Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Shyster »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Shyster, do you have any aspirations to serve on the bench someday? I get the feeling I'd hate arguing a case before you :)
Argument? I’d dismiss your case on a technical rules violation long before you got to argument. :wink:
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

stopper40 wrote:Another one I have is people who won't put their carts in the cart return, got into it with a guy in the Walmart parking lot Friday night actually
That's not irrational.

I once had some person who was too lazy to put their cart in the corral directly behind my car as i was about to back out of a parking spot. I had some special colorful languate for him.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Yeah, and if that cart dings up your car, you're basically SOL. The stores are not responsible for anything that happens in the parking lots.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Froggy wrote:re: self checkout. you should not be doing self checkout if you fall in to both of these criteria...

1)you have a lot of stuff to buy

2)you are shopping alone

having to bag all your crap only after you finish your purchase is just bad form
So being single in an area where I have no family means I lose self-checkout privileges? :wink:

I'm generally quick at it, and being that I rarely buy more than 15 items I can have my stuff bagged in a minute as long as Johnny Impatient isn't rifling his stuff down the belt before I even get my receipt pulled from the machine. Yes, this happened yesterday. I guess he couldn't wait 30 seconds for me to bag 10 items.
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by sj? »

When ridiculous is spelled ~ rediculous ! :evil:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

JS© wrote:
Froggy wrote:re: self checkout. you should not be doing self checkout if you fall in to both of these criteria...

2)you are shopping alone

having to bag all your crap only after you finish your purchase is just bad form
So being single in an area where I have no family means I lose self-checkout privileges? :wink:

I'm generally quick at it, and being that I rarely buy more than 15 items I can have my stuff bagged in a minute as long as Johnny Impatient isn't rifling his stuff down the belt before I even get my receipt pulled from the machine. Yes, this happened yesterday. I guess he couldn't wait 30 seconds for me to bag 10 items.
I am with ya on that one. The same goes for debit card minimums, make me have to pay a fee just to get cash. Jerks.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by 60sixx »

sj? wrote:When ridiculous is spelled ~ rediculous ! :evil:
YES. Good call. :thumb:
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

JS© wrote:

2)you are shopping alone

Again, my peeve is when both conditions are met. If you have only a few items, no problem. I'm talking about the people who buy like $200 worth of stuff and dont have anyone to help them bag, so they need to stop every 20 seconds because the bagging area is full.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

People who have to have control over everything then fail to take responsibility when there are mistakes made. I have a job and responsibilities that go along with that job. If you are going to do it all and make mistakes, don't yell at me for taking too long. Just pass it along to me and I'll do my job. You do yours and hand me more deals to get financed and paperwork to do. If you want my job then fine we can switch. Don't screw my stuff up then complain I take too long ******! Oh and if you want all the credit when things are good you better step up when things aren't instead of saying its everyone else's fault. AND if I hear you taking credit for my hard work bartering with the banks to get someone's deal financed because they haven't paid anything in the last 5 years I will belittle you infront of them and call you out on it.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

+1
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

While we are on the subject of grocery stores...

Anytime the wife and I go to a store that requires a shopping cart (grocery store, Sam's Club, Target), she INSISTS that she pushes the cart every time. Totally irrational, but it drives me crazy for the following reasons...

1. Moves incredibly slow. It's not that we need to rush through the store, but I like to move at a decent pace. This is not in her vocabulary. Each week in Giant Eagle, she has to do a cavity search of the granola bar section to make sure that some hippy didn't invent a new flavor. Get the variety box and let's move on.

2. Doesn't take others into consideration when stopping the cart. I try to be courteous to others around me when shopping - i.e. don't block the isles, making sure that I leave room for people to look at the same display / section that I am, etc. When we are shopping, it is almost like everyone else is invisible to her.

3. Indecisiveness. I swear when my wife has a shopping cart, time stops and indecisiveness sets in. I could probably pick-up at least 90% of our order in the time it takes her to pick out her Lean Cuisine lunches. Then she asks me my opinion on each one (if they are good). Honey, my goal each week is to eat at Uncle Sam's for lunch as many days as possible. I am probably not the right person to ask if this 90 calorie frozen meal is good.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

are we married to the same person?
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:While we are on the subject of grocery stores...

Anytime the wife and I go to a store that requires a shopping cart (grocery store, Sam's Club, Target), she INSISTS that she pushes the cart every time. Totally irrational, but it drives me crazy for the following reasons...

1. Moves incredibly slow. It's not that we need to rush through the store, but I like to move at a decent pace. This is not in her vocabulary. Each week in Giant Eagle, she has to do a cavity search of the granola bar section to make sure that some hippy didn't invent a new flavor. Get the variety box and let's move on.

2. Doesn't take others into consideration when stopping the cart. I try to be courteous to others around me when shopping - i.e. don't block the isles, making sure that I leave room for people to look at the same display / section that I am, etc. When we are shopping, it is almost like everyone else is invisible to her.
:lol: Are you married to my ex? :pop:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

she sounds like the type of lady that drives me nuts in the stores, cswe.

the ones that stop in the middle of the crowded stores just to turn their cart around the other direction while 5 people surround him/her...
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

canaan wrote:are we married to the same person?
lol, I didn't think that I would be alone with my gripes.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pensrock »

My irrational Pet peeve is when an obiturary of an 80 year who just died has a picture of them when they were 30.

No idea why that drives me nuts but it does. It is the family's choice obviously what picture they want with the obituary but for some reason that drive me nuts.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

stopper40 wrote:

+1
Ugh! Indeed!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Pensrock wrote:My irrational Pet peeve is when an obiturary of an 80 year who just died has a picture of them when they were 30.

No idea why that drives me nuts but it does. It is the family's choice obviously what picture they want with the obituary but for some reason that drive me nuts.
My dad always sees those and goes, "Son, please whatever you do -- do not put a picture of me in my obituary."
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pensrock »

TheHammer24 wrote:
Pensrock wrote:My irrational Pet peeve is when an obiturary of an 80 year who just died has a picture of them when they were 30.

My dad always sees those and goes, "Son, please whatever you do -- do not put a picture of me in my obituary."
I don't even mind pictures so much, but when someone dies at the age of say 80 or 90 and they have a picture of that person from 50 years ago when they were 30, it drives me nuts.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I recently identified a peeve that I did myself, and I corrected that behavior. Turn signals on the highway are supposed to be used to signal that you are about to change lanes. But many drivers activate the turn signals at the same time they start to move over, which really renders their use moot. I must admit that I did that myself on occasion. Now, I wait for at least three blinks before I will start to move over. And yes, I do this even when nobody else is around.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Shyster wrote:I recently identified a peeve that I did myself, and I corrected that behavior. Turn signals on the highway are supposed to be used to signal that you are about to change lanes. But many drivers activate the turn signals at the same time they start to move over, which really renders their use moot. I must admit that I did that myself on occasion. Now, I wait for at least three blinks before I will start to move over. And yes, I do this even when nobody else is around.
i only put my signal on when i know it's clear to shift lanes. and since that's the case, i only put it on a moment before i start shifting. i guess i irrationally peeve you.

at least i put it on, though. people who don't use it at all drive me bonkers.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

shmenguin wrote:
Shyster wrote:I recently identified a peeve that I did myself, and I corrected that behavior. Turn signals on the highway are supposed to be used to signal that you are about to change lanes. But many drivers activate the turn signals at the same time they start to move over, which really renders their use moot. I must admit that I did that myself on occasion. Now, I wait for at least three blinks before I will start to move over. And yes, I do this even when nobody else is around.
i only put my signal on when i know it's clear to shift lanes. and since that's the case, i only put it on a moment before i start shifting. i guess i irrationally peeve you.

To me, putting on as you start merging is just as bad as not putting it on at all. But I see what you mean... Just feel that you should put your turn signal on early if you're gonna pull out in front of me so I know to not pick up speed before.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

To me, putting on as you start merging is just as bad as not putting it on at all. But I see what you mean... Just feel that you should put your turn signal on early if you're gonna pull out in front of me so I know to not pick up speed before.
i don't pull out in front of people, though. i only change lanes if no one is affected. and of course if i absolutely need to get over immediately for whatever reason, i signal first, and wait until someone lets me in.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:its the guy who uses the turn signal the second he moves. whats the point of that. the turn signal is meant to signal the intention to turn. when you turn in to mcdonalds, you dont turn your blinker on right as you turn into parking lot, that is how you get your **** wrecked
hah i thought this had been covered last year
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I know Madden covered this on his show either this week or last week, but roadside crosses bother me.