GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by pittsoccer33 »

is it zima? the first thing i thought of when i heard the name was that it would be silver
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shafnutz05 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Harpoon Winter Warmer - Might be one of the worst beers I've ever had. Absolutely disgusting.
heh. this is the first i've heard of someone not loving this beer. not just "liking", but loving.
After drinking it I went on beeradvocate, and it was reviewed horribly, so I felt better about my personal taste.

Winter Warmer is my favorite x-mas/winter beer.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

pittsoccer33 wrote:is it zima? the first thing i thought of when i heard the name was that it would be silver
Nope. Just served in a blue bottle.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Tried a few new ones tonight:

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald (porter): One of the greatest beers I have ever tasted, and most assuredly the greatest porter I've ever had. I cannot recommend this beer enough.

Southern Tier 2x Stout: Pretty decent, I enjoy milk stouts and it didn't disappoint.

Anchor Steam Ale: Solid as always.

Where did you try the Southern Tier? I've been looking fo his and haven't found it yet.

I'll make it a point to try the Edmund Fitzgerald
I tried them both (as I try all new beers) in the make your own 6 pack section at Wegman's.

I found it and to say I was disappointed is an understatement
Last edited by stopper40 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/119/53767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wolavers Coffee Porter. Quite good. Coffee flavor, but not overpowering.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Drinking a 22oz of Arrogant Bastard (not sure if that word will show up, but it's the word for a person born of unmarried parents). Not totally sold on it. Will probably be one of those that is better as the bottle goes, but it's not something I will be getting too often.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Wow stopper, do you not like porters in general? That was a fantastic porter, IMO. To each his own though
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Wow stopper, do you not like porters in general? That was a fantastic porter, IMO. To each his own though

I love a good porter, it was the Southern Tier 2x milk Stout I was disappointed in. It was ordinary, not the quality I've come to expect from them. Truthfully I'd rather drink Duck Rabbit Milk stout, way better in my opinion.

On another note, on the 25th of this month Barley's and Hop's is doing a beer and cheese tasting. If you're interested get there and sign up since they only do it for about 30 people
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Ah, yeah, I understand the difference in opinion on the milk stout. You'll like Edmund Fitzgerald though.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

not a great beer - solid for 3 though - but i've enjoyed saporro with sushi lately. miller lite start with a heavier finish. mix of yuengling and miller lite maybe. i could drink a case of it.

/nonmicrobrewtalk
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

6 pack of 16 oz Oranjeboom from Trader Joe's. Let's see how these are. First one was alright but wasn't cold enough. Now drinking a cold one.

Basically I agree with the overwhelming response on Beer Advocate. Nothing too good but nothing too bad. Basically a more drinkable (and cheaper) Heinekin.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

was going to fatheads cleveland last night to try some of their brews. was an hour wait, so we went to a mexican joint instead. ended up with dos equis :(.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

bhaw wrote:Drinking a 22oz of Arrogant Bastard (not sure if that word will show up, but it's the word for a person born of unmarried parents). Not totally sold on it. Will probably be one of those that is better as the bottle goes, but it's not something I will be getting too often.
Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorite beers... even better is the oaked version of it. i find it delicious and reading the bottle makes me laugh every time.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

count2infinity wrote:
bhaw wrote:Drinking a 22oz of Arrogant Bastard (not sure if that word will show up, but it's the word for a person born of unmarried parents). Not totally sold on it. Will probably be one of those that is better as the bottle goes, but it's not something I will be getting too often.
Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorite beers... even better is the oaked version of it. i find it delicious and reading the bottle makes me laugh every time.
The bottle is hilarious. "You probably won't like this beer."

It's not bad, but I'm not as big of a fan of it as the vast majority of beer tasters seem to be. I consider it a solid all around beer when you take into account taste, price, ABV, etc, but I don't see it being too regular for me.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Also, reading Beer Advocate makes me want to murder people. It's freaking beer. Their reviews remind me of wine people who talk about the flavors, smell, etc. Just drink it. If you like it, it's good. You try to sound like you know what you're talking about, but if you took away the label and told them to guess what kind of beer/wine it was, they'd probably go 1 for 10. (I actually got to see that theory in action about 7 years ago... a bunch of serious wine people in a room guessing what kinds of wine it was... no one got any of them right. When they asked me what I thought it was, I just said "good." They didn't think I was that funny :( ).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I feel the same about stuff like that... makes me want to kick puppies. (or would it be yuppies in that case?)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

the wicked child wrote:I feel the same about stuff like that... makes me want to kick puppies. (or would it be yuppies in that case?)
yuppies' puppies?
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Best 15 beers in the world, according to "RateBeer Best 2012":

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46327587?slide=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

15. Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel
Brewed by Mikkeller
Style: Imperial Stout
Origin: Copenhagen, Denmark

14. Fonteinen’s Armand’4 Oude Geuze Lente
Brewed by 3 Fonteinen
Style: Lambic - Geuze
Origin: Beersel, Belgium

13. Three Floyds’ Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout
Brewed by Three Floyds Brewing
Origin: Munster, Ind.

12. Bell’s Expedition Stout
Brewed by Bells Brewery
Origin: Kalamazoo, Mich.

11. Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout
Brewed by Cigar City Brewing
Origin: Tampa, Fla.

10. Deschutes Brewery’s The Abyss
Brewed by Deschutes Brewery
Origin: Bend, Ore.

9. AleSmith’s Speedway Stout
Brewed by AleSmith Brewing Company
Origin: San Diego

8. Passionfruit and Dragonfruit Berliner Weisse
Brewed by Cigar City Brewing
Style: Berliner Weisse
Origin: Tampa, Fla.

7. Russian River’s Pliny the Younger
Brewed by Russian River Brewing
Style: Imperial / Triple India Pale Ale
Origin: Santa Rosa, Calif.

6. Bell’s Hopslam
Brewed by Bells Brewery
Style: Imperial / Double IPA
Origin: Kalamazoo, Mich.

5. Rochefort's Trappistes 10
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Origin: Rochefort, Belgium

4. Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
Brewed by Founders Brewing
Style: Imperial Breakfast Stout
Origin: Grand Rapids, Mich.

3. Rare Bourbon County Stout (Retired)
Formerly brewed by Goose Island Beer Company
Origin: Chicago, Illinois

2. Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter
Brewed by Närke Kulturbryggeri
Origin: Örebro, Sweden

1. Westvleteren 12
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Origin: Westvleteren, Belgium
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

bhaw wrote:Also, reading Beer Advocate makes me want to murder people. It's freaking beer. Their reviews remind me of wine people who talk about the flavors, smell, etc. Just drink it. If you like it, it's good. You try to sound like you know what you're talking about, but if you took away the label and told them to guess what kind of beer/wine it was, they'd probably go 1 for 10. (I actually got to see that theory in action about 7 years ago... a bunch of serious wine people in a room guessing what kinds of wine it was... no one got any of them right. When they asked me what I thought it was, I just said "good." They didn't think I was that funny :( ).
I agree Beer Advocate can be a joke. However, the overall scores are a pretty good barometer of whether or not I'll like a beer. I don't even pay attention to all of the other nonsense crap on there (i.e. the color, head, etc).
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i've had #6 and #4
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

shafnutz05 wrote:
bhaw wrote:Also, reading Beer Advocate makes me want to murder people. It's freaking beer. Their reviews remind me of wine people who talk about the flavors, smell, etc. Just drink it. If you like it, it's good. You try to sound like you know what you're talking about, but if you took away the label and told them to guess what kind of beer/wine it was, they'd probably go 1 for 10. (I actually got to see that theory in action about 7 years ago... a bunch of serious wine people in a room guessing what kinds of wine it was... no one got any of them right. When they asked me what I thought it was, I just said "good." They didn't think I was that funny :( ).
I agree Beer Advocate can be a joke. However, the overall scores are a pretty good barometer of whether or not I'll like a beer. I don't even pay attention to all of the other nonsense crap on there (i.e. the color, head, etc).
lol, I can understand the hate of something like that, which can drip with condescension from time to time, but I like beer advocate. I mean, I don't know technical terminology necessarily, but its helpful to know a lot of the things that BA reports -- mouth feel/body, nose, carbonation level. I have preferences with all of those things, so I don't see how it hurts to have reviews. Yes "if you like it you like it" but if someone asks you to try food, don't you ask what it tastes like? What the texture is? Etc.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Schneider Aventinus wheat doppelbock... 1 pint of smoooth 8.4%abv goodness. this might be giving the Weihenstephaner a run for its money as my favorite wheat beer. it certainly packs more of a punch. it's my first time trying a doppel weizen. i like...

for later on, i also picked up a pint of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. we'll see how that is. it caught my eye in the store.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Froggy wrote:Schneider Aventinus wheat doppelbock... 1 pint of smoooth 8.4%abv goodness. this might be giving the Weihenstephaner a run for its money as my favorite wheat beer. it certainly packs more of a punch. it's my first time trying a doppel weizen. i like...

for later on, i also picked up a pint of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. we'll see how that is. it caught my eye in the store.
Young's is really yummy.

The Schneider Aventinus is growing on me too as one of my favorites recently. Unlike the reviews, I still don't get much caramel, but more of a sour, grape/wine/plum taste with subtle maltiness. I think it has just the right amount of carbonation and alcohol burn too. Keep your eye out for the Victory Moonglow -- doppelbock (weizen). Also the Ayinger doppelbock (weizen) is very, very good. The Moonglow is similar to the SA in taste, while the Ayinger is much lighter, bananay notes.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Kraftster wrote:Keep your eye out for the Victory Moonglow -- doppelbock (weizen).
I second this recommendation. I picked up a case of Moonglow last year, and that is an excellent beer.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

my impression of the young's...

very thick... almost like a syrup. ..no carbonation whatsoever... nice bitter chocolate flavor... a bit dissapointing in the finish. not terrible. glad i tried it, but probably wont get it again.