GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Ron` »

Froggy, not thinking you can make a bad choice there.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

the wicked child wrote:Penn Brew U was awesome. Got a shirt and a glass (and a sweet diploma). You get 2 tickets for beers. In addition, each table had an assortment of beer to share. This included Dark, Marzen, Kaiser Pils, 7 springs mountain ale and the 25th anniversary Imperial Pilsner.

Lew Bryson was there and talked about his love for Lagers and such. They had some demonstrations on cooking with beer. We got a tour of the brewery, and finished up with a buffet.

The stars of the buffet were the beer braised short ribs and the Chocolate Meltdown Brownies. We were given recipes for both.

All that for free... Was a great time to say the least.
Penn Brew and a shirt... Sorry to hear there was no weisse on tap. Sounds like a good time overall though.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

just polished off the Schneider Weisse... it was really really quite good.

opened up the Weihenstephaner... ok... first taste=
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

You are making me jealous. Wiped out all my weisse over the last two months. Out of Sam Adams Winter lager too and stuck with my staple Labatts Blue lager left in the bar fridge. I call it a staple from days gone past at hockey games. Go to the game, drink Labatts Blue pounders or larger on tap. This situation must be rectified before superbowl weekend. A complete restock is in order here.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I am by no means a beer snob, and I am just now kind of zeroing in on what I like. I have come to realize that I'm not a big ale fan, especially IPAs, and I love hefeweizens. But this Weihenstephaner... Man... I think I can pretty safely say this is the best beer I've ever had. Just the aroma... And the finish is AMAZING... I don't usually buy the individual pint bottles... Gonna start doing that now
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I have a Schneider Weisse in the fridge for Saturday. Can't wait.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

What's a good beer for the Super Bowl that's available in most regular beer distributors? I'm looking to change it up from the monotonous Natty/Miller/Bud that constitutes a college student's diet.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Staggy wrote:What's a good beer for the Super Bowl that's available in most regular beer distributors? I'm looking to change it up from the monotonous Natty/Miller/Bud that constitutes a college student's diet.
Is there a particular kind of beer you like? If not, I'd suggest a variety pack of something. Or if you're just looking for a solid, drinkable beer, you could go with something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Newcastle, Bass, or Sam Adams. Those tend to be my go to beers if you're just looking for something of decent quality that won't overwhelm you if you drink more than two or three.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

MWB wrote:
Staggy wrote:What's a good beer for the Super Bowl that's available in most regular beer distributors? I'm looking to change it up from the monotonous Natty/Miller/Bud that constitutes a college student's diet.
Is there a particular kind of beer you like? If not, I'd suggest a variety pack of something. Or if you're just looking for a solid, drinkable beer, you could go with something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Newcastle, Bass, or Sam Adams. Those tend to be my go to beers if you're just looking for something of decent quality that won't overwhelm you if you drink more than two or three.
I was thinking about Sierra Nevada, I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Did anyone try Sam Adams Alpine Spring beer yet?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Straub and Straub Special Dark are what I get if I buy a case from the distributor usually.

I'll do Dos Equis or Modelo too.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Kraftster wrote:
Straub and Straub Special Dark are what I get if I buy a case from the distributor usually.

I was avoiding the summer beer choices :)
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

MWB wrote:
Pretty good list here for an upgrade. Though if you are on a tight budget Yuengling Lager in bottles is not a bad choice.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

I don't mind spending some money, it's the Super Bowl so I actually want to drink something pretty good. I like Yuengling but I've had that pretty often and I want to try something new.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

You know what? I was expecting a huge letdown after that Weihenstephaner, but the flying dog holds up. Very very solid. I mean, I've had it before, but now it has more of a frame of reference.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Staggy wrote:I don't mind spending some money, it's the Super Bowl so I actually want to drink something pretty good. I like Yuengling but I've had that pretty often and I want to try something new.
If you really want to go all out and like dark beer, get Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout. Although not sure available that is in distributorships.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Ron` wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

I was avoiding the summer beer choices :)
You're right Mexican beers tend to be good summer beers though I can drink them anytime

What kind of budget are you on. I'd recommend Lion Stout
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Lion Stout is added to my list to try.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

MWB wrote:
Staggy wrote:I don't mind spending some money, it's the Super Bowl so I actually want to drink something pretty good. I like Yuengling but I've had that pretty often and I want to try something new.
If you really want to go all out and like dark beer, get Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout. Although not sure available that is in distributorships.
That's a new one to me too for a stout. Will keep it in mind.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Stagy needs help here, suggestions that won't break the bank but are good for the superbowl weekend. He has stated he he is not adverse to cost and is looking for suggestions that are "quality within reason". Help him out if you can. The bar has been established above Yuengling lager which is already over sampled, (he want's something different).
Last edited by Ron` on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Ron` wrote:
MWB wrote:
Get it. Definitely in my top 5.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

MWB wrote:
Ron` wrote:
MWB wrote:
Get it. Definitely in my top 5.
On my shopping list to try.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Sam Smith's Oatmeal is a good one.

Well, if I don't care about cost and I feel like getting drunk (8.2%), definitely my choice for a case of beer is Troeg's Troegenator. Its a double bock. Its one of my favorite beers. About $38/case or so.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

I'm leaning towards the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as of now. That Oatmeal one sounds delicious but I doubt the distributor I'm going to will have that. Any other suggestions?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Going with these recommendations tonight from Randy The Beer Guy:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/139/65848

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3/1565