Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by newarenanow »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Baggers at grocery stores that have no clue. I put like items together on the belt so that they are bagged together, so when the bagger mixes everything up, it drives me nuts. Also drives me crazy when they put too much stuff on one bag, thus causing the bag to rip.

Whenever I have the chance (i.e. if there is no bagger in my line), I bag the groceries myself (Never been a cashier, but I am sure that they appreciate it). Good baggers are under appreciated, IMO. They also get promoted to cashier faster, so their excellence in bagging is usually short lived :sad:
I used to bag groceries in high school at ShopNSave. We were taught to put all poisonous materials in one bag so it doesn't touch your food, eggs and bread in a seperate bag, frozens in another, heavy like a gallon of milk or 2 liter soda in their own, and then everything else is fair game.

I thought I'd get to be cashier, until the manager got mad at me when I was going to restock the milk one day and I dumped over 4 of those plastic cartons of milk, having 16 gallons of milk blow up and spill in the milk aisle. As a high school kid, seeing that happen was awesome.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

newarenanow wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Baggers at grocery stores that have no clue. I put like items together on the belt so that they are bagged together, so when the bagger mixes everything up, it drives me nuts. Also drives me crazy when they put too much stuff on one bag, thus causing the bag to rip.

Whenever I have the chance (i.e. if there is no bagger in my line), I bag the groceries myself (Never been a cashier, but I am sure that they appreciate it). Good baggers are under appreciated, IMO. They also get promoted to cashier faster, so their excellence in bagging is usually short lived :sad:
I used to bag groceries in high school at ShopNSave. We were taught to put all poisonous materials in one bag so it doesn't touch your food, eggs and bread in a seperate bag, frozens in another, heavy like a gallon of milk or 2 liter soda in their own, and then everything else is fair game.

I thought I'd get to be cashier, until the manager got mad at me when I was going to restock the milk one day and I dumped over 4 of those plastic cartons of milk, having 16 gallons of milk blow up and spill in the milk aisle. As a high school kid, seeing that happen was awesome.
The Giant Eagle that I go to, the baggers are usually on top of things. The girl that did my bagging yesterday put cereal, pickles, french fries, and cans of dog food all in one bag. She must have been new.

I also asked her to put my milk in a bag, and she was totally annoyed by that.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I rather bag my own groceries too. I think I may just ask that they don't do it since they seem to screw it up all the time.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I use the self-checkout lanes at Giant Eagle so I don't have to interact with other humans in any way.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Shyster wrote:I use the self-checkout lanes at Giant Eagle so I don't have to interact with other humans in any way.
A mild pet peeve with self checkout lines is when they don't have an entry for certain items that have to be weighed. I get Jazz apples, but those haven't been in the computer there for years. I just click Braeburn.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Pet peeve... Asians trying to work the self check-out. not only do they have an entire shopping cart full of stuff, but they also can't figure out how to work the things. I'm not deliberately trying to be racist, but every time i see it, they're Asian.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I've seen all kinds of people who go to self-checkout and don't have any clue how to do it...

Another thing grocery related:

When a store only has 2 or 3 lanes open, the lines are long, there's no self-checkout, and you have maybe 2 or 3 things.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

This normally wouldn't be in this thread, but after C2I's post I thought it appropriate:
ESPN has fired one employee and suspended another for using the same racist word in connection to New York Knicks' guard Jeremy Lin.

In both cases, an employee used the word "chink" in reference to Lin, a Palo Alto, California, native of Chinese descent.

"We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin," ESPN wrote. "His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future."

The fired employee used the word in a mobile headline -- "Chink in the Armor" -- after the Knicks lost to the New Orleans Hornets Friday night.

"I don't think it was on purpose or whatever, but (at) the same time they have apologized. And so from my end I don't care anymore," Lin said after leading the Knicks to a 104-97 win over Dallas on Sunday. "Have to learn to forgive, and I don't even think that was intentional. Or hopefully not."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 3448.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Ooh, there's another one of mine: referring to some subset of people as, "the _______ community"... as in, "the Asian-American community".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

To keep adding, political correctness is a pet peeve. If you're that bothered by something someone says, you need to take a long hard look at your life priorities.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

MRandall25 wrote:When a store only has 2 or 3 lanes open, the lines are long, there's no self-checkout, and you have maybe 2 or 3 things.
Or the store has self-checkout lanes, but they’re turned off. The Giant Eagle in Cranberry is a repeat violator on this one, in my experience. On multiple occasions I’ve been in there late at night and they will have only one lane with a cashier, and all of the self-checkout lanes are turned off. Wouldn’t that be a perfect time to have them on?

Also, the voice at the self-checkout lane at the GE I go to the most asks you to “sign your signature on the line” when paying with credit card. A signature is signed; the instruction is redundant. It bugs me every time I hear it. It should say sign on the line, or put your signature on the line. Not both.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Shyster wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:When a store only has 2 or 3 lanes open, the lines are long, there's no self-checkout, and you have maybe 2 or 3 things.
Or the store has self-checkout lanes, but they’re turned off. The Giant Eagle in Cranberry is a repeat violator on this one, in my experience. On multiple occasions I’ve been in there late at night and they will have only one lane with a cashier, and all of the self-checkout lanes are turned off. Wouldn’t that be a perfect time to have them on?

Also, the voice at the self-checkout lane at the GE I go to the most asks you to “sign your signature on the line” when paying with credit card. A signature is signed; the instruction is redundant. It bugs me every time I hear it. It should say sign on the line, or put your signature on the line. Not both.
Shyster, do you have any aspirations to serve on the bench someday? I get the feeling I'd hate arguing a case before you :)
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

When ordering food to bring home and I'm on the phone with the finacee I tell her what the options are and she always goes, "What do you think is good?" Listen sweetheart, I'm not the one eating said food. You are. What I like doesn't matter.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

re: self checkout. you should not be doing self checkout if you fall in to both of these criteria...

1)you have a lot of stuff to buy

2)you are shopping alone

having to bag all your crap only after you finish your purchase is just bad form
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

ExPatriatePen wrote:This normally wouldn't be in this thread, but after C2I's post I thought it appropriate:
ESPN has fired one employee and suspended another for using the same racist word in connection to New York Knicks' guard Jeremy Lin.

In both cases, an employee used the word "chink" in reference to Lin, a Palo Alto, California, native of Chinese descent.

"We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin," ESPN wrote. "His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future."

The fired employee used the word in a mobile headline -- "Chink in the Armor" -- after the Knicks lost to the New Orleans Hornets Friday night.

"I don't think it was on purpose or whatever, but (at) the same time they have apologized. And so from my end I don't care anymore," Lin said after leading the Knicks to a 104-97 win over Dallas on Sunday. "Have to learn to forgive, and I don't even think that was intentional. Or hopefully not."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 3448.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yeah, i didn't see the website that day, but i saw a screenshot of it. couldn't help but think "who thought that was a good idea?"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Froggy wrote:re: self checkout. you should not be doing self checkout if you fall in to both of these criteria...

2)you are shopping alone

having to bag all your crap only after you finish your purchase is just bad form

Not sure I agree with 2. I go grocery shopping probably once ever 3 days since I only buy enough for lunch and dinner for a few days. The self checkout doesn't allow you to scan another item until you bag the last one. I'm pretty fast at it.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Froggy wrote:re: self checkout. you should not be doing self checkout if you fall in to both of these criteria...

2)you are shopping alone

Not sure I agree with 2. I go grocery shopping probably once ever 3 days since I only buy enough for lunch and dinner for a few days. The self checkout doesn't allow you to scan another item until you bag the last one. I'm pretty fast at it.
it's not one or the other.. it's both. i can't stand when people scan a cart full of stuff and then i have to wait for them to bag it all. if you have a cart full of stuff, go see a cashier.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Pavel Bure wrote:When ordering food to bring home and I'm on the phone with the finacee I tell her what the options are and she always goes, "What do you think is good?" Listen sweetheart, I'm not the one eating said food. You are. What I like doesn't matter.
:lol: You should pick something you know she'd never eat.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

even if you have a cart full of stuff and someone with you... just go to the cashier. they can do it faster than you can and you're not holding up the people that have 2 things and can do self checkout in 1 minute or less.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Froggy wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:

2)you are shopping alone

it's not one or the other.. it's both. i can't stand when people scan a cart full of stuff and then i have to wait for them to bag it all. if you have a cart full of stuff, go see a cashier.
Gotcha. I only carry the baskets, if I use anything at all. But yeah I do hate it when someone has a cart buying a family of fours weekly groceries at the self checkout.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

count2infinity wrote:even if you have a cart full of stuff and someone with you... just go to the cashier. they can do it faster than you can and you're not holding up the people that have 2 things and can do self checkout in 1 minute or less.
well, i can let it slide if it's two people operating with efficiency. i just cant take what ammounts to waiting for the same person twice
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I really can't take people who wear their glasses on the end of their nose anymore. I just want to smack them off.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Pavel Bure wrote:When ordering food to bring home and I'm on the phone with the finacee I tell her what the options are and she always goes, "What do you think is good?" Listen sweetheart, I'm not the one eating said food. You are. What I like doesn't matter.
When I was in college, I worked at a pizza joint. People would call for delivery/pick-up and tell me their order by saying, "I need..." this or that, or, "give me..." this or that... For some reason, that would just irritate me. It still does when I overhear someone ordering food that way, today...
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

count2infinity wrote:even if you have a cart full of stuff and someone with you... just go to the cashier. they can do it faster than you can and you're not holding up the people that have 2 things and can do self checkout in 1 minute or less.
Then I have to deal with my irrational pet peeve of dealing with a human cashier.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

PghSkins wrote:
Then I have to deal with my irrational pet peeve of dealing with a human cashier.

Would it be an Irrational Pet Peeve if I get ticked off when someone takes more the 10 items through the 10 items or less line? I usually start saying things like "next time you're here, please learn to read or count, preferably both"

Another one I have is people who won't put their carts in the cart return, got into it with a guy in the Walmart parking lot Friday night actually