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i hate being read to. my wife will find some interesting story on the internet or whatever and read me a few sentences from it. it drives me bonkers. i guess that's kind of irrational.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

shmenguin wrote:i hate being read to. my wife will find some interesting story on the internet or whatever and read me a few sentences from it. it drives me bonkers. i guess that's kind of irrational.
haha, I know what you mean. If it's 1 sentence someone wants to read, that's fine. Once you get to like 3 or 4 sentences, I'm annoyed. Let me read it myself.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

People who get a big tax refund and act like they hit the lottery. A guy at work laughed at me because I owed a little bit to Federal and was spot on state. He got ~$6000 back. He goes through peoples garbage to find metal to take to the scrap yard for $ to pay medical bills for him & his wife. Guess what numb nuts, you could've had another $500/month in your bank acct.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

People that believe a wine tasting festival means you must try them all until you're loaded enough to actually buy something. Did you ever think that you should decide which 3 (5 at most) you want to try first based on personal preference. Mixing multiple wines kills your taste sensors and will likely end up with a selection of some sweet fruity purchase (similar to many low end mass produced products). When you insist on trying them all it also creates frustration by the winery employees and those waiting behind you in line. Just an observation from the weekend. Most observed customers ended up buying wine that will make them wonder why they chose it next month. Then again, maybe they just wanted to get blistered.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Toilet paper roll holders mounted in locations that require yoga-like dexterity to access.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Eismann wrote:Toilet paper roll holders mounted in locations that require yoga-like dexterity to access.
good one, worst I've seen is mounted so when you get up you bang your knee off it every time.