Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by Faubert5 »

count2infinity wrote:I want to cook something new this weekend. I could always just hop on the internet and find something but i was seeing if anyone had any good recipes. I like pretty much any food out there, but i'll be cooking for my girl too.

Her Likes:
Spicy
Chicken
Veggies (pretty much any veggie)

i know that seems pretty broad, but does anyone have a great recipe that you really like?

if not i'll just go to my old stand bye... jambalaya.
If you like spicy chicken this stuff is the best there is. You can substitute Crisco for the lard - but it's still not on the heart healthy menu.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/bites/arc ... ken-recipe

The Paste (enough for one or two chicken breasts):

1 tbsp plus 2 tsp lard

3 tbsp cayenne

3 pinches sugar

3/8 tsp salt

¼ tsp garlic powder

Other Ingredients:

Self-rising flour, chicken, white bread, and pickles

All the seasoning is in the paste; dredge the chicken in plain self-rising flour. Fry it.

Mix all of the ingredients for the paste (microwaving the lard for about 30 seconds will make this easier). Apply it evenly and liberally to the fried chicken using either a basting brush or your latex glove-protected hands. Note: I generally use about a teaspoonful of paste for each side of a chicken breast. This method is the only way I know to get the orange, grease-soaked white bread that is the hallmark of all true hot chicken.

When you've covered the top half, flip it over onto a piece of white bread and finish the job. Enjoy.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I want to make some buffalo chicken dip tomorrow.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I have a bunch of Montreal Steak Seasonings in my cupboard that are expired. I really dont see how a dry seasoning could expire. Anyone have advice on this?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I have a bunch of Montreal Steak Seasonings in my cupboard that are expired. I really dont see how a dry seasoning could expire. Anyone have advice on this?
I really like that seasoning. I marinade steaks with it and some oil / red wine vinegar.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I have a bunch of Montreal Steak Seasonings in my cupboard that are expired. I really dont see how a dry seasoning could expire. Anyone have advice on this?
The oils and such that give the flavor to it can degrade over time and expire. Very similar to a car air freshener. If you've never opened them before then they still should be good, but if they've been opened, oxygen can get in there, and oxygen is a fairly reactive gas that will interact with the seasoning. They're not going to hurt you if they've expired, they just may not pack the same punch they did when you first bought them.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The first thing you should when you decide to get serious about cooking is go into your spice cabinet....... and throw everything away.

Dried herbs lose potency over time, usually between 8-10 months from their creation, which might have been weeks or months before you ever bought them in the store.

As c2i rightly points out, these things have volatile ingredients that degrade over a fairly short period of time. And most of us tend to keep spices and the like for a reeeeeeeeally long time..........
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i keep most of my herbs and spices relatively fresh--except for the expensive ones i rarely use
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

count2infinity wrote:
The oils and such that give the flavor to it can degrade over time and expire. Very similar to a car air freshener. If you've never opened them before then they still should be good, but if they've been opened, oxygen can get in there, and oxygen is a fairly reactive gas that will interact with the seasoning. They're not going to hurt you if they've expired, they just may not pack the same punch they did when you first bought them.
Good info to know. My main concern was them hurting me. I stocked up on them a few years back when Giant Eagle would put them on sale 4 or 5 for 10 because I use them all of the time. They used to be 2.89 not on sale. Now they are 4.29, so I hate to have to start over. I have many that are un-opened.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

even the unopened ones will degrade over time, but you're not going to die or get sick from using them.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

tifosi77 wrote:The first thing you should when you decide to get serious about cooking is go into your spice cabinet....... and throw everything away.
i enjoy cooking, but i wouldn't say i'm serious about it in any sort of way. i make due with what i have and what i can afford and make things that taste good to me. sure there might be better techniques, ingredients, herbs, etc that might make my food taste better, but if you like it, then cook it and eat it. cooking, IMO, should be fun and something you enjoy, that is unless you do it as a profession...
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

I don't know if I've posted this yet:

Has anyone ever cooked pork chops in their spaghetti sauce? It tastes outstanding.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.food.com/recipe/pecorino-rom ... ast-168457

This recipe certainly will not win any awards for complexity, but I was in the mood for a quick easy dinner tonight, and it delivered. The breading is awesome. Just had a small pasta side and a vegetable.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:I don't know if I've posted this yet:

Has anyone ever cooked pork chops in their spaghetti sauce? It tastes outstanding.
I've never used chops, but country style ribs are awesome.
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... 7#p1688377
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Fiancée cooked some chicken breast in a cracked black pepper and paired with A Caesar salad.

Using one of the Kraft skillet things in the dressing aisle
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Tonight was pre-made stuffed cabbage (Pigs in blanket, halumpki etc...) I posted how to stage them before, without freezer burn or over cooking. We put exactly how many we needed in a small crock pot before we left for work this morning. Came home to that welcome smell of fresh cooked stuffed cabbage. We just had to make some mashed potatoes to finish our meal.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

For a quick alternative to instant mashed potatoes the Bob Evans side dishes in the refrigerated section are very tasty.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

making lasagna tonight with fresh spinach pasta.... i'll post pictures later.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Right on, c2i...... that's how it's made in Emilia-Romagna and Bologna.

Spinach pasta, ragu Bolognese, bescamel, Parmigiano-Reggiano...... bake until delicious.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm going with spinach pasta, itallian sausage and ground lamb... i'll add my own seasonings. ricotta and then make it nice and cheesy. also have bread dough rising.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

pictures as promised:

Spinach pasta dough:
Spoiler:
The lasagna (with a slice of the bread I made as well):
Spoiler:
I had some left over pasta, so i cut it into fettuccine and froze it for some other time:
Spoiler:
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

I have cooked meat for the past two days. Weird experience for me. I have a dog recovering from parvo and, to get her to eat, I cook brown rice, meat, and veggies for her.

The funny part is that I got chicken on the bone to save some money, but I honestly couldn't figure out how to get it off the bone. So I called my mother-in-law and she said to boil it first. :lol:

Today I got ground turkey. Much easier, but still weird.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

hopefully if you're boiling the chicken, you're throwing in carrots, onions and celery and making a good stock out of it....
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

redwill wrote:I have cooked meat for the past two days. Weird experience for me. I have a dog recovering from parvo and, to get her to eat, I cook brown rice, meat, and veggies for her.

The funny part is that I got chicken on the bone to save some money, but I honestly couldn't figure out how to get it off the bone. So I called my mother-in-law and she said to boil it first. :lol:

Today I got ground turkey. Much easier, but still weird.
Is it weird cause your vegetarian or am I missing something here? lol
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

count2infinity wrote:hopefully if you're boiling the chicken, you're throwing in carrots, onions and celery and making a good stock out of it....
Speaking of this and of dogs, we always put in some extra veggies when making a soup stock and give them to the dog throughout the next week. Carrots and celery with chicken. He loves them. Other than the vegetables and fruits that dogs should not eat, my dog loves basically every vegetable or fruit you give him other than radishes and lettuce/cabbage (which some way you should not give them).
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

There are very few things that my dog will not eat.